rubikwizard

Re: Debian (19/4) Display on LG TV

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi

I got my RasPi a few days ago and used the older Debian image on my LG 22LG3000 TV and the picture was crisp and sharp and filled the screen entirely with nothing missing. The TV was in 720p mode which is as much as it can do.

Today I installed the newer Debian image (April 19) and now I have a black border approx 1 inch at top and bottom and approx 0.25 inch at left and right. This is during startup and also after 'startx'. The TV is still in 720p mode. Text now looks a little 'blurry'.

I have read all the forum threads about overscan/underscan etc. but to be honest I really don't understand them!

What can I do to get the display back to what it was on the older Debian image?

Many thanks!

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Create a file called config.txt on boot partition containing "disable_overscan=1"

rubikwizard

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:24 pm

dom said:

Create a file called config.txt on boot partition containing "disable_overscan=1"

Have just tried that and it makes no difference. Display still the same after a reboot.

itsonlyme

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:46 pm

I was messing about getting that to work for ages, until I finally got it right. Serious  misunderstanding on my part.

The config.txt file goes in the directory named boot and I had to remove the quotes to get it to work, which it is doing now.

rubikwizard

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:04 pm

itsonlyme said:

I was messing about getting that to work for ages, until I finally got it right. Serious  misunderstanding on my part.

The config.txt file goes in the directory named boot and I had to remove the quotes to get it to work, which it is doing now.

I have not put the quotes in but how do you get it into the "boot" directory? I just saved it to "Pi". When the machine boots up if I type "ls" I can see the config.txt file. Is this not the correct place?

dom

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:16 pm

No.

You can create the file in windows. The boot partition is what you see on the sdcard.

From Pi:

sudo sh -c "echo disable_overscan=1 >> /boot/config.txt"

Bollard

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:24 am

I'm really glad the newest Debian image actually added the overscan thing, cause when I started up my RPi my TV doesn't adjust automatically, and in fact doesn't even have any built in options. I ended up writing my own config file with an adjustment of 30px top and bottom and 40 at the sides.

However, this new overscan adjustment is wonky on my screen, which means I'll probably turn it off and use my own values again... At least new users won't be confused why they can't even see the log in line.

Oh and sound works, yay!

rubikwizard

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:22 am

dom said:

No.

You can create the file in windows. The boot partition is what you see on the sdcard.

From Pi:

sudo sh -c "echo disable_overscan=1 >> /boot/config.txt"

Thanks, it is working now!

Why couldn't I save the config file to this location from Leafpad?

Return to “Beginners”