lyndaliddell

Re: How to start using your Raspberry Pi

Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:50 pm

the keyboard was pressed in error, now all thats on the screen is little boxes, how do we get it back to full screen, what do we press on the keyboard. thanks

Chris.Taylor.Sailor

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi I am new to rasberry pi. I have tried to boot using an sd card with Rasbian Wheezy software pre-installed.

I am using an HDMI to VGA convertor to enable the pi to work with an old monitor I had for a previous self build.

It booted up but the screen resolution is very small and the command line beginning (margin) is hidden by the edge of the screen so I can only see what is written after about 7 digits to the right.

I missed the first boot chance to configure the sd card and other settings and now it boots up each time and ends with a command line "rypi tty1" - which must be short for "raspberypi tty1".

I tried to re configure the sd card by typing "rasp-config" return. Nothing.

Then I tried "startx" return to get to the GUI - but nothing but

"rypi tty1".

sudo apt get commands end in a similar response.

Having read the beginning of this forum I realise that I rushed into trying to boot up the device
and now would like to follow all the steps and resolve the screen and other issues.

I would be grateful if anyone could kindly point out the steps I could take to resolve these issues without
having to buy more stuff?

Thanks,

Chris : )

Calthalas

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:19 pm

I've made a little list to collect the entry level resources for Raspberry Pi

http://urli.st/71r-Raspberry-Pi

We can expand the list over time and gather the resources in one place!

dm_green

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Great post.

Absolute beginner here.

Is there a way you can get from the GUI to the screen that you get during and after login? Also, what is the inital boot screen called - with all the lines of code from start up?

Thanks

MiguelVB

Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi there ! I am very new to Raspberry PI, please help! I formatted the card, downloaded the OS > however it is giving an error "Error writing image to SD card dd:/dev/mmcblk0: Invalid argument" any help will be much appreciated. should I try and download the OS again? Cheers
Miguel

Pericles0312

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:51 am

Hi abishur

You wrote, right at the beginning:

[The menu won't be shown on later boots, but can be recalled at any time by running raspi-config: using:
Code: Select all
sudo raspi-config
To get into the familiar graphical user interface (GUI), after you have logged in, type
startx]

I'm struggling to reverse a configuration choice I have made which is to automatically boot up the MIT Scratch GUI. I wonder whether your advice can help here but I'm not sure where I insert the code you mention. Would you be able to assist? Sorry if this is self-evident; I'm very much a newbie at programming.

Kind regards
Pericles0312

britantyo

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:12 am

hi, i'm newbie here, nice to meet ya'

i'm confused with the SD card setup tutorial in http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

if i want to flash raspbian wheezy, do i have to format it first using SDformater? or i just flash the raspbian wheezy image directly using http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ ?

thanks,

DeeJay

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:34 am

britantyo wrote:if i want to flash raspbian wheezy, do i have to format it first using SDformater?
You don't have to. It won't do any harm if you do.
or i just flash the raspbian wheezy image directly using http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ ?
That's what it says under the heading Flashing the SD Card using Windows. That looks correct to me.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

penguintutor

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:55 am

The SD card association disk formatter is usually required to reformat an SD card when it has been split into multiple partitions (after installing an image directly, or in the case of NOOBs after you have selected an operating system to install from the boot screen). It is not normally required for a standard pre-formatted SD card but there is no harm in using the formatter first (obviously it will delete any data on the SD card though).

lovespellsx

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:07 pm

just got my pi board last week, this tutorial helped a great deal. i'm up and running. let with trying the video & audio stuff
This is me, This is life & This is us

ChengYu

Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:13 am

HI Guys,
This is my first time uing a Raspberry Pi, can you give me more tips thanks!
~Cheng-Yu :D

batboyseif

Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:49 pm

for Egyptian raspberry Pi fans there is workshops in fab lab egypt coming up soon so if you want to join like them on this page https://www.facebook.com/fablabegypt :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

HM_Lord

Setup for newbies

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:34 am

Hello everyone.

I need some help with the Pi. Every time I turn it on it comes up with thease 9 options... Raspbian, Arch, OpenELEC, Pidora, RISC OS, RaspBMC, Data Partion, Raspbian - Boot To Scratch, and Pidora again. At the top of the screen there are the words NOOBS v1.3.2 - Built Nov 2 2013. I really want to use the Pi for gaming and I don`t now which one to click but I`ve already tryed Raspbian but it does not work PLZ PLZ PLZ help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:40 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.
We can't offer much help with th einformation yourve given us so far - what do you mean it doesn't work?
What games are you expecting to play on the pi?
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

bobsparkes

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:49 pm

I'm having real problems just getting started. I can log in and do a "startx" with no problems, but when I try to do anything else, I get messages telling me that it can't do what I ask, or can't find what I want, even though I follow the instructions in the User Guide accurately (Yes, I check and double-check the spelling!). I kept thinking that my software might be out-of-date (I bought the whole package from Element14 last January), but is that possible?

