Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:08 pm

Torrent
debian6-19-04-2012.zip.torrent

Direct download
debian6-19-04-2012.zip

SHA-1
1852df83a11ee7083ca0e5f3fb41f93ecc59b1c8

Default login
Username: pi Password: raspberry    Note changed password!

Re: whats the root password for debian 19-4-2012

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Cleaver boy thats the user name not the root password or root user

spurious

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:26 pm

sorry.. missread..

root is not set as default

"sudo" will let you run commands with super user privileges.

so to set the root password you could write:

"sudo passwd root"

but for general running this is not needed, as you can run commands using sudo

Bollard

Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:27 pm

spurious said:

sorry.. missread..

root is not set as default

"sudo" will let you run commands with super user privileges.

so to set the root password you could write:

"sudo passwd root"

but for general running this is not needed, as you can run commands using sudo

I would agree with this, but whenever you start programs like Gparted it asks for the root password, so I think you do need to set one to be able to use the Pi. Unless, can you sudo gparted in the terminal and have it skip that password check? I don't know, maybe. But still, if you wanna click the icon in the start menu of any program which requires root privileges, the sudo passwd root method works.

rick_2k

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:51 pm

I can confirm this issue as i have ran into it many times. Some applications dont care for the pi user or password privileges. They seem to want root.. but it doesn't exist right?

You can get around it in the terminal but a bit annoying really. Im new to linux so hopefully in the future i can find out how to make a "standard" root account

spurious

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:01 pm

rick_2k said:

I can confirm this issue as i have ran into it many times. Some applications dont care for the pi user or password privileges. They seem to want root.. but it doesn't exist right?

You can get around it in the terminal but a bit annoying really. Im new to linux so hopefully in the future i can find out how to make a "standard" root account

As I stated earlier "sudo passwd root" is what you are after.

This will set the root account password, so you can then use root

rew

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:14 am

No, as far as I know, it doesn't ask for the root password. It asks for YOUR password. "raspberry" By default.

(or at least that's what it should be doing, as 10 years ago they decided that putting a password on "root" is not a good idea).
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

Chris.Rowland

Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:36 am

No it doesn't.  I've tried it and no password works.

One way to fix this is to modify the way things work so things running under LXDE are sudo aware.  this involved modifying sudo-mode (It's on the forum somewhere but I don't have the details to hand).

If you do this you get a message saying that no password is required.

The other way is to set a root password with the sudo passwd root command.

greglogan

Tue May 15, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do this but I found how to login as root user.

Login as normal after startup using pi then raspberry. Instead of typing startx type sudo su. This will log you in as root. Now type startx.

Mods, if this is inappropriate, please delete!

Greg.

BTW if you screw up your image file or worse, please dont blame me!!

Joe Schmoe

Tue May 15, 2012 8:37 pm

I'm curious; does anyone really think this sudo nonsense accomplishes anything?

In particular, let me say that somewhere down the road, when everything is stable and the Pi is considered old hat technology, and everybody is happily writing their novels and composing their spreadsheets, then it might make sense for people to do their work as a "normal" user and only need "root" once a year or so. But we're not there - and probably won't be for a long, long, long time. In the meantime, it seems just about every command has to be preceded with sudo. So, the problem is that it becomes like the "kill -9" problem (*) - users tend to assume it doesn't mean anything, it is just something that you have to type - a meaningless magic incantation. The net result is less, not more, respect for the power and danger of the root account. Department of unintended consequences, and all that...

(*) I can explain what I mean by this if needed. But Google ought to bring it up for you.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

croston

Tue May 15, 2012 10:42 pm

A bug in the RPi Debian distribution - applications in X still ask for the root password, not the sudo password. You can fix this with the following command:

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 -\-type bool -\-set /apps/gksu/sudo-mode true
This bug was noticed a few weeks ago but the Debian image has not been re-released since.

gggow

Sun May 27, 2012 1:53 pm

don't try to look for one just sudo the root password.

dukla2000

Sun May 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:I'm curious; does anyone really think this sudo nonsense accomplishes anything?
I find it a complete PITA. I am coming from SuSE and su in a terminal if/when I have the need and can do a whole heap of stuff without prefixing each line with sudo. Which makes sense to me.

