KissMyDAFFODIL

Re: whats the root password for debian 19-4-2012

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Default login Username: pi Password: raspberry

Bernard Hurley

Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Actually there are some things for which you definitely do need a root password, for instance if you are wish to ssh to the root account from a remote machine.

error404

Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Bernard Hurley wrote:if you are wish to ssh to the root account from a remote machine.
Best practice would be to disable remote root login entirely...

sasman20

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:32 pm

raspberry does not work please advise?

gregology

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:36 am

Add

Code: Select all

pi:paXGik.c2ScQo:14901:0:99999:7:::
to /etc/shadow then login with username "pi" and password "raspberry".
Gho.st - Gregology.net - @Gregologynet

djdole

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:19 am

sudo passwd

(That will run "passwd" as root, which will set the root password.)
You will be prompted to enter and confirm the new password.

Yachtsman25

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:50 pm

I've been using Linux for years, since the millennium actually Mandrake, Mandriva and now Mageia. I think this Rasperion is why people use Windows, this is ****ing terrible. You at raspberry have the chance of doing a great thing get a grip

Yachtsman25

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:04 pm

I think I should share with you how things are arranged at Mageia. Everyone logs on as a user, you can't get round it, then if you are the Superuser you can click that icon and the system asks you for the superuser password then your it, as long as you keep doing superuser stuff but if you stop you are timed out and asked the password again. :)

dterr41958

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 am

greglogan wrote:I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do this but I found how to login as root user.

Login as normal after startup using pi then raspberry. Instead of typing startx type sudo su. This will log you in as root. Now type startx.

Mods, if this is inappropriate, please delete!

Greg.

BTW if you screw up your image file or worse, please dont blame me!!
:o :o Greg thank you for your "root" Post !!! You are the man !! I have been looking for this anwser for a while now and seemed know one could or would tell me how to login as root. Thanks

Derek Terrell
Derek Terrell
Raspberry Pi Novice
"Just keep smiling"
dterr41958@netzero.com

jormak

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:37 pm

You should create password for root as the first thing after first login.
By playing with sudo you can accidentally play yourself out of the system.

I was about to give: sudo chmod -x /usr/bin/SomeFile but I accidentally hit
Enter instead of Shift button and i gave sudo chmod -x /usr/bin (WARNING ! Don't do this!)

GAME OVER! you do not have permission to use sudo anymore or do anything
which can restore the system. I installed new operating system.

I'm still interested to know if anybody knows a way to solve this problem without re-installing OS ?

MiriamEnglish

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:56 am

It has always seemed to me that this division between root and standard user on a single-user machine is kind of silly. Yes, you can trash your machine as root user, but you can trash it because of this forced division too, as the previous commenter shows.

On multi-user machines, having separate user accounts that are not allowed to intrude into each other's account or to meddle with the machine's core programs makes very good sense, but forcing the owner of a single-user machine permanently into this way of working is just plain nonsense. The Raspberry Pi is an experimenter's machine. Keeping the real power out of their hands is a big mistake. Even in the unlikely event of trashing the OS, big deal. Just rewrite the flash card. That's why the Pi was designed with the OS on an ordinary flash card.

I use various versions of Puppy Linux on all my computers at home. Puppy Linux logs you in as root as standard practise. Certain processes get run with restricted rights but the human user is root user. When I was learning about Linux many years back with Puppy I did trash my system a few times, but it was never a big deal when re-installing is so easy. (Puppy is about 100MB and can be run off CD without actually installing if desired.) And I'll bet I learned lots more about Linux in the process than people living in the cotton-wool "protected" world of sudo.

Consider people who don't let their kids play on the swings or let them climb trees, or swim without floaties. The over-protected world is an impoverished one, and paradoxically dangerous one. If you break a limb when you're young, it mends easily, whereas breaking that same limb as an adult can be catastrophic and it might never mend properly. Similarly, breaking the Pi's OS is not a big problem and is easily fixed, but if you graduate to a job on a big computer where your inability to understand the consequences causes millions of dollars worth of damage... well... you get my point. Best to really understand on the little, easily fixed one.

