abishur

Re: STARTERS GUIDE for Raspberry Pi, A, B, A+, B+ and RPI 2

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:50 pm

Loadercoder wrote:In want to thank you for your great starters tutorial.
Thanks, but the moderator truly deserving your accolades is mahjongg, I believe. I made the rev 1 version of this guide, but unless I'm mistaken he's been the one keeping this up to date and so helpful!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

SherlockPi

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:38 am

Hello,

A newbie to RasPi ! I have installed Raspbian on SD card. When I connect it to a HDMI display I can see the RasPi boot and stop at config screen. I am not having a USB keyboard as of now. I am trying to connect using SSH, I connect the RasPi to my laptop using ethernet cable but cannot see any IP assigned to RasPi when I do ifconfig. Is it required that at least once the RasPi should be booted normally and then we can use SSH? I am using RasPi 2.

jcornel7

Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:20 pm

OK I need some help....bought a kit from Amazon. Hooked everything up right plugged it in and booted up on the NOOBS Microsd it came with fine the first time. The I reboot it and the green and ref led are solid....no matter what I do. I unplugged everything, I left everything unplugged with the card removed and still same solid lights. What am I doing wrong?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:39 am

jcornel7 wrote:What am I doing wrong?
you didn't read the boot problem sticky! :mrgreen:

windy54

Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi,

I have just taken a working image from a model B and inserted it into my new PI 2 B and it stuck at the rainbow screen.

I followed the post about update,upgrade, distrubution etc and it still sticks at the rainbow screen.

Any ideas as to what to try next.

I am about to back up my SD card and download a new image and possibly remove the camera as well.

cheers

Steve

DougieLawson

Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:29 pm

You need to update the SDCard to at least a 2nd of Feb image to run on a 2B. If it's a NOOBS card there's also some strange voodoo needed to update /dev/mmcblk0p1 with the NOOBS recovery system boot code.

http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- ... berry-pi-2
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3B*3, 3B+

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

windy54

Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:13 pm

DougieLawson wrote:You need to update the SDCard to at least a 2nd of Feb image to run on a 2B. If it's a NOOBS card there's also some strange voodoo needed to update /dev/mmcblk0p1 with the NOOBS recovery system boot code.

http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- ... berry-pi-2

Yes I have just downloaded the few image and it has worked, now to crack on with my face recognition project

Thanks for the response

Steve

Endriu

Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi.
Full wipe Micro SD is required for Raspbian or only for Noobs ?
Thank you ;)

kusti8

Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Endriu wrote:Hi.
Full wipe Micro SD is required for Raspbian or only for Noobs ?
Thank you ;)
It is needed for noobs, but you don't necessarily need it for the image since it will wipe everything anyway.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

ashscott

Re: Getting Started with the Raspberry Pi

Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:52 am

I feel like a muppet for not figuring this out but I'm really struggling.

I have a Pi 2 Model B 1GB

Am too cheap to buy the HDMI cable or an external keyboard (I only have a laptop) so trying to do a headless installation.

I format the 8gb SD card every time I re-install using the official SD card formatter.

So far I have tried the following:
- NOOBS full package simply dumped onto SD card (as told in the instructions): Red light on pi comes on but not green light (these lights are at the opposite end of the card to the ethernet port). Pi connects to my router by ethernet but trying to SSH from putty (my laptop is windows 7 64 bit) simply times out.

- Raspbian installed using Win32DiskImager: Red light comes on but green light flashes erratically. Pi connects to my router via ethernet but attempts to SSH in simply time out

- Raspbian installed using flashnul-1rc1: Red and Green lights come on steady but Pi will not connect to router via ethernet cable - can ping the Pi from CMD but any attempts to SSH in are denied.

- NOOBS light package dumped onto SD card (as told in the instructions): Red light on pi comes on but not green light (these lights are at the opposite end of the card to the ethernet port). Pi connects to my router by ethernet but trying to SSH from putty (my laptop is windows 7 64 bit) simply times out.

I feel quite foolish that I can't figure this out but have been very thorough in my steps thus far.

Thanks in advance for any help

windy54

Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:13 am

If you can see the Pi connecting to the router you know the IP address, have you tried pinging the PI to make sure you get a response?
If you do, then the PI must be booting up.

Is SSH enabled as a default in the distributions, I know with wheezey there is an option in raspi-confit to enable/disable it, but I do not know what the default is.

I would try and get hold of an HDMI cable so you can see what is happening .

Good luck, I am relatively new to this myself!

rpdom

Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:01 am

Your second method (Raspbian using Win32DiskImager) is teh right one to use if you are going to run headless. The pattern of LEDs you describe (Red on solid, Green erratic to start with, then mostly off) is exactly what it should be doing. (Red is "Power On", Green is "SD Card Activity" - like the hard disk light on a PC).

