haleyma

Should I use different SD cards for different "builds"?

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Such a Noob that I can't find this info in the forums!
I've been working with my RPi and am looking at trying to set up a Media Center as a project. If I want to use RaspianXBMC (or whatever), it boots directly from the SD card. I've been booting Wheezy from my card and am wondering it is a good idea to get separate SD cards with different builds on them or just write over the one I have? If that is even possible. Any suggestions? Could I just get a couple different SD cards? Thanks. MAH

chris57100

Re: Should I use different SD cards for different "builds"?

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:22 pm

Depends if you switch often the card. In my case for all tutorials of my blog i try to start from scratch but i keep on side a Raspbmc dedicated card.
Another way is to use berryboot that will allow you to install different distro on the same card
Raspberry Pi Home Server : http://www.pihomeserver.fr
Software and electronic tutorials : Samba, Airplay, CUPS, Time machine, Nginx, Owncloud, rTorrent, Wordpress, etc.
Full Wi-Fi hotspot installation on a RPi 3 including a captive portal and freeradius management: https://github.com/pihomeserver/Kupiki-Hotspot-Script

rpdom

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Using different SD cards for different builds is a good idea. It will also enable you to boot using an alternative card if you have problems, and possibly fix them. It's what I do :)

The alternative is something like BerryBoot, which allows you to have more than one build on a card.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:32 pm

I think that SD cards are now pretty cheap at the sizes needed (4GB is fine), so there isn't really any reason not to use a different card for each task. So I have one for OpenELEC, one for camera testing etc.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

pjc123

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Another option, if you don't have the cash for extra SD cards, is that you could save the image of each build when you are done with it by using something like Win32 Disk Imager in reverse. Instead of doing a "Write" (Write data in Image file to Device), you would do a "Read" (Write data on Device to Image File). Then you can have as many builds as you want and use the same SD card. The only caveat is that the image files will be large (Full size of the card) unless you use something like Clonezilla to back them up.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

Burngate

Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:14 am

haleyma wrote:... or just write over the one I have? If that is even possible...
Since noone else has said so explicitly, yes it is.
Writing a new image to a card overwrites whatever was there.

lmarmisa

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:21 am

If you are using Raspbian, you could create more than one ext4 partition on SD card and store sereval builds in one SD card.

The first partition on SD, of type FAT and named /dev/mmcblk0p1, is the boot loader. This is mounted on folder /boot. You can select the system you wish to run editing the file /boot/cmdline.txt. These are the contents of this file in the case of a system booting from a external USB drive (/dev/sda):

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/sda1 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
You could change /dev/sda with the device name of partition you wish to boot (/dev/mmcblk0px).

More information here:

http://www.networkinghowtos.com/howto/r ... ory-stick/

Best regards,

Luis

Return to “Beginners”