bazza14

Re: Getting Started with the Raspberry Pi

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:13 pm

openloopx wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't have a digital camera and I'm trying to decipher the suggested download links, but I'm struggling with the German!

Perhaps I will just try the standard XP format command which I have used previously.
You could download and burn a live linux dvd. Boot of that and use the linux tools to create your sd card :-)
LINUX convert since 2003

bazza14

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:27 pm

weridoo wrote:hi evry one
my problem is a i install ububntu mate in my sd card for raspberry pi 3 but i dont have monitor and linux os in my laptop i can conact to raspbian with my laptop to monitor os but i can not conact to ubuntu mate with my ethernet cable but ssh in ububntu mate not runing someone help me to solve my problem i have tablet but i dont any hdmi or hdmi to vga cable evry thin i have laptop with windows 10 (dont have linux os) and ethernet cable and tablet..please help
Ubuntu Mate is meant to be used graphically. That is to say you need a monitor and keyboard to use it.
Quote from the ubuntu mate website.
NOTE! There are no predefined user accounts. The first time you boot one of the desktop images it will run through a setup wizard where you can create your own user account and configure your regional settings.
No user account by default means you cannot login remotely. There is no user to log in as.
LINUX convert since 2003

alike02

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:52 am

Hi

I was wondering will my Pi be damaged if I never shut it down/if I just keep it running indefinitely?

BMS Doug

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:57 am

alike02 wrote:Hi

I was wondering will my Pi be damaged if I never shut it down/if I just keep it running indefinitely?

some users have reported multi-year run times on some of their pi's, you should be OK.

Pi3 may need a heat sink.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

martinmarty

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:45 am

alike02 wrote:Hi

Hi. I have RPi 1 model B and B+ hardware running about 29 months and I have RPi 2 hardware that has been running 13 months. Out of a total of 10 RPIs operating pretty much continuously for a year or more, I have had no failures, but one scare which turned out to be the power supply, not the RPi. None of them use any aftermarket heatsinks or fans. Half of my Pis are in the little plastic cases https://www.adafruit.com/products/1997 you can buy, half are in larger plastic enclosures. All are operating indoors at normal room temperature for humans, no unusual or special environmental conditions.

teprojects1

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:03 pm

thanks to let me know how to start with Raspberry Pi !, the attached resources are really very informative. I like to read more about raspberry in details to get grip in this.
An Expert in Engineering Projects | Arduino Projects

seeoh9

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Yeah thanks @abishur. Very helpful notes indeed - even a few years later after your initial post! :D

MissQuinn

Wed May 31, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi guys,

I just got my raspberry pi, I tried to run the 'startx' and showed up the message 'FATAL: Module g2d_23 not found.'. Even though I have read that this can be ignored, nothing happens.... I don't get a nice screen with a raspberry like I've seen in other places. Can someone take me through this, please? (really frying my newbie brain here :roll: :) )

Thanks

Starsmer

Re: STICKY: Getting Started with the Raspberry Pi

Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:58 am

Hey folks. I recently installed Debian Stretch onto a 32 GB card and it loads up fine, but, i never got the initial setup screen, thus did not get to set up my Root password. Still new to Linux, and no clue how to proceed from here.

HenryReynolds

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:40 pm

I really don't know what's this Raspberry Pi? Is it a mother board for PC?

rpdom

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:51 pm

HenryReynolds wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:40 pm
I really don't know what's this Raspberry Pi? Is it a mother board for PC?
From the FAQs:
1. WHAT IS A RASPBERRY PI?

The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card-sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It is a capable little computer which can be used in electronics projects, and for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word processing, browsing the internet, and playing games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to see it being used by adults and children all over the world to learn programming and digital making.

Basically it is a small computer. Not as fast as a modern PC, but what do you expect for that price? You can't use Windows programs on it, but you can choose from over 15,000 "packages" of programs for it with many of the things you'd normally run on a PC, plus a load more as well. Read through some of the posts on this forum to see some of the amazing projects people have used their Raspberry Pi for. I have used them to control my heating, some lights, run a webserver, drive printers, be a smart doorbell, video wildlife, manage my shopping, catalogue an entire library (around 13,000 books), control lights on my christmas tree and a load more. :-)

Return to “Beginners”