lethalhippo

Rasberry Pi Doesn't Do... Anything...

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:35 pm

So my rasberry pi came today, and for some reason it doesn't work. Here's the steps I took to make it work in detail.

So I began following the instructions, step by step. First I opened my case, and placed the Rasberry Pi inside it. I closed the case. I setup the SD card. I began by downloading the program to format the SD card. I then plugged in the SD card. I ran the installer. I opened the program. I set the "format size adjustment" option to ON, I made sure I had the correct SD card selected. I clicked format. I waited for it to load. I downloaded the "NOOBS_v1_2.zip" file. I extracted it to a folder called "NOOBS_v1_2" and copied that folder onto the SD card. I removed the SD card. I plugged the SD card into the Rasberry Pi. I then began to connect the RCA cables. I got the RCA cables. I connected the yellow plug into the rasberry pi. I connected the yellow, red, and white plugs into my TV in the corresponding slots. I plugged in a USB mouse. I turned on the TV. I plugged in my power cord, which was a micro usb with 5v and 1.2A. The LED came on. A white flash came up on the screen. Nothing further happened.

Here's three issues I examined that could have been the root of its not working:
1) RCA leads are old and for some reason don't work.
2) I somehow incorrectly formatted the SD card or messed up putting the NOOBS in
3) I was peeking around and tried to run the "recovery" disc image file on my computer. It informed me that the file was corrupt.

Please help me, $42 is a fairly large sum of money for a 15 year old and I expect it to work.

lethalhippo

Re: Rasberry Pi Doesn't Do... Anything...

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Looking into it, when I put the SD card back into my computer, it tells me the SD card only has 1.17 GB...

jbeale

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Hardware problems do exist but relatively rare so the good news is, the most likely cause of failure is something you can fix.

Early on, the big problem was power supply adaptors- many cell phone chargers (and cables!) don't provide adequate current to the R-Pi. 1.2A would be plenty, assuming the labeling is correct. Also, various SD card issues.

This might seem silly, but did you put the SD card into the Pi the right side up? When you put the pi into a case (for all the cases I've seen) it hides the connector and you may not realize that the SD card contacts need to be facing up, meaning the SD card label must be facing down. This is a bit counter-intuitive.

Check out the Troubleshooting Page. One of those things is very likely the trouble.
Last edited by jbeale on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lethalhippo

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:13 pm

I did put it the correct way, I specifically remember putting it in that way and noticing it seemed funny.

Mr.Dave

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:15 pm

Try formatting the SDCard using Windows instead of the formatting utility, format it to FAT32 then copy the files to it again and see if it boots

If that still fails, try a different SDCard

jbeale

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 pm

I haven't tried the NOOBS method of a R-Pi install, maybe someone who has can advise if there is anything obviously wrong with your install procedure. In the past I've always used the raw raspbian image, which I needed to use Win32DiskImager to write the SD card, because Windows does not understand the Linux EXT2 formatted partitions.

Just to narrow down the possibilities, if you aren't confident of both the RCA cables and the TV inputs, you might try testing them using something else with a composite video output, maybe a camcorder or video game device.

But if you don't see one of the LEDs blinking shortly after power-up, there is a problem with the SD card (or the connector contacts- one of my Pi's had that problem).

lethalhippo

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:51 am

I don't have another SD card on hand that is the correct size. I have checked and the one I'm using should be compatible. I'll try to get my hands on another one as soon as I can.

I'm currently downloading the NOOBS again, I'm thinking my previous download could have been screwed up somehow.
My lights seem to be doing the correct thing- red remains on, and green will maybe blink a few times (I presume It's accessing the SD card)

Finally, I don't have any other RCA cables, and can't find anything to hook them up to. I did order some along with the R-Pi, but it has yet to arrive so I'll try those when they come. I honestly think it's some sort of issue with the SD card, is the card supposed to become much smaller on it's storage size after being plugged into the R-Pi?

Edit: I should point out, the card was originally 3.79 GB, and when formatted, loaded with NOOB, and plugged in, it becomes 1.17 GB.

rpdom

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:45 am

I had a quick look at the NOOBS system yesterday. I was using an SD card that I have previously had errors on, so I didn't have high hopse, just wanted to see what it would do (I have fully working systems installed on other cards which I normally use).

It sounds like your Pi booted into NOOBS ok. The first thing I saw NOOBS do was to resize the partition (before it failed, but that's just my bad card).

The problem seems to be with your video output. Either the Pi is selecting HDMI out even though nothing is connected to that port, your RCA cable is faulty, or your TV composite video input isn't working/not selected correctly.

MrEngman

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:40 am

Mr.Dave wrote:Try formatting the SDCard using Windows instead of the formatting utility, format it to FAT32 then copy the files to it again and see if it boots

If that still fails, try a different SDCard
Surely once an image has been installed the SD card will include Linux partitions and Windows will not format the whole card, only the fat partition which is no help at all. Windows will let you delete the Linux partitions but does not offer any way to expand the Fat partition to use the whole card which is what is required to install NOOBS.

Try it yourself and see what happens.

