adgriff2

Default User?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:29 am

I'm familiarizing myself with the startup process of Raspbian.

After a reboot, I normally just SSH in with Putty from a new user I created called 'admin' (same permissions as default 'pi' user). However, I noticed that 'top' shows me that user 'pi' is already running a few processes (LXDE, tightVNC).

I setup tightVNC to autostart by adding a file 'tightvnc.desktop' to /home/pi/.config/autostart/ and noticed there was lxpolkit.desktop already there. I assumed these were programs/scripts/whatever that ran when user 'pi' was first logged into, but they appear to be running without user 'pi' having been logged into.

Apparently these are executed at boot instead of login. Are the autostart folders of all users executed at boot?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Chris15m

Re: Default User?

Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:41 am

If you check on http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads,

You can see the default usernames and passwords. Example:

Raspbian “wheezy”
If you’re just starting out, this is the image we recommend you use. It’s a reference root filesystem from Alex and Dom, based on the Raspbian optimised version of Debian, and containing LXDE, Midori, development tools and example source code for multimedia functions.

Torrent 2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip.torrent
Direct download 2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip
SHA-1 131f2810b1871a032dd6d1482dfba10964b43bd2
Default login Username: pi Password: raspberry

mculver

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:06 pm

After Noob 1.2.1 failed on corrupt data, I downloaded the image directly (2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip). The image booted; however the default username/password of pi/rasberry does not seem to work.

Anything change?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:12 pm

should be the default, but what do you mean by "not working",
You are aware I hope that Linux by default simply turns off the keyboard echo when entering a password, that is you see nothing appear when you enter a password, but it is still accepted!

Also, if you are using a non standard keyboard you might enter the wrong letters! It might help if you try the password while entering the username, to see if the keyboard works as expected!

mculver

Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. I meant that the combo of pi/rasberry was invalid.

Then I realized that I could re-copy the image and that the startup config program would let me set the password. So I did -- to the defaults - and got in.

Now on to more productive things!

MrEngman

Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:48 am

mculver wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply. I meant that the combo of pi/rasberry was invalid.
Try pi/raspberry - rasberry won't work.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

carlsnilsson

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:47 am

MrEngman:
Thank you for your post. I fell into the same trap with the password, but before I went through with reloading Noobs and Raspbian on the SD card and starting afresh, I found your post correcting the spelling of the default password: raspberry, raspberry.....with a "p", repeat after me!
Much obliged Carl

Return to “Beginners”