IotaLabIO

Re: Getting Started with the Raspberry Pi

Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:28 pm

A getting started kit coming here http://iotalab.io/

meccem63

Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:51 am

Unable to see usb thumb drives tried three different ones. Everything seems to load properly I even have a wireless keyboard and mouse (k 400 plus) that works fine. Using Raspbian operating system. Tried lsusb, looks like everything is there, Any ideas.

JokePi

Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:27 am

This is absolutely useful to the newers like me , ths for your sharing .

Nfarrow

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:16 am

Here is a video on how to load the OS on the SD card from windows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnYChYrg_GM
Twitter: @farrownick
Instagram veggievampire
I own a lot of Pis....

AKhan

Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:26 am

Thanks for the information ;)

dalveer

Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:31 am

Largest selling online store for buy raspberry pi robot kit in India: If you searching product raspberry bi robot kit online, online raspberry pi robot kit, buy robot kit raspberry pi online, pi robot kit raspberry online at best and cheap price in India, buy online pi robot kit raspberry. Visit here for more detail: https://www.robomart.com/

HostedBY

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:45 pm

Hello,

I am starting my first project using the RPi, the project briefly is about making a car to maintain a fixed distance with a moving object in front of it. The car is moving in only two directions, forward and backward. If the moving object moves forward the car should move to maintain the distance and vice versa, If the object is moving backward the car should also move backward.

My Question is: What do I need to make this project success? I think I will use C programming language. Which type of controllers do I need? Cascade Control? PID Control? HOw is the process of this project should be from starting to end it?

Thanks in advance ..

pro1962

Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:53 am

hi all ,, well i got my new raspberry pi ,, i have set it up all running but ,, i did not do a thing ,, pass words or startx ,, i have set the time from the raspberry pi configuration from the menu ?? so i a bit lost on what to do next , help or some info i whats going on please

laorla

Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:50 am

I'm interested in buying a raspberry pi for my 9 year old daughter for Christmas (she wants a tablet of some sort but i find them a bit mindless). I have no experience in computer coding though and I'm her only active parent. Does she need to be older or more experienced? Should I wait until after she's attended coder dojo or similar? She'd need a computer to join coder dojo anyway and, as it stands, I can only afford to buy one item.. Thanks for your ideas..

k7n4n5t3w4rt

Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:22 pm

These instructions seem to no longer be accurate. Suddenly Raspbian installed with Noobs seems to boot into the GUI automatically. There's auto login and no config.

Also, once in the GUI my keyboard and mouse don't work so I can't get a command line up. I seem to have a useless Pi all of a sudden.

k7n4n5t3w4rt

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:53 am

Hi Laorla,

Raspberry Pis are for kids as much as adults but they're different to having a tablet. With a tablet you can play games, talk to friends etc. With a Pi you can learn how to code and make... stuff. They're great fun, educational and also cheap! So get her a tablet and a Pi :)

Kynan
laorla wrote:I'm interested in buying a raspberry pi for my 9 year old daughter for Christmas (she wants a tablet of some sort but i find them a bit mindless). I have no experience in computer coding though and I'm her only active parent. Does she need to be older or more experienced? Should I wait until after she's attended coder dojo or similar? She'd need a computer to join coder dojo anyway and, as it stands, I can only afford to buy one item.. Thanks for your ideas..

k7n4n5t3w4rt

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:56 am

Hi HostedBY,

Thanks sounds like a pretty ambitious project. Like, a real car? I think you're going to need... a car and a car load of stuff.

For a first project, Python is probably a good place to start.

Kynan
HostedBY wrote:Hello,

I am starting my first project using the RPi, the project briefly is about making a car to maintain a fixed distance with a moving object in front of it. The car is moving in only two directions, forward and backward. If the moving object moves forward the car should move to maintain the distance and vice versa, If the object is moving backward the car should also move backward.

My Question is: What do I need to make this project success? I think I will use C programming language. Which type of controllers do I need? Cascade Control? PID Control? HOw is the process of this project should be from starting to end it?

Thanks in advance ..

k7n4n5t3w4rt

Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:29 am

With some help I got the pi to boot up with a console and not the graphic user interface. Solution is here if anyone is interested:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=11005&p=861324#p861324

pro1962 - I don't know if that's related to your issue or not but I feel like you might be expecting the console (with the login etc) but are instead seeing the GUI start up automagically. I think the console is more fun :)
k7n4n5t3w4rt wrote:These instructions seem to no longer be accurate. Suddenly Raspbian installed with Noobs seems to boot into the GUI automatically. There's auto login and no config.

Also, once in the GUI my keyboard and mouse don't work so I can't get a command line up. I seem to have a useless Pi all of a sudden.

nikemil1972

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:06 pm

First of all, I think Raspberry Pie should have a warning label that reads: "THIS MACHINE IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS." Please remove the forum "Beginners" because RP is too difficult to even get off the ground. Unless you know LINUX, forget it.

