alexchamberlain

Re: How to start using your Raspberry Pi

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:35 am

Eyeball_Kirkenbach wrote:There have been some great, patient replies to basic questions here, so here's hoping for more of the same: is a 5V charger rated to 2 amps OK to use?
Sounds like it should work... Try it and see. Do you know if it is switched-mode or ye olde transformer?
Developer of piimg, a utility for working with RPi images.

Eyeball_Kirkenbach

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:12 pm

It's the charger Asus sends with the Nexus 7 - regular transformer?

timmoore46

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:03 am

using Raspbian

I had no sound on my HDMI output ! For some days I tried every thing ! tearing my hair out in increasing clumps ! *LOL*

This finally worked:-

sudo amixer cset numid=3 2

an error message has a moan but ignoring that, I now have sound !

Following from an earlier post about powering down the R Pi, Raspbian allows 'logout' from LX GUI back to 'Bash' the CLI,

and

sudo halt

shuts it down nicely.

A happy ,

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tim

maknum44

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 pm

hi. I guess I'm more than an absolute beginner. Actually I'm an absolute ignorant. For me this is my first time dealing with Linux, first time in a forum and just recently found out about Raspberry Pi. So, what I did was installed the raspbian wheezy on a VBox on my W7 PC and found out is great. So... now that I know how the raspbian works I want to get a Pi and use it as any type of portable device (laptop, tablet, pc, etc). My question is: how can I make a portable pc out of Rasp Pi? thnx

hipigore

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Hello,

Brand new user of the device has join the group :)

I have one question to start with.
I guess the device supports an external HDD so i will need an usb hub.

My question is if i purchase an USB hub power supplied from an external source could i plug in the micro usb cable from which the raspberry takes it's power ?
Will it work properly or it must have at all cost a separate power supply line ?

Cheers,

Yavor

Jaseman

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 pm

Here's my son's guide to imaging your SD card:
http://youtu.be/8NHS2n16fzo

Jaseman

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Here's part 2 of setting up the Raspberry Pi by Martin (Age 7):

http://youtu.be/AgmCugLvum0

tberg53

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:11 am

hi guys,

i am a newbie here so i would appreciate any help from you.

i just recently got my rpi, and set it up following the instructions in this forum.
-rpi
-sd card 8GB, class 4
-hdmi-vga adaptor to monitor
-keyboard via usb port
-mouse via usb port

the sd card is loaded manually using windiskmanager32, using Raspbian “wheezy”
with all the sumcheck is done.

everything is set and when i turn on the power source, there is nothing to display on the monitor.
and on the rpi board only the power led is turned on (red) while the rest is off.

can anyone tell me my problem here?

thanks alot guys

alexchamberlain

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:52 am

What HDMI-VGA adaptor are you using?
Developer of piimg, a utility for working with RPi images.

tberg53

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:22 am

i am using hdmi-vga adapter from lexcron and it worked when i tested it.

is there any possible problem using this device?

thanks for your response.

tberg53

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 am

alexchamberlain wrote:What HDMI-VGA adaptor are you using?
hi chamberlain,

i just tested it once again, i unplugged the sd card and try to put it in again.

when i switched it on, this time the red power led is solid red, and in the beginning the green ok led is blinking.

does this mean the rpi has successfully booted from the sd card that i loaded?

whimpo1991

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi,
As a beginner this has just confused me because of the arguing. I am trying to set it up as a media center and I have managed to install raspbian onto the sd card now I need to get the xmbc onto my usb I think to get this to work?

Am I heading in the right direction if not please help? Also how can I get xmbc onto my usb it seems to just install into the background of my computer each time I try.

Many thanks
Whimpo1991 :mrgreen:

BobbyB

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:22 am

tberg53 wrote: hi chamberlain,
i just tested it once again, i unplugged the sd card and try to put it in again.
when i switched it on, this time the red power led is solid red, and in the beginning the green ok led is blinking.
does this mean the rpi has successfully booted from the sd card that i loaded?
I had a black (hdmi) screen when I first tried to boot up. Didn't know what to do so I stuck the SD card back into my MacBookPro and had a look at it. There were three or four .txt files there. Can't remember which one, but one of them had, on the first line, a statement saying to uncomment the following line if a monitor driven through the hdmi connector black screened. I did this and it worked straightaway.

mvsopen

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Just a heads up to people with problems attempting to use WinDisk32 on a Dell computer (Mine is an Optiplex 745). My Windows 7 system would not recognize a new card, no matter what I tried. I finally went to the Dell support website, and found a firmware update for my SDHC card reader. As soon as I applied that, Windisk32 worked as advertised.

michele.x

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:27 pm

chulek wrote: Output: 5V-700mA

Can I use it with my RasPi? Also, what does 10-20VA mean?
I've had my RasPi for two days and initially I started with a brick power supply rated 5V 700 mA ad originally used as a battery charger: it has a LED that is green without load and becomes yellow then read as the current draw increases. The net result using that power supply was the ethernet port not working and the charger became hot and smelly after half a hour of playing with the RasPI.

