nuclearwessels

Connecting to unsecured wifi network

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:31 pm

So, I am trying to connect to an unsecured network using my RPi and D-Link Wireless N Nano USB Adapter (DWA-131, Realtek RTL8192SU). Normally, when you sign onto the network, the internet browser redirects you to a webpage where you register your computer. Right now, I'm having issues having the network show up on my RPi.

So far, I have installed "firmware-realtek", and the dongle appears when I type in "lsmod", so I think I have all the drivers/firmware I need to run it. I am having problems creating my /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf files. I know that the internet is unsecured (doesn't use WPA), but I cannot figure out what these files should say to make the dongle and RPi connect to the network. (Most documentation shows you how to set up the WPA network, not an unsecured one.) Any help?

MrEngman

Re: Connecting to unsecured wifi network

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:08 pm

You can set up for an unsecured network by just editing file /etc/network/interfaces as follows.

Code: Select all

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid Your-Network-Name
Do not put Your-Network-Name in quotation marks.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Return to “Beginners”