pete54321

Cloud and Media centre

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:06 am

Hey guys, I'm very new to this so sorry if this is a stupid question and has a blatantly obvious answer.
I was just wondering if I could use my model B as a cloud storage and media centre at the same time?
So, being able to access an external hard drive plugged into the model B and being able to stream audio and video through it at the same time using the model B's headphone jack and HDMI output?
Thanks for your time,
Pete

chris57100

Re: Cloud and Media centre

Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:36 am

You can combine Owncloud and XBMC (installing Owncloud on Raspbmc ?) but not really sure that performances of the both used at the same time will be good.
By the way you can send audio throught HDMI output. Audio jack of the Raspberry is really bad.
Raspberry Pi Home Server : http://www.pihomeserver.fr
Software and electronic tutorials : Samba, Airplay, CUPS, Time machine, Nginx, Owncloud, rTorrent, Wordpress, etc.
Full Wi-Fi hotspot installation on a RPi 3 including a captive portal and freeradius management: https://github.com/pihomeserver/Kupiki-Hotspot-Script

WebPi

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but you could try installing Samba on XBMC. This wouldn't make your Pi a cloud server, but you would be able to share folders on the external disk across your home network.
raspberrywebserver.com - Raspberry Pi tutorials
LinuxWebServers.net - Linux Web Server tutorials and examples
pyplate.com - Python web publishing tool

pete54321

Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:38 pm

WebPi wrote:I'm not sure if this is what you want, but you could try installing Samba on XBMC. This wouldn't make your Pi a cloud server, but you would be able to share folders on the external disk across your home network.
That sounds pretty much spot on, do you know how the pi holds up with this?
Would I see a significant drop in performance?

WebPi

Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:18 pm

D'Oh, didn't see your reply until just now. Sorry. But to answer your question, I didn't see much drop in performance. I was able to use my Pi without any problems while copying files to/from my PC. I haven't tested it in much detail though.
raspberrywebserver.com - Raspberry Pi tutorials
LinuxWebServers.net - Linux Web Server tutorials and examples
pyplate.com - Python web publishing tool

Return to “Beginners”