ADAMPOKE111

Re: Debian "squeeze"

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:35 am

OK, So I read the details on the downloads page and it says user:pi
And password:raspberry so I get that but whats the root password?

Chris.Rowland

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:58 am

AIUI Debian doesn't use a root password.  You run as root by prefixing commands with the command sudo.

There's been quite a lot of discussion about this, a search with give more information.  I'd try the search term password to start with.

This needs to be in the wiki somewhere.

Bollard

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:27 am

Chris Rowland said:

AIUI Debian doesn't use a root password.  You run as root by prefixing commands with the command sudo.

There's been quite a lot of discussion about this, a search with give more information.  I'd try the search term password to start with.

People need to stop saying this as the default answer though too. A lot of programs require that you enter the root password to even run them, and for people who will be using the GUI telling them to use sudo won't help at all.

If you want to set a password (because it's the only damn way to make the icons in the start menu do their job (like for Gparted)) then type:

sudo passwd root

Then you can enter a password for root user privileges.

rubikwizard

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:42 am

Bollard said:

Chris Rowland said:

People need to stop saying this as the default answer though too. A lot of programs require that you enter the root password to even run them, and for people who will be using the GUI telling them to use sudo won't help at all.

If you want to set a password (because it's the only damn way to make the icons in the start menu do their job (like for Gparted)) then type:

sudo passwd root

Then you can enter a password for root user privileges.

That's great! I was really getting puzzled by people saying there is no root password and yet many of the GUI programs were asking for it.

Chris.Rowland

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:48 am

There are a couple of ways to get the GUI to be able to run applications as root, sudo passwd root and setting a password is one, changing sudo-mode is another.  There is information about both in these forums and I think this information should be in the wiki.

Unfortunately neither of these work with many GUI applications.  Neither Leafpad nor the file manager will run as administrator, even after these changes have been made. I have asked about this on several occasions but not had any help.

It's a shame but in many cases there isn't a practical alternative to using a terminal.

ADAMPOKE111

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks this all really helped! I never knew sudo was a commmand and you could add a root password!

gimliflea

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Try starting leafpad from a terminal using sudo this will then prompt for password and bring leafpad up with root priviledges I expect. (Works in ubuntu)

Return to “Beginners”