AndreyGaganov

Re: How to start using your Raspberry Pi

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:34 pm

Hi. A complete Raspberry PI dummy here. I believe this is a good place (if not the only right place) to post this here.

I'm having a number of problems getting my Raspberry PI up and running. I've looked over the quick start guide, and it looks like there is a lot for me to do to accomplish that task.

I got to the business, and I'm already having a problem: my laptop will not see the RaspberryPI-branded SD card. I (1) plugged it into my laptop and (2) used the SanDisk card reader - nothing worked.

In my Ubuntu terminal I wrote:

Code: Select all

sudo su -l
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
... nothing happened. No output on the terminal. Then I wrote:

Code: Select all

lspci -vvnn
... and it spat out a bunch of stuff that is just over my head.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need any more clarification or if you think this should be in a different sub-forum or thread where I could get more help (especially from a person who is an expert with SD cards), please let me know.

- Cheers, Andrey.

ruphert

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:38 am

In quick start pdf it says you should select the correct output mode. Did you check your output mode?

intothesky

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Excellent guide! Stops my brain from melting!

sk1m

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:51 pm

Just wondering guys, why there are few having problem installing and running Raspberry Pi?
Mine i did not encounter any problem at all, i just downloaded the NOOBS and installed Raspbian. Voila! thats it.

Now what i want to know, is whats next after you had your Raspbian up and running? what things to do other than normal net browsing? Someone share here a simple project to make use the Pi?

Regards,

shaper

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:14 pm

I realise I may be copying the OP or some of the other people, but I've noticed some differences with time and the release of other distros that things have moved a little left and then a little right and I may get skewed.
Firstly, I have had the briefest of brushes with Linux Distros (mostly Ubuntu), but I have a "Linux for dummies" book to help as well as the spectacular site and support here. Just to be clear, I have done the following...

Purchases and Hardware

a Model B Raspberry Pi. - this was from Amazon
DIGIFLEX USB PC Computer Remote Control Media Center Controller - this came with a little USB reciever that the reviewers said worked out of the box on their Raspberry Pi. This also has a mouse pointer joystick controller. Also from Amazon.
Edimax EW-7811UN 150Mbps Wireless Nano USB Adapter - Other people said this was quite suitable for use with a RP for streaming. Again, Amazon.
HDMI lead - had one spare.
USB keyboard - spare
Micro USB charger - also spare. I've had more phones than BT!
2Gb SD card - spare, but I'm hearing stories that I should have a specific class (4 or 10?) and it should be at least 4Gb. (could do with some clarity on that)
A nice plastic case from Amazon.

Software

I've downloaded:
NOOBS v.1.3.4 (extracted)
SD Formatter v.4 (extracted)
RaspBMC 2013-12-23
Win32DiskImager-0.9.5-install.exe

My plan

- If I format the SD Card using the formatter and copy ==> paste NOOBS onto the card on my PC.
- Transplant myself to my lounge and insert the HDMI, USB WAN adapter, power supply, remote sensor and keyboard.
- Boot into NOOBS and make the initial selections (Region, keyboard and output mode) and then I should be offered a selection of ditros to install.
- I think I'm gonna pick RaspBMC.

Am I now ready to boot every time into RaspBMC?
Am I able to just drop a RaspBMC image using the Win32 Disk Imager and skip the NOOBS part of the setup?
Am I ready to run from here as a media centre or have I missed something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

abdullahwaqar

Tue May 20, 2014 4:44 pm

There may be many online guides/ raspberry pi tutorials but this helped me.
http://raspberrypitutorialx.com/
&
http://raspberrypitutorialx.com/blog/ea ... irst-time/

ukashkartim

Sun May 25, 2014 2:43 pm

hi

thanks dashbbz i try to find this

its very helpfull video

JustCurious

Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:26 pm

How can I determine if my charger delivers 5V exactly? Done with/without load?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:37 pm

JustCurious wrote:How can I determine if my charger delivers 5V exactly? Done with/without load?
with the PI as load! Connect it to the PI, and power it up, use a multimeter to measure the voltage across the two supplied test points TP1 and TP2.

post edit: on a B+ there are no test points (holes) TP1 and `TP2, but there are test pads on the bottom, GND = PP6 and 5V is PP7.

do not connect it if you suspect it gives off more than 6 volt (loaded), or the over voltage protection of the PI may trip, and blow the polyfuse!

DougieLawson

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:06 pm

JustCurious wrote:How can I determine if my charger delivers 5V exactly? Done with/without load?
If it is a stock USB or microUSB then you can be just about 100% sure it's 5V0 (unless it's something crappy and unsafe from China).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

JustCurious

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:10 pm

mahjongg wrote:
with the PI as load! Connect it to the PI, and power it up, use a multimeter to measure the voltage across the two supplied test points TP1 and TP2.
Where is TP1 located?

JustCurious

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:11 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
If it is a stock USB or microUSB then you can be just about 100% sure it's 5V0 (unless it's something crappy and unsafe from China).
Ik purchased a Hama 2100mA...

