zedin

GUI via putty and xming really slow

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Since I typically run my pi headless in the bedroom I have been trying to get it so I can log into the desktop remotely on my windows machines (7 & 8 versions). I have tried using putty and x-ming which does 'work' in a fashion. I get the desktop but everything is sooo slow and laggy. If I even try to open something like pygames it takes forever (I don't know why but using this as benchmark). At first I thought it was just that due to limited memory the pi was slow but if I use the pi directly everything is nice and snappy so it is something to do with my connection.

Are there better (aka faster) alternatives to using x-11 forwarding with xming? Or other options I can try? The only other thing looking around I have seen is try using an VNC.

gerwin

Re: GUI via putty and xming really slow

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:07 pm

I use the cygwin version of the X-server. It also has a -multiwindow option which only shows the windows and not the desktop. That speeds things up a little. You can also try VNC which I use a lot and keeps your desktop running when you turn off the PC.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:38 pm

zedin wrote:Since I typically run my pi headless in the bedroom I have been trying to get it so I can log into the desktop remotely on my windows machines (7 & 8 versions). I have tried using putty and x-ming which does 'work' in a fashion. I get the desktop but everything is sooo slow and laggy. If I even try to open something like pygames it takes forever (I don't know why but using this as benchmark). At first I thought it was just that due to limited memory the pi was slow but if I use the pi directly everything is nice and snappy so it is something to do with my connection.

Are there better (aka faster) alternatives to using x-11 forwarding with xming? Or other options I can try? The only other thing looking around I have seen is try using an VNC.
Don't know about xming, but I have used PuTTY + X11 forwarding for some years both in work (before I retired) logged into a Linux cluster, and at home logged in to a NSLU2(Slug) (running an old version of Debian) and, of course, several Pi's via Windows XP, or, more often (at home) via Ubuntu Linux. PuTTY usually uses an encrypted connection (maybe xming does too) this carries an overhead on both the Pi (server) and the Windows(client) machine. Whilst this is not really noticeable for GUI editors (eg emacs) for other X11 GUI apps. it can become so. Some VNC servers/clients (eg. tightVNC) do not use encryption/decryption (by default) and so can be "faster". There are a few guides to tightVNC in the wiki, but, from other posts here, if you want the desktop to be "the same as if the Pi was directly connected to your monitor" x11vnc seems to be "the one".
HTH, Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

umershujaat

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Did you get a solution to this question ?

ghans

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:05 pm

VNC will propably perform better.
Note that Remote Desktop Protocols were not
meant for videos or games though.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Beginners”