OTOH I know Linus threw his toys out the cot a few months ago because his daughter's PC running SuSE asked for a root password - obviously his view is in the camp it is deprecated. And it is his toy!
Daily driver: Pi3B, 64GB Samsung Evo+ @100MHz, DVB-T, onboard WiFi for internet, BT/USB dongle for KB/mouse, 250GB HDD via USB for media, Raspbian Jessie Lite with Openbox desktop.
Museum: Pi B

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 27, 2012 9:05 pm

I've found that sftp won't work (r/w) without logging in as root. Now I can do it. Thanks guys now I can upload things to my Pi from other machines (in Debian - it already worked in Arch as root) :D
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

MrEngman

Sun May 27, 2012 9:46 pm

croston wrote:A bug in the RPi Debian distribution - applications in X still ask for the root password, not the sudo password. You can fix this with the following command:

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 -\-type bool -\-set /apps/gksu/sudo-mode true
This bug was noticed a few weeks ago but the Debian image has not been re-released since.
If you type " sudo su" and then "startx" X11 runs as root and won't as for root passwords.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

mrtenchy

Tue May 29, 2012 11:52 am

It is not set to begin with in my experience.
I had go assign it a password first. This is where I went for the answer
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/what-is-th ... -password/

error404

Tue May 29, 2012 6:44 pm

dukla2000 wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:I'm curious; does anyone really think this sudo nonsense accomplishes anything?
I find it a complete PITA. I am coming from SuSE and su in a terminal if/when I have the need and can do a whole heap of stuff without prefixing each line with sudo. Which makes sense to me.
If you need to do a whole bunch of stuff as root and are willing to take the risk of doing something stupid, just get a root shell with sudo -s or sudo su. Is it really that inconvenient? If you really want to it's not that hard to give root a password either.

I think it is an improvement over su, which asks for a password every single time and has no facility for restricting certain actions while allowing others. However in a single user system I do think its merits are less obvious. However it's best practice and ignoring security is never a good idea no matter how simple or cheap the box.

flxsource

Wed May 30, 2012 6:39 pm

dukla2000 wrote:

OTOH I know Linus threw his toys out the cot a few months ago because his daughter's PC running SuSE asked for a root password - obviously his view is in the camp it is deprecated. And it is his toy!

The use of sudo is highly recommended. Not only can you give permissions to run a subset of commands as root to specific user accounts, but it means that actions that would otherwise be attributed to a generic "root" can be tied to a specific user.

This is even before mentioning that it provides a pause for you to think "should I really be doing this?". If it irritates you that much, you can configure sudo to not require a password. There are occasions where a true root is required, but these are very rare and can usually be solved with 'sudo su', as mentioned previously.

pgtaylor

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:04 pm

"sudo passwd root" worked for me....I can now run my own compiled programs ( couldn't access bin folder without priviliges before)...thanks whoever it was gave solution :D

usbspyder

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:58 am

There is one case where you will need root password :

Add a user to the pi, add this user to the list of allowed sudo users and get the file permissions wrong (through unfamiliarity with the editor used with visudo.

You can not then sudo to correct the problem.

arrrrrrgggggghhhhh

So before adding users and mucking around with /etc/sudoers make sure you have another terminal open with a root prompt, and check sudo still works.

Think i'm in for a reinstall.

usbspyder

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:25 am

Solved the sudoers file permissions problem :

Mounted the ext4 sd card partition on another Linux machine, and changed the permissions back to 400.

All works again without a re-install :D

AndrewS

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:05 pm

pgtaylor wrote:"sudo passwd root" worked for me....I can now run my own compiled programs ( couldn't access bin folder without priviliges before)...thanks whoever it was gave solution :D
Arghh, I'd suggest that this is the "wrong solution to the problem"!
Rather than switching to root and copying your compiled programs to the "system bin folder" it would be much better to do "mkdir $HOME/bin", add "export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin" to the end of $HOME/.profile and then copy your compiled programs to $HOME/bin/
:)

RustedFaith

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi

I am not sure what the default root details is but you can do the following to reset it.

Press Ctrl + Alt + F3 to get a new console (Press Ctrl + Alt + F2 to get back to LXDE)

Type: sudo passwd root
It will ask for YOUR (you’re currently logged in as pi) password, so give it raspberry
Then it asks for the new password (this is for root) twice, so put this in.

As soon as you’ve done this you can switch back to LXDE (Ctrl + Alt + F2, remember?) and enter the password you just created.

Return to “Beginners”