Use SDFormatter to reformat the card to the full size - with Option - Format Size Adjustment - ON!

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

rdb

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:41 am

If the green ACT LED flashes after you've booted your Pi with NOOBS then it is likely to have booted correctly.

The way NOOBS handles displays has changed for v1.2

By default, NOOBS 1.2 will try to output over HDMI at your display's preferred resolution. If you do not see any output on your HDMI display or are using the composite output, you can manually select a different output mode by pressing one of the following number keys on your keyboard;

1. HDMI preferred mode - this is the default display mode for NOOBS.
2. HDMI safe mode - select this mode if your display is connected to the Pi's HDMI connector and you cannot see anything on screen after the Pi has booted.
3. Composite PAL mode - select either this mode or composite NTSC mode if you are using the composite RCA video connector on the Pi
4. Composite NTSC mode

So in your case you will need to boot the Pi, wait for a second or so, then press either 3 or 4 until you get a display on your monitor.

You can tell that your keypress has been registered as the green ACT LED will turn on after the key has been pressed before switching off once the display mode has been changed. If you still do no see a display after the LED goes off then try another mode.

Note that /downloads is going to be updated imminently.

MrEngman

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:30 am

rdb wrote:If the green ACT LED flashes after you've booted your Pi with NOOBS then it is likely to have booted correctly.

The way NOOBS handles displays has changed for v1.2

By default, NOOBS 1.2 will try to output over HDMI at your display's preferred resolution. If you do not see any output on your HDMI display or are using the composite output, you can manually select a different output mode by pressing one of the following number keys on your keyboard;
That's useful to know - why is there no documentation on this - it could be useful don't you think? This type of info really ought to be give some priority and made plainly viewable.

As far as /downloads being updated imminently - currently it shows NOOBS_v1_1.zip - but the file downloaded is NOOBS_v1_2.zip and similarly for bittorrent - and has been like that for a while now. Changing a 1 to a 2 shouldn't be too much of a problem should it? ;)

Instead of messing about coding try updating the documentation instead - I know, not a favourite pastime for engineers - but would be useful for newcomers and those rather less knowledgeable than yourselves.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

mikey11

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:47 am

most of the installs I have seen have a file in a .img format

You need to get a program that takes the img format and puts it onto your SD card in the fully expanded way.

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

Look for an imaging program that works for you. I used windows to image my cards.

power supply: this was a huge issue for me and took two days and numerous power supplies to overcome.

You can't assume a "5v" supply is giving you 5v. I had many that didn't meet the threshold of 4.72v. Most of the failures were samsung power supplies for phones or tablets. (I love samsung, don't get me wrong)

I eventually found one that worked (a motorola supply).

If you haven't done it yet, invest in a voltmeter. Its an indispensable piece of equipment that you will use for decades to come.

By measuring the positive lead with the red wire and the negative lead with the black wire you can determine the output voltage of your supply. If your reading is negative, then you have the polarity wrong.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy. The cheapest off-the-shelf voltmeter will usually do both AC and DC voltage, ranging from mv to thousands of volts.

They are pretty hard to fry, but other electronics (including the rpi) are very easy to fry.

keep at it man. 15 is a great age to start. It might seem hard, but keep whacking at it, persistence pays off.

MrEngman

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:14 pm

rdb wrote: Note that /downloads is going to be updated imminently.
And the downloads page has been updated. Looks much better. :D

Thank you.

MrEngman

MrEngman

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:39 pm

lethalhippo wrote: Edit: I should point out, the card was originally 3.79 GB, and when formatted, loaded with NOOB, and plugged in, it becomes 1.17 GB.
This is correct. The card is originally formatted full size with FAT32. When NOOBS first runs it re-sizes the original partition and creates additional Linux partitions on the SD card which leaves a FAT32 partition of 1.17GB and the rest with most likely three Linux partitions after you have installed the image you want. Windows does not recognise the Linux partitions and will report the size of the SD card as 1.17GB.

To re-install NOOBS the card will need reformatting to the full size as a single FAT32 partition. Using SDFormatter is probably the best way (others may disagree) and to do this start SDFormatter, select the Option menu and set Format Size Adjustment to ON. After formatting you should find your card is back to a single partition of 3.79GB. One final point. I have been able to use the Quick Format option and re-install NOOBS without problems. Using Quick Format is considerably faster than a full format.

MrEngman

lethalhippo

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks for all the help! I do think it's a problem with the video output, I'm not able to mess around with it right now as I'm busy but I almost certainly don't think it's a hardware problem, which is good.

scubaryan

Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:40 pm

I had the same problem. Red light only flashes, no green flashing at all. Black screen on the display. After using many different power cables I figured out that the power supply was okay (as I thought it should be, with more than 700ma and 5v output). Then I thought it was the memory card although other people reported success with the Transcend brand of cards.

Long story short the last step of my troubleshooting was redownloading the NOOBS software and putting it on the card again. SUCCESS!

As soon as I plugged it in the green light flickered and I knew something was working. Now I'm rocking a clean install!!

Thanks RPI forums.

Return to “Beginners”