Here's my issue: my monitor says "No Signal."
Description of the issue:
1. I insert SD card in Pie 2, after I formatted the card correctly and copied the latest NOOBS program onto the card.
2. I turn power on (yes, the right charger) with HDMI cable in and TV on.
3. I managed to boot ONCE but then the booting process stopped and the image on TV froze.
4. Now I get only "No signal" messsages. A rainbow comes up every time, the green light blinks briefly and then...NOTHING
5. I read all the necessary guides on this website how to start this, but nothing works.

I'm frustrated by this purchase to no end. I also took it to my friend who is a senior programmer for the State of Oregon and eats computers for breakfast, lunch and dinner. He has LINUX, knows how to use it. He was surprised how "weird" the file directory looks on the SD card, especially since there is way to EDIT CONFIX.TXT file, a recommended step in one your own forums.

Thank you!
Emil Niculescu

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:41 am

nikemil1972 wrote:First of all, I think Raspberry Pie should have a warning label that reads: "THIS MACHINE IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS." Please remove the forum "Beginners" because RP is too difficult to even get off the ground. Unless you know LINUX, forget it.
Emil Niculescu
Sorry, I have to disagree entirely - we are all beginners when we start something new. Are you suggesting we never try and learn something?

What do you mean by this
especially since there is way to EDIT CONFIX.TXT file, a recommended step in one your own forums.
[there's at least one typo there as the file is config.txt, not confix.txt)
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:46 am

nikemil1972 wrote:First of all, I think Raspberry Pie should have a warning label that reads: "THIS MACHINE IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS." Please remove the forum "Beginners" because RP is too difficult to even get off the ground. Unless you know LINUX, forget it.
Balderdash and poppycock.

There's more than seven million folks who have been able to get their RPi running.

Start by reading the sticky thread at: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151
The NOOBS OS installer has a perfectly serviceable config.txt editor.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

TideMan

Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:35 pm

DougieLawson wrote: Balderdash and poppycock.
Dougie

Please use the full text:
Bunkum, balderdash, poppycock, and hooey
(as our school principal used to say).

nikemil1972

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:25 pm

No, sorry, but you misunderstood me. I'm all for trying something unfamiliar. Please don't generalize just from this one particular case that I don't like to learn. I just need a clear answer that works, without having to learn LINUX right now. It's not crazy to expect something advertised as a friendly teaching tool to work without investing a whole day or weeks just to get started. Or at least I expect EFFECTIVE instructions to the repeating issue of failed rebooting, a problem that is clearly bothering thousands of frustrated people who have viewed this topic and may or may not have received an effective solution.

To the other reader who answered with "poppycock": And just because millions buy into something means nothing. This fallacious argument is called "bandwagon."

Yes, I committed two typos. Sorry about that, I was too frustrated by the hours I've invested in reading stuff that doesn't work for me.

Here's a correction of my post:

Typo 1 and typo 2, marked in bold: I meant THERE IS NO WAY TO ACCESS CONFIG.TXT file. Not from with my Windows 10, and not with my friend's LINUX-run machine, and this guy is not green around the gills like me in this field. Again, he constantly works with LINUX, he viewed the files in the directory , and no config.txt file.

In conclusion: can you please help me get past the rainbow picture on my TV at booting stage, or at least answer this simple question: how do I get to that config.txt file using Windows 10? Or, what should I tell my friend who uses LINUX? How does he get to the config.txt? I prefer to try this on my machine with Windows 10, however.

Thank you!
Emil Niculescu

DougieLawson

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:00 am

If the card boots into the NOOBS OS chooser/installer/recovery system you have FULL ACCESS TO CONFIG.TXT

If you write the card with plain (non-NOOBS) Raspbian then you CAN update config.txt from Windows.
MQTT Evangelist

dam427

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:28 pm

Good evening, all. 1st post. Loving my Pi2 so far. Just need to fix a bit of a WiFi issue. Already found a post that can help me out.
D
----
Noob to Noobs

rajatrp

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:50 am

noobs 8gb sd card does it comes with os or else its just a memory card adapter. if yes what is the the difference between noobs and adapter

rpdom

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:54 am

NOOBS card comes with Raspbian ready to install, but it may be an old version. Connect your Pi to the internet with a wired connection before starting NOOBS and you will get a menu of all OS's available to install.

The official NOOBS card is usually a MicroSD card in an adaptor.

hilman

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:28 am

I want to ask something. The Raspbian OS that comes with NOOBS, is it Raspbian Jessie or Wheezy? Because I want to download the Jessie one.

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:29 pm

It depends which version of NOOBS you download. Current versions (1.5 and up) are built with Raspbian Jessie as the primary OS that NOOBS will install.

If you got a pre-loaded SDcard it could be either Jessie or Wheezy depending when your supplier created it.
MQTT Evangelist

npigden

Hi, I am locked out and I do not know how to fix my password

Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:30 pm

First Day after a 3 week denial that I can do this! Did I play with the password accidentally when I was checking the screen asking about time zones and locations? Please tell me how do I re set the password so the I can at least get started? Thank you.

Return to “Beginners”