zombee411

Remove USB from hub connected to PI

Fri May 10, 2013 12:46 am

First off thank you in advance for anyone's help and I'll try to keep this neat and simple.

My setup is a rPi connected to a powered USB hub. The hub has a harddrive and MagicJackPlus connected to it. I would like to keep the harddrive recognized by the Pi and disconnect the MagicJackPlus from the OS but still feed off the power of the hub. (sort of like a safe removal in Windows) I have searched the internet and found tons of stuff on "umount" but it only states it is not listed on "mtab." The MagicJackPlus will not operate on its own when connected to a computer (rPi).

penguintutor

Re: Remove USB from hub connected to PI

Sat May 11, 2013 5:23 pm

I don't know much about the MagicJack, but from what I read it sounds like when it is connected to the computing it is just acting as a audio device to allow the PC software to a phone handset.

unmount is only used for disk drives. If it's not mounting as a disk drive then you don't need to unmount it to disconnect it.

Perhaps it provides a virtual drive to download drivers and software (for other OS's), but in that case it's probably read-only so you don't need to "safely remove".

zombee411

Mon May 13, 2013 7:03 am

Thanks for the reply. The problem is the MagicJack has a phone jack port and an ethernet port to be used as a stand alone VOIP when power is supplied from a USB wall adapter. But when its connected to a computer it disables its ethernet jack and tries to connect to the computer. I would like to have it connected to the computer (rPi) for power but use its ethernet jack for regular VOIP functions. If that helps.

"dmesg" says its under "/dev/bus/usb/001/005" but I don't know how to eject it from the system.

SirLagz

Mon May 13, 2013 2:09 pm

zombee411 wrote:Thanks for the reply. The problem is the MagicJack has a phone jack port and an ethernet port to be used as a stand alone VOIP when power is supplied from a USB wall adapter. But when its connected to a computer it disables its ethernet jack and tries to connect to the computer. I would like to have it connected to the computer (rPi) for power but use its ethernet jack for regular VOIP functions. If that helps.

"dmesg" says its under "/dev/bus/usb/001/005" but I don't know how to eject it from the system.
Does the Pi load any modules when it gets plugged in ?
If it doesn't load modules, then maybe the MagicJack would think it's plugged into a USB Wall adapter ?

Does lsusb show the device ?
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

zombee411

Mon May 13, 2013 8:36 pm

Thanks for the reply SirLaqz, the MagicJack knows its plugged into something or else it would not disable its ethernet port. "dmesg" contains this
[ 3.742529] usb 1-1.3.2: new full-speed USB device number 5 using dwc_otg
[ 3.845702] udevd[154]: starting version 175
[ 3.856333] usb 1-1.3.2: New USB device found, idVendor=06e6, idProduct=c200
[ 3.873657] usb 1-1.3.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=16, Product=32, SerialNumber=09
[ 3.906157] usb 1-1.3.2: Product: USB Internet Phone by TigerJet
[ 3.928388] usb 1-1.3.2: Manufacturer: TigerJet Network, Inc.
[ 3.947873] usb 1-1.3.2: SerialNumber: 090909090909
[ 3.982729] scsi0 : usb-storage 1-1.3.2:1.0
[ 4.019745] hid-generic 0003:06E6:C200.0001: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Device [TigerJet Network, Inc. USB Internet Phone by TigerJet] on usb-bcm2708_usb-1.3.2/input4
and lsusb contains this, and the trigger "t" helped me understand it better. Its device 5
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1a40:0201 SE 2.1 7-port Hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 06e6:c200 Tiger Jet Network, Inc. Internet Phone
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bc2:5021 Seagate RSS LLC FreeAgent GoFlex USB 2.0
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 090c:6000 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.) SD/SDHC Card Reader (SG365 / FlexiDrive XC+)

