gnasher

Will a simple Flash website work ?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:06 am

I am planning on getting a Pi but want to know if this childrens maths website will work ?
http://www.mathletics.co.uk
I would plan on installing Gnash to get basic flash support.

If anyone could check this I would be very grateful
Thanks

jaylongley

Re: Will a simple Flash website work ?

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:20 pm

it may work, just not with gnash alone..
http://www.InstantSupportSite.com/self-help/

itimpi

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:36 pm

I will be very surprised if any flash based sites work. Gnash tries to support flash but not really to any usable level.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:02 pm

I would guess no chance.
That is not a simple flash site...

nick_delves

Wed May 11, 2016 8:22 am

I've set up a Pi3 B with the latest version of Raspbian for my 6 year old daughter to use. I have installed the 'Iceweasel' browser, which works very well. She loves using Mathletics.

Jaylongley (rather cryptically) wrote in this thread on the 5th Aug 2013 "it (Mathletics) may work, just not with gnash alone.."

I have installed Gnash flash and I've looked at a Flash site (aloysia.com) which works fine in Iceweasel.

Yesterday I contacted the Mathletics support and they replied "Unfortunately Mathletics is not supported on Linux distros. This is down to there not being any official flash support from Adobe for ARM based processors.
We are currently developing the site in HTML5 so in the future there will no longer be a dependency on flash, however till then it is required for using the website."

Has there been any progress since this thread of August 2013? Can anyone help me get my daughters Pi to run Mathletics?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 12, 2016 6:25 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
What you were told yesterday is still the same today ;)
Search the forums for FLASH related questions, but basically what you were told about adobe, ARM processors and moving forward with HTLM5 is the answer to the question.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

nick_delves

Fri May 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi Texy
Thank you for responding, however I'm still in the dark. I don't believe there is an answer to my Mathletics conundrum lurking in the Flash related questions within this forum. Mathletics Support, who replied to me on the 10th May stated that there is "no 'official' Flash support for ARM based processors" as the reason the Mathletic website will not work on my daughters Raspberry Pi. But with the installation of Gnash I have other Flash sites working in Iceweasel. So clearly there is a further reason, beyond Flash, why Mathletics is not functioning.
So I guess my real question is:
Is there a routine, program or other work-around available over and above 'Gnash' that I can run to enable the Mathletics website on my daughters Raspberry Pi? If (in the unlikely instance that) there is would you mind, awfully, slapping the code into this post.

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 pm

nick_delves wrote:Hi Texy
Thank you for responding, however I'm still in the dark. I don't believe there is an answer to my Mathletics conundrum lurking in the Flash related questions within this forum. Mathletics Support, who replied to me on the 10th May stated that there is "no 'official' Flash support for ARM based processors" as the reason the Mathletic website will not work on my daughters Raspberry Pi. But with the installation of Gnash I have other Flash sites working in Iceweasel. So clearly there is a further reason, beyond Flash, why Mathletics is not functioning.
So I guess my real question is:
Is there a routine, program or other work-around available over and above 'Gnash' that I can run to enable the Mathletics website on my daughters Raspberry Pi? If (in the unlikely instance that) there is would you mind, awfully, slapping the code into this post.
Gnash is equivalent to Adobe Flash around version 9 and no longer developed, currently Adobe Flash is around version 20.

If you have RPi 2B or 3B you could install Chromium Browser and PepperFlash, but it is hit and miss whether it will suffice:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=99202

Not the answer you want but you could buy a cheap Android Tablet, it appears they offer an Android App..
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

Return to “Beginners”