I've found a wall power supply rated 5V/1A, originally for a powered USB hub, and bought an usb PCB connector and a 2200 uF/10V capacitor. I beheaded the original connector and soldered the pcb connector and the capacitor on the output lead.

Worked like a charm this evening.
The short story is: the raspberry Pi likes well regulated and filtered power supplies, capable to put a steady 5V/1A output.

michele.x

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:11 pm

michele.x wrote: I've found a wall power supply rated 5V/1A, originally for a powered USB hub, and bought an usb PCB connector and a 2200 uF/10V capacitor. I beheaded the original connector and soldered the pcb connector and the capacitor on the output lead.

Only a photo of the soldered connector and capacitor. Negative wire is solid black, positive wire is gray/black.

bakearaspberrypi

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:43 pm

It's nice to see someone covering the basic's as everyone I speak to don't have the slightest where to begin! Can I link to this on my website?
www.bakearaspberrypi.co.uk - Don't laugh! I am trying to round up news and linking people to all the bits they need to get some Pi in their life.

abishur

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:32 am

You can provide a link to this thread in the forums, sure, but please don't reproduce off site in its entirety. I know that may seem kinda silly since it's a fairly short post, but it's just a blanket request I have for all my posts ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

OttifantSir

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:40 pm

I just wanted to share a graphical interface method of imaging to a SD-card in Ubuntu: Palimpsest.
(Apologies for any inconcistensies in the names, and any spelling errors, I don't speak English natively)

1. Insert card
2. Open Palimpsest/Disk Utility
3. Choose the card
4. Format the card with MBR (or GPT if you want to use disks larger than 2TB) from the upper cog wheel
5. Choose the partition on the card
6. Unmount it by clicking the square/stop-button under the partition)
7. From the partition/filesystem cog wheel choose Restore Image...
8. Choose your image (.img-file)

martinkwong

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi,
just as a newbie, wanting to ask:
  • is it a must to have a keyboard and mouse inorder to boot the Raspberry Pi?
  • and as for the USB port, does it support those USB to PS/2 converter which allow you to have Both PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse with one single USB port?

how someone could know the answer. thanks
martin

abishur

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:58 pm

martinkwong wrote:Hi,
just as a newbie, wanting to ask:
  • is it a must to have a keyboard and mouse inorder to boot the Raspberry Pi?
  • and as for the USB port, does it support those USB to PS/2 converter which allow you to have Both PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse with one single USB port?

how someone could know the answer. thanks
martin
1) Must it have a keyboard and mouse to boot?

No, I have 2 pis which run "headless" without anything attached to it other than a hard drive.

2) Does it support those USB to PS/2 converter

Depends on the converter. The one you posted *looks* like a passive device which would only work provided the PS/2 keyboard had the logic to run as a usb device. You'd need an active converter to use the PS/2 to USB devices.

lokitang

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:19 am

...... and all goes well the green LED marked OK (and ACK in later version) will blink to show whenever the PI reads......
sure it's 'ACK', not 'ACT'?
Gone with Winds.

CharlieDelta

Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:37 pm

PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard adaptor.
Hi

Your adaptor looks perfectly OK to me.
To be sure test it on a PC with your keyboard and mouse. If it works on the PC I see no reason for it not to work on the RPi.

To put the record straight there is no such thing as a passive converter
The PS/2 communication protocol for both Mice and Keyboard are very similar but the mouse packet contains more information. They are both totally different from the USB communication protocol for HID parts [Human Interface Device] or any other USB communication protocol. The same can be said for the hardware interface for PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard which are the same [other than pins differences on the 6 pin din plug] and again the USB hardware interface is completely different.

For the device that you show in your picture to function it must have a protocol converter chip buried in the plastic moulding of the USB plug. This chip will convert both the hardware interface of the PS/2 devices and their communication protocol. The latter is bidirectional since the boot process requires that the keyboard and mouse be enumerated so that the OS [operating system] knows what it is "talking to"

As an aside the original constraint on the design of the USB concept was that the cost of implementing USB on a PC [including the connector] should be no more than that of PS/2 hardware. Of course the software drivers are different with the USB being much more complicated than the equivalent PS/2 versions, hence all the problems with USB drivers in the past (and now?)

Hope that helps

abishur

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:13 pm

CharlieDelta wrote:PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard adaptor.
Hi

Your adaptor looks perfectly OK to me.
To be sure test it on a PC with your keyboard and mouse. If it works on the PC I see no reason for it not to work on the RPi.

To put the record straight there is no such thing as a passive converter
The PS/2 communication protocol for both Mice and Keyboard are very similar but the mouse packet contains more information. They are both totally different from the USB communication protocol for HID parts [Human Interface Device] or any other USB communication protocol. The same can be said for the hardware interface for PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard which are the same [other than pins differences on the 6 pin din plug] and again the USB hardware interface is completely different.