I think the disallowing of root access has become part of computer myth, like the mistaken, but incredibly widely held belief, that the GOTO command is bad. It became accepted into computer folklore without any real basis in experimental fact.

MiriamEnglish

Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:56 am

I didn't answer the original question about logging into your Raspberry Pi as root user (though it has been pretty-much answered already by others).

You only need to do this once:
  • boot the Pi.
  • do a normal login as user pi with your normal password
  • now type sudo passwd root and answer the prompt with the root password you want to set.
From now on whenever you log into your Raspberry Pi you have the choice of logging in as pi or root. If you choose to be pi then at any time later you can still run stuff from a terminal as root by typing login root and supplying the root password you chose earlier.

MiriamEnglish

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:28 pm

jormak wrote:I was about to give: sudo chmod -x /usr/bin/SomeFile but I accidentally hit
Enter instead of Shift button and i gave sudo chmod -x /usr/bin (WARNING ! Don't do this!)

GAME OVER! you do not have permission to use sudo anymore or do anything
which can restore the system. I installed new operating system.

I'm still interested to know if anybody knows a way to solve this problem without re-installing OS ?
I would put the flash card into another Linux computer (in a card reader) and fix it there, changing the file mode bits back, then replace the card back into the Raspberry Pi, good as new. Alternatively if there is no other computer available, boot the Raspberry Pi on another SD card and alter the problematic card using a card reader.

gordon12

Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:52 pm

Ok after reading posts on how to reset root password or indeed finding root password , it solved all problems encountered with
ssh login from mac : loss of startx :loss of lxsession: I have no name:and more.

So perhaps User, rick_2k and others should give them selves a good pat on the back many thanks to you all :D :D :D :D

Crumbo

gksu

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Guys, if you're trying to use gparted or any other GUI program and give it root privileges, there's a command for that: gksu.

gksu gparted

or

gksu gedit /etc/fstab

This will start up the GUI program and there won't be any more permissions errors while you use it. Regarding using gedit to edit the fstab file, the usual permissions issue would be inability to save any changes, although it would let you read the file. Using gksu gives it persmission to save changes.

It's equivalent to how sudo works with programs that have no GUI.

gugol

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:46 am

Did you have a look in the FAQ section of this forum?
I think there is the answer you are looking for:

http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianFAQ#How ... account.3F

silentnightdan

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:26 am

Have you tried running whatever your trying to do with sudo?

mrfledo

Fri May 01, 2015 4:17 pm

1. Login to the pi as normal
2. do sudo passwd root
3. enter a password
4. enter a same password
5. should say password updated successfully
6. restart pi
7. username = root
8. password = one you set at stage 3+4

DougieLawson

Fri May 01, 2015 9:19 pm

mrfledo wrote:1. Login to the pi as normal
2. do sudo passwd root
3. enter a password
4. enter a same password
5. should say password updated successfully
6. restart pi
7. username = root
8. password = one you set at stage 3+4
Step 6 isn't needed. You can logout of a shell with an exit command or [CTRL]+[D].
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

timr15

Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:35 pm

to access the GUI as Root:
First open terminal and type:
sudo passwd root

Then type in a new password and confirm again on each prompt

Now click on the Pi Menu and go to Shutdown and choose Log out and click ok

now type in root and click login
and finally type in the new password you created

Now you are logged in as root on the GUI. :mrgreen:

Zelbo

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:42 pm

https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianFAQ

"Don't do this unless you're certain that you want and need a true root account. sudo will take care of root tasks for you nicely in almost all cases.
However, if you do want a root account so you can log in as root or su to a root account, just type:
sudo passwd
This will let you enter a password for the root account. Be careful to make it a secure one!"

Return to “Beginners”