VishmanX

Noob at raspberry pi, want to hook up arduino or its shields

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:15 am

So I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I'm a total noob at this. I'm in high school and am really interested in computers. I recently started a project to do home automation, and security. Currently I'm teaching myself Python but then I'm starting the project. I want to use some Arduino shields for the project and for future ones. I want to know if I can directly connect the pi to the shields or if I need a arduino uno or such hooked to the pi. I did see some bridge boards between arduino shields and Raspberry pis but they were out of budget, if anyone has a cheap solution it would be great. Also, if this is possible recommendations for how to do the automation would be really helpful. Thanks for any help.

elektrknight

Re: Noob at raspberry pi, want to hook up arduino or its shi

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:16 am

VishmanX wrote:I want to use some Arduino shields for the project and for future ones. I want to know if I can directly connect the pi to the shields or if I need a arduino uno or such hooked to the pi.
The problem with using Arduino shields is that most of them require 5V power supply. Pi's GPIO P1 header provides the necessary 5V but the Pi GPIO pins are not 5V tolerant. If you hookup a shield that drives Pi's GPIO with voltage level above 3.3V then you have a problem and potentially damaged Pi. Now you see the reason for the bridge boards which not only adapt shield pinout but also provide voltage level translation to protect Pi GPIO.

If you have a shield that works with the 3.3V power supply then you can use it safely as long as you power it with 3.3V.
Again Pi P1 header provides the 3.3V power but it has a current limitation of about 50 mA and shield has to stay below this limit at all times.
if anyone has a cheap solution it would be great.
This "Raspberry Pi - P1 Connector DIY Kit for 20 GPIO Pins Wires" kit can be used to connect Arduino shield directly to GPIO.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181110062203
Also, if this is possible recommendations for how to do the automation would be really helpful.
What exactly are you trying to automate?
Placek Malinowy to jest to!

VishmanX

Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Garage automation, lights and maybe the thermostat. Is this complex for a total beginner or someone in high school? Yes but I want to learn.

DougieLawson

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:51 pm

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Beginners”