j8t

Re: Few teething problems

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi!

I very excitedly took delivery of my Pi on Tuesday and have had a good play.

It setup fine on my main TV over HDMI, except I had to reflash the SD card, for some reason it wouldn't boot initially.

Running Debian squeeze as the recommended distro.  I got proftp up and running just fine and have been able to SSH in, so all good there.

What I am having trouble with, is, hooking the Pi up to my 2nd TV (again over HDMI).  The screen resolution defaults to '1200 x 800' but the native resolution of my screen is 1366 x 768.  I've tried setting this on xrandr but to no avail.  Will update post with error message, but it is something about not being able to determine gamma for outpt device.

My second issue is, I wanted to get the gnome desktop environment - one of the reasons was so I could serve a remote X Window Session over SSH.  I'm using 'apt-get install gnome' - all goes well until:

Need to get 553 MB of archives.
After this operation, 1,485 MB of additional disk space will be used.
E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/. So I went and got gparted - thought I would be able to resize the partition, however, when I get to resize I get the following message: Error: Partition /dev/mmcblk0p2 is being used. You must unmount it before you
modify it with Parted. So I do umount /dev/mmcblk0p2 and it tells me it's not mounted? Any ideas? Cheers in advance! James

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:00 am

gparted cannot edit the partition it is running from!

You could boot a Linux Live CD on a PC, with Gparted, and using a sd-card reader access the partition.

perhaps in the future it will be possible to boot a distro that runs completely from RAM, so the SD card can be released (unmounted) until that time what you want isn't possible with just the raspberry PI.

j8t

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks for your advice mahjongg - I thought it may be something like that.  I thought everything required to run parted would be committed to RAM, but as you mentioned, this isn't the case.

Cheers for your advice!

RaspberryWizard

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:50 am

Sorry to say so, but I don't think that Gnome will run on a Pi. It's quite heavyweight and even if you could get it going would be REALLY slow (unusable). Sorry :(

lazarus78

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:13 pm

j8t wrote: What I am having trouble with, is, hooking the Pi up to my 2nd TV (again over HDMI).  The screen resolution defaults to '1200 x 800' but the native resolution of my screen is 1366 x 768.  I've tried setting this on xrandr but to no avail.  Will update post with error message, but it is something about not being able to determine gamma for outpt device.
You can change the resolution in the /boot/config.txt

Return to “Beginners”