DougieLawson

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:11 pm

MQTT Evangelist

Tallahassee Dreamer

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Just purchased Pi with NOOBS and followed set up video. got IP address and got a message 10.0.0.1 is asking for your user name and password. The server reports that it is from DI-604. Where do I go from here?

AndrewS

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Tallahassee Dreamer wrote:Just purchased Pi with NOOBS and followed set up video. got IP address and got a message 10.0.0.1 is asking for your user name and password. The server reports that it is from DI-604. Where do I go from here?
The username is "pi" and the password is "raspberry" - as shown on http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ when you click the "More info" button.

Next steps - try http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/ and http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/

dingusmcgee

Re: STARTERS GUIDE for Raspberry Pi, A, B and B+

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:00 am

I freely admit that I am such a beginner at this that I have had my pi for less than a week and I want to throw it across the room.
I had a plan for what I wanted to do with it.
So far nothing seems to go my way even when I follow the guides step by step even when I see a line like:
sudo blah blah blah
some other text here that says do this

but I cant enter a new line
also the page guides say do something and I do and it either comes up an error or does nothing but start a new line
And when I am following a guide it starts getting so complicated that I look at the "Beginers level" and want to scream because if I am so hopeless I cant even do a beginners task I should sell this pile and move on.
And when I find that I have to search long and hard on the internet for directions to install something after I bought it...I get a little aggrevated.

Or when I get to the point that while following what is being portrayed as the thing I want to do only to find out that even emailing for clearer directions I get nothing back.

Or again..(example) I want to access my pi from my desk top, using the GUI, NOT just the code screen.
I get to the point they say "Use this, I do" and nothing I can search for comes up with ANY thing even closely resembling what I need.

So... in another week. If I can't get even the 7" screen I just got to work I will be selling everything. Sorry if I seem like a raging idiot but so far I really feel like one.

I like the pie but some of the instructional just loose me after the first page. Almost like they expect you to already be moderately capable of coding and such in order to be called a beginner.

I am done for the night.
half the day and all I have accomplished in doing was getting some lights to blink. No, that wasn't what I was trying to do.

bcw142

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:21 pm

Very good article, wish it was as good when I was starting. One thing I've found is the US composite output generally doesn't work from 4 on the keyboard. Likely a mapping issue but I could only make it work this morning with $ (Shift+4 on a US keyboard). There was no way to make it work after the install, but it did work for installing an image. After it's installed that doesn't work, nor does 4 or anything else I tried, I gave up after several hours and used HDMI for setup till I could get ssh working, then ran it headless with raspbian (wanted OpenELEC but no way that would work well headless or with NTSC composite so gave up on that). I was just making a Music server (MP3 Player) out of it. Something has gone wrong since I setup my kitchen OpenELEC system on an old TV with composite input which still works, so I know it was possible (and used to be easy after a short HDMI setup, can't be done that way anymore). Please note that US composite users are likely to have to hit $ to get composite, not 4. That will get them downloading or installing images, but they will still be unable to set them up as things stand now without HDMI. :roll:

mikorians

Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:38 am

This sticky link should be on a stickER on the Pi itself in RED. "Go here 1st".
Important note for TOTAL noobs (like me):
The Noobs SD card you BOUGHT won't destroy itself and crash when you install Raspian, so it's OK to go ahead and press GO.
I say this because some users might think that it has to be installed somewhere ELSE, but it's OK to overwrite the card.
But it does seem to be a one-time thing.
Just stating what you guys think is obvious.
Another thing-
Be sure you DO use the advanced configuration menu so you can enable your camera, for example.
They REALLY should put select composite mode INTO that menu also.
Lastly-
Use this command:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
And in the USA it's:
sdtv_mode=0 for NTSC.
And examine the auto-generated settings.
And... You're gonna be using sudo nano a lot.
And I think MOST 4 pole composite video cords put video as RED.

Last word:
If you do manage to get your Internet access up?
(Hello static IP address people out there who might hate dhcp)
Be advised that the update packages are about 250MB and might take -a little- while.

DownunderDave

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi,
I think that the link at the top of this posting is broken:

if you have not yet bought a PI and/or accessories, there is a pictorial buying guide here
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=4277

I get:
Information: The requested topic does not exist.

Cheers,

DownunderDave.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:53 am

DownunderDave wrote:Hi,
I think that the link at the top of this posting is broken:

if you have not yet bought a PI and/or accessories, there is a pictorial buying guide here
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=4277

I get:
Information: The requested topic does not exist.

Cheers,

DownunderDave.
fixed...

burgin23

Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:32 am

Hey I just hooked up my raspberry pi to my monitor and but the hemi and USB port not working and I notice the red and green light on the pi stays on.

DougieLawson

Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:22 am

MQTT Evangelist

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:02 am

or if your pi is booting, but you don't have working usb/ethernet read point six here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=83372

Loadercoder

Re: STARTERS GUIDE for Raspberry Pi, A, B, A+, B+ and RPI 2

Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi Abishur,

In want to thank you for your great starters tutorial. Starting with a brand new Rasberry Pi 2 B trying within a few days to get on my way in linux and of course all the other things most of you allready found out. This wil get me started for sure.

An official Linux newbie... :D

Best Regards,

Loadercoder

Return to “Beginners”