For the device that you show in your picture to function it must have a protocol converter chip buried in the plastic moulding of the USB plug. This chip will convert both the hardware interface of the PS/2 devices and their communication protocol. The latter is bidirectional since the boot process requires that the keyboard and mouse be enumerated so that the OS [operating system] knows what it is "talking to"

As an aside the original constraint on the design of the USB concept was that the cost of implementing USB on a PC [including the connector] should be no more than that of PS/2 hardware. Of course the software drivers are different with the USB being much more complicated than the equivalent PS/2 versions, hence all the problems with USB drivers in the past (and now?)

Hope that helps
Well since the quibbling has been started I must further quibble with your statement :-P

There actually *are* passive converters. They take the PS/2 form factor and make it USB. The only caveat is that they only work provided your keyboard or mouse has the capability to work as a PS/2 or USB device. I've seen this done even on a combo mouse/keyboard plug and the perform *horribly* (as one would expect). It's very much like the people who sell a passive HDMI to VGA cable. Just because it won't work doesn't mean there are people who will make and sell it anyways ;-)

CharlieDelta

Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Oh dear "What a fine mess you have go me into Stanley"

The problem is how to reply to Martin's very reasonable newbie query without perpetuating forum bickering?

Personal statement.
Forums are intended to provide a platform for information exchange between individuals that have similar interests. Part of this is mutual help with problems/issues. Newbies (we have all been and probably still are newbies in one field or another) tend to have more basic questions and turn to those with more experience for help and guidance. If you reply to a request for help, I believe that you should do so in an honest and factual way to the limit of your own relevant knowledge. If the reply contains unsupported comment, beliefs or conjecture then you should say so.
A forum dedicated to newbie help is no place for "big beasts" to slug it out as to who has the biggest brain.
I am therefore a little reluctant to reply to the previous post, however I do not feel that Martin has had an adequate reply from either of us, hence this trepidatious post.

An apology
Dear Abishur; I had not intended to stand on any of your appendages nor to belittle your service as moderator for this forum and your massive 3256 posts. I did not intend to quibble your specific post, but simply provide (IMHO) what I considered to be the correct answer. Please accept my apology if I have caused any offence.

Reality as I see it.

PS/2 hardware interface has some commonality with USB in that there are 4 wires; two data lines and two power lines (+5v and ground) however that is the limit of their commonality. It has been possible to develop Mice and Keyboards that contain dual control circuits that allow the data lines to be used either for PS/2 protocol or USB protocol.

[Here I have some issues in that USB requires Pull up and pull down resistors to signal the type of USB which has to be low speed for keyboards and mice, where as PS/2 requires open collector pull up resistors. Perhaps we can overlook this in the enumeration process]

Therefore it is possible to design a PS/2 + USB device to work in both environments simply by having a "passive adapter" that adapts the PS/2 6 pin din plug to the 4 pin USB connector.

Here there is probably an English language issue between "adapter" and "converter", not withstanding this you can have a "passive adapter/converter" for a single device.

However both PS/2 and USB are "point to point" interfaces in that you can not operate more than one device connected to one port (PS/2 or USB) by some sort of passive connection

You can daisy chain several PS/2 devices on a single PS/2 port but this requires additional electronics. An example of this is PS/2 bar code readers very often plug in between the PS/2 keyboard and the PC PS/2 port. The same is true of USB but requires the insertion of "hub" electronics. Neither of these approaches is "passive".

Given this your original request was about a device that appeared to provide simultaneous connection for two PS/2 devices into one USB port. For this device to work it must have some internal electronics to convert the two PS/2 data streams into two USB data streams.

(As I remember a standard USB port can support 5 endpoint "devices" and their associated data streams; but I can not be sure without getting all my USB documentation out)

There is just one possible implementation (ref x) for a "passive adapter/converter" (Passive implying no additional electronic devices other than wires and passive components eg resistors, capacitors etc.) constructed in the way of your example.
In this the two PS/2 sockets (one for mouse and one for keyboard - green and purple colour coding) could be wired so that one device (mouse or keyboard) of the dual PS/2+USB interface type could be plugged in and would work but NOT with both devices plugged in. This is a hypothetical concept since it would be much less costly to provide an adapter that has a 6 pin din socket on one end and a USB plug on the other with the pins that carry the PS/2+USB mouse and keyboard data lines strapped together. This I believe is the nature of commercially available adapters.

As for faux or fake devices, you should be able to test these out using a PC, as I suggested in my initial reply. As always caveat emptor should apply. I would not buy it if you think your example is as per (ref x) above.

Martin
I hope that this has been of some help. I am sorry it is so long winded but it sometimes takes a lot of explanation to substantiate a simple answer.
As such my initial advice stands; "Should work but if you have any doubts test it first on a regular PC"

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need any further help or guidance on this issue. I do not claim to be an "expert" but offer my guidance for what it is worth.

Abishur
If you have a need to discuss this issue with me in further detail may I suggest that we do so outside this section of the forum.

Return to “Beginners”