Roboguy99

Connect Pi to internet using ethernet to pc, then wireless

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:44 am

I would like to connect my Pi to the internet, but don't have a wireless adapter that works with the pi (they need drivers on a disk installed using EXEs). I therefore would like to connect it to the internet using an ethernet cable connected to my laptop, which is connected to the internet wirelessly. My only problem is I don't know where to start. Can anyone help?

Oysterville

Re: Connect Pi to internet using ethernet to pc, then wirele

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:50 pm

For sharing like that you need to make sure that whichever operating system that you have on the laptop supports Internet Connection Sharing. If it does, then Google how to set that up. You will also need what's called a crossover cable, which looks just like a regular Ethernet cable but it's wired just a tad differently inside. Your local computer supply shop will be able to get you one, or you can buy one online from someplace like monoprice.com.

Those two things will get you where you want to be.

Edit: I just read that the Ethernet port on the Raspberry Pi is auto-sensing, so you may be able to just use a regular Ethernet cable. Try that before you buy a crossover cable.
Google is a helluva drug.

cdduvall

Re: Connect Pi to internet using ethernet to pc, then wirele

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:47 pm

Unless you are using a very very old NIC, it supports auto sensing, which allows you to plug in a regular patch cable (ethernet cable) and it will do the exact same as a cross-over cable. When you wire two machines together this way the only difference is there is no DHCP server to assign a dynamic IP, so you need to setup the static IP, subnet, default gateway, etc. all yourself. I have a similar post asking this same thing...no one ever replied though. My problem lies with the default gateway. I could never get it to route through my Windows machine to the internet from the pi correctly.

Return to “Beginners”