SirLagz

Tue May 14, 2013 6:52 am

if you run lsmod before and after you plug in the MagicJack, does it show any new modules being loaded ?
Perhaps if you blacklist the modules then that could do something
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

turbine2

Tue May 14, 2013 9:49 am

zombee411 wrote:I would like to have it connected to the computer (rPi) for power but use its ethernet jack for regular VOIP functions. If that helps.
Sounds like what you'll need to do is make a custom cable that provides the power lines but not the data lines (Use Pins 1 & 4 but not 2 & 3). I would guess that what the device is doing is recognising the data lines and then disabling the Ethernet port based on that detection.
David

remsnet

Tue May 14, 2013 11:11 am

SirLagz wrote:
zombee411 wrote:Thanks for the reply. The problem is the MagicJack has a phone jack port and an ethernet port to be used as a stand alone VOIP when power is supplied from a USB wall adapter. But when its connected to a computer it disables its ethernet jack and tries to connect to the computer. I would like to have it connected to the computer (rPi) for power but use its ethernet jack for regular VOIP functions. If that helps.

Does the Pi load any modules when it gets plugged in ?
If it doesn't load modules, then maybe the MagicJack would think it's plugged into a USB Wall adapter ?

Does lsusb show the device ?

Code: Select all

umount -f /dev/bus/usb/001/005

eject  /dev/bus/usb/001/005
eject allmost works ONLY for removal devices like cd , floppy and usb Storange

zombee411

Tue May 14, 2013 10:07 pm

Thnaks for the replies.

Sirlagz, I tried lsmod like you said and a lot of new ones showed up, as well as some had more attached to them.

Turbine2, as a matter a fact thats already been cooking in the back of my head for quite some time.
But i would like to deal with the issue from the OS as I think this will not be the last time i run into such an issue.

Remsnet, I tried the umount command under root as it say "invalid argument" then says "not mounted." The eject command says "command not found."

I guess next step is to research blacklisting.

SirLagz

Wed May 15, 2013 3:44 am

zombee411 wrote:Thnaks for the replies.

Sirlagz, I tried lsmod like you said and a lot of new ones showed up, as well as some had more attached to them.

Turbine2, as a matter a fact thats already been cooking in the back of my head for quite some time.
But i would like to deal with the issue from the OS as I think this will not be the last time i run into such an issue.

Remsnet, I tried the umount command under root as it say "invalid argument" then says "not mounted." The eject command says "command not found."

I guess next step is to research blacklisting.
Once you find the modules you need to blacklist, it's as easy as modifying a file in /etc/modprobe.d/
and putting the module names into the file.

RASPIE45

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:53 pm

If you are NOT using the magic jack as internet phone hardware (Tiger Jet Network, Inc. Internet Phone) from you Pi, then instead of using a typical USB 2.0 cable which connects 4-pins, 2 for charging and 2 for data, here is an idea:

Since the magic jack dongle also has a small flashdrive which contains windows executables and config info, when you attach the normal 4-pin USB cable it will start data transfer, mounting the flashdrive. If you don't care about disabling data transfer on the cable for the future you can disconnect/sever the 2 data transfer wires which go to pin 2 and 3. These pins (2 and 3) are used in modern charging ports as a way to signal to the Pi to increase the power to the charging port, without this communication you will be receiving a "trickle charge" and the flash will not communicate with your Pi, which is what you want.

You may have a "trickle-charge" cable around, I have found these cheaper USB cables often come with simple devices that just need that little charge.

You could modify the USB port directly I suppose but you may physically damage your device.

drgeoff

Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:36 pm

RASPIE45 wrote:These pins (2 and 3) are used in modern charging ports as a way to signal to the Pi to increase the power to the charging port, without this communication you will be receiving a "trickle charge" and the flash will not communicate with your Pi, which is what you want.

You may have a "trickle-charge" cable around, I have found these cheaper USB cables often come with simple devices that just need that little charge.
Sorry but that is just nonsense.
1. It is true that some devices sense pins 2 and 3 to determine how much current the charger is rated to deliver. However it is the device which then determines how much current it will draw from the charger. The charger does not "increase power to the charging port".
2. The USB ports on RPis neither have preset conditions on their pins 2 and 3 nor any ability to set such conditions that conform to any of the semi-standardised parameters used to signal the current rating of a charger.
3. RPis have no means to reduce the current delivered to a USB port to a "trickle".
4. Even if the cable and/or RPi were able to reduce the current to a trickle, that would not selectively disable the communication with the flash memory. If there is not enough power for that communication, there is not enough power for the rest of the MagicJack to operate.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Return to “Beginners”