dylanpank

Re: USB over HDMI

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:45 am

Hello, sorry if this question has been asked and answered but I couldn't find it.

Would the HDMI connection via a DVI adaptor work connect the USB sockets on a monitor? If so and I got a monitor with USB connections connected via HDMI/DVI-D would the mouse and keyboard connect via that rather than needing to get a USB hub?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:50 am

No, the HDMI cable doesn't transmit USB (although there is a variant that can transport Ethernet).

It sound like your monitor can act as a hub, so you need to connect the Raspi to the USB In socket on the monitor using a standard USB->USB cable.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

RaTTuS

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:51 am

no,

you may be able to power the RPI from the usb connection on the TV but YMWV
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

frying_fish

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:54 am

Most monitors with USB ports on the monitor are actually just monitors with an integrated USB hub. Typically they have a USB B connector somewhere on them that you then use your USB A-> USB B cable to connect into the usb port you want to use from the system. Whether that hub is powered or not is a different question.

I haven't come across any monitors that provide a USB connection over HDMI/DVI yet, but I could be wrong.

frying_fish

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:56 am

JamesH said:

No, the HDMI cable doesn't transmit USB (although there is a variant that can transport Ethernet).

It sound like your monitor can act as a hub, so you need to connect the Raspi to the USB In socket on the monitor using a standard USB->USB cable.

Oh good, I did think there was only the ethernet variation in the spec for HDMI.

Return to “Beginners”