You should be able to connect via ssh to the Raspbian system a short while after it has talked to your router. You will have to wait a little though for it to finish booting and maybe setting up a few bits for the first time (I can't remember if it creates the swap file at first boot, or if it uses an existing one).

If you get "Connection refused" you may have to wait a few minutes longer. It's been a while since I used Putty, so I can't remember how it behaves.

If you can get hold of an HDMI cable (even the ones in "Pound" shops work) and a suitable TV/monitor, you should be able to verify that the Pi has booted and see the Config Menu appear at the end of the boot. You should be able to SSH in at that point.

Kevin_rpi2

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:01 am

Isn't there a simple windows app to remove all partitions on a SD-Card ?

DougieLawson

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:58 am

Kevin_rpi2 wrote:Isn't there a simple windows app to remove all partitions on a SD-Card ?
The SD Assoc. formatter tool will do that.

But I find it easier to stuff the SDCard (in a carrier for μSD) in my camera or stuff a μSD in my Android tablet and format it using one of those devices.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3B*3, 3B+

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

domenico

Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:04 am

io o un raspberrypi2 essendo appassionato di elettronica vorrei sapere come sfruttare il raspberry per circuiti elettrici ed elettronici
e quali schede supplementari ci vogliono grazie e saluti

GrampaMike

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:17 pm

I have never had so much with a computer since my 1st one in the 70s - a KIM-1.

A couple of comments:
1. I hate the micro-usb power connector. Many of us yank-geeks have a box full of 5V 2A+ wall-warts (another yankism) but none with that silly micro-usb connector. I was very tempted to solder a matching connector for one of my supplies to the bottom of the board but I resisted.

2. 4 usb ports are wonderful. BUT the usb spec calls for each one to supply 500mA. 4x500mA=2A. Does the RPi limit the current to the usb ports to protect itself?

3. inre: SD setup. I use Macs and I found a program called ApplePi-Baker which did it easily.

My congratulations to our brethren across the sea and my sincere thanks. :geek:

GrampaMike in Edgewood NM, USA.

GrampaMike

Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:34 pm

I am using a 4-port KVM switch. 2 Macs :) , A PC :evil: and now a RaspberryPi 2 :lol:

Had to use a hdmi->vga adapter. This one worked well and had a sound output.

A couple more questions. When I first started i couldn’t get the bootx command to work. Also I have read that after turning off the RPi one should wait for the red led to extinguish before removing power. Mine never does. A final question. How does one safely eject a thumb drive?

Again thanks all.

Grampa Mike :ugeek:
Attachments
IMG_0623-1.jpg
hdmi->vga adaptor.
IMG_0623-1.jpg (23.61 KiB) Viewed 6692 times
IMG_0622-1.jpg
My RPi. The white cable is for the KVM switch,
IMG_0622-1.jpg (30.69 KiB) Viewed 6692 times

Bluebarry

Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Thanks for this! Its a very useful thread!

AnonVyr

Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:35 am

Lots of useful information above. Thanks all for sharing.

I just bought mine, P2, and I rarely read about someone using it with ArchLinux Arm. Is it bad in anyway?

I mean, I use ArchLinux on my main setup with awesomewm (consuming generally 1-10% of a i5, gets over this just when I'm compiling some package; and about 623MB ram right now, with 3 opened terminals and firefox with 4 tabs), I consider it light enough for my use. I'd like to know if someone is using ArchLinux ARM (with tiling window managers or not) and how is the feeling.

Thanks in advance.

basilshmm

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:40 pm

helpful tread for a beginner like me . My raspberry pi 2 at 900MHz Can i increase my clocking frequency

LaKota

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:35 pm

Upon initial installation monitor went black when selected Raspbian and clicked INSTALL. I have read through many of the posts on the site and have not found this issue. Using Canakit Pi 2 with SD card that can in kit. Board has solid red light and flashing green light.

ashish1521

Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:01 am

Hi, i am a new user

do i need to buy the user guide or will i get it along for free???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-User- ... b_title_bk

Thanks in advance

Slimjet

pgloor

Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:56 pm

The SD Assoc. formatter tool refused to format my 32 GB SD card on both, my desktop and my tablet pc running Windows 8.1. I had to do the formatting of the card on my Digital Ixus cam. Unfortunately I also experienced issues with my Network configuration as soon I used eth0 to add a wired connection to my router. I've seen several related issues in the forum but none of the suggestions helped. Using WLAN only it works like a charm. However, I learned a lot the last two days and I feel myself much similar I felt when I bought my first computer some 30 years ago.

pgloor

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Just a note and a warning: my power adapter was the cause of my network problem. As it has been sold as a cheap alternative to the original charger for Samsung Galaxy S5 smart phones I expected similar specs to the original part. But after a closer look I realized it provides 5V/0.5A only.

After I replaced it by an original Samsung 5V/A2 power adapter my network problems were gone and my Raspberry Pi 2 starts now much faster.

Return to “Beginners”