A a good example of my problems, If I enter the instructions on Page 154 of the User Guide (about starting Python) and enter these instructions into IDLE:
#! usr/bin/env python
print "Hello, World!"
sure enough, it prints out "Hello World!", but when I save this program on the desktop (as "helloworld.py") and ask the RPi to run it with "python helloworld.py", all I get is an error message saying "Invalid syntax".
What am I doing wrong?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:24 pm

bobsparkes wrote:I'm having real problems just getting started. I can log in and do a "startx" with no problems, but when I try to do anything else, I get messages telling me that it can't do what I ask, or can't find what I want, even though I follow the instructions in the User Guide accurately (Yes, I check and double-check the spelling!). I kept thinking that my software might be out-of-date (I bought the whole package from Element14 last January), but is that possible?

A a good example of my problems, If I enter the instructions on Page 154 of the User Guide (about starting Python) and enter these instructions into IDLE:
#! usr/bin/env python
print "Hello, World!"
sure enough, it prints out "Hello World!", but when I save this program on the desktop (as "helloworld.py") and ask the RPi to run it with "python helloworld.py", all I get is an error message saying "Invalid syntax".
What am I doing wrong?
It's frustrating when you are starting out and nothing works as it should, or how you think it should, but keep at it. Regarding software - 11 months is a very long time in the pi software world, but that doesn't mean that older instructions simply stop working. Can you copy and paste exactly what you enter and the message you receive when you try your python program out? Incidently you don't necessarily have to run startx for a lot of python programs. Probably best to keep to the CLI whilst you are learning, IMHO. You can use nano to enter the program, but be warned that white space and indentation is critical for python programs to work correctly.
rgds,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

bobsparkes

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi Texy

Thank you for responding. I followed your advice and bought a brand new SD card with the NOOB software already installed. This works OK, but I still get the same "invalid syntax" error message when I work within the Python Shell frame and type in
print "Hello, World" .
I imagine that the keyboards must be sending the wrong code somehow, but it actually does print on the screen as
print "Hello, World"
so I don't think that is the answer. Do you have any other suggestions?

Bob

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:09 am

There's two versions of python that are installed. Python2 and Python3. They have different syntax requirements.

#!/usr/bin/python3
print ("Hello World!")

#!/usr/bin/python
print "Hello World"
Python3 is the most annoying thing in the history of the planet. They changed too many things incompatibly.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

bobsparkes

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi Dougie

Thank you, ever so, for your help. That is exactly what I was doing wrong! The Raspberry Pi User Guide says to use IDLE3 rather than IDLE, but it doesn't say that IDLE3 uses python3 and that the latter has a different syntax. I used to tell my students never to get the latest version of Windows until all th bugs had been ironed out. I should have listened to my own advice!

Regards

Bob Sparkes

bobsparkes

Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:01 pm

re my previous note:

I've since discovered that the raspberry Pi User Guide DOES say that IDLE3 uses python3 and that this is different from python2, but it also clearly states on page 153 that "You can safely load either version, and these examples will still work." Well, Messrs Upton and Halfacree, they wont! I spent hours trying to discover what I was doing wrong, it was most frustrating.

Bob Sparkes

ChengYu

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:24 am

Hi This ia a video on how to setup a raspi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vESNEpBJ ... e=youtu.be
Hope you like the vid!

lucha1

on first "boot", only get a noobs box

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:46 pm

I have read through most of the instructions but have not found my problem: I think I successfully copied all the NOOB files to my SC card. When I turned on (plugged in) the Pi, I saw the pretty rainbow colours and then a message about connecting to the internet (which I did not do as I don't want to be on-line yet.) and then got stuck with an empty square labled Noobs v.1.3.2 built November 2, 2013. Below are 4 little icons in a row: install, edit config, online help and exit. None of the icons responds when clicked. Underneath is the large empty box into which it would seem I could type something but nothing appears when I type. Beneath the box is a language drop-down and a keyboard drop-down to select language and keyboard type. That's it. Nothing else appears on the screen.
I would be grateful for suggestions of what I can do now!

DeeJay

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 pm

lucha1: your question in this thread appears to be a duplicate of http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewto ... 74#p503974, which has been answered there.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

lucha1

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Thank you, Dee Jay. Sorry for the duplication.
Have resolved the problem. (but no doubt will have more...!)

CopterRichie

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:36 pm

Please, can someone share a shutdown script that I can connect to one of the GPIO pins execute from the inittab file when it receives a port connection?

Thank you.

Return to “Beginners”