Squid

Setting up internet via laptop

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:18 am

I'm new to the raspberry pi and I want to connect to the internet using my laptop via an ethernet cable. My raspberry pi uses Raspbian and my laptop runs Windows 7. Help please?

azeam

Re: Setting up internet via laptop

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:27 am

Do you want to connect your laptop directly to the RPi with an ethernet cable and share the internet connection (from a Wi-Fi adapter?) from the RPi to the laptop, is that it?

Squid

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:29 am

Pretty much, but my laptop can already receive WiFi. Basically, I want to use my laptop as a WiFi adapter.

azeam

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:34 am

Squid wrote:Pretty much, but my laptop can already receive WiFi. Basically, I want to use my laptop as a WiFi adapter.
Ok, so you want to share the internet connection from the laptop to the RPi (and not the other way around) I guess. Never used Windows 7 so I can't help you there, maybe this page http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... ows-7.html will help.

Squid

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks.... I'll try it

Squid

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:38 am

It doesn't work...

azeam

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 am

Squid wrote:It doesn't work...
You'll have to give us some more information, what doesn't work? What messages are you receiving?

Squid

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:45 am

Ok, in the 'Sharing' tab of the Wireless Connection Properties, when I check the "Allow other network users to connect using this computer internet connection" box, a text box comes up saying "Home Networking Connection". I can't type anything in it, and the RPi doesn't do anything...

gmoll3

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:03 am

I just did this and here's the solution! Are you ready?

On your laptop, go here: Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
Two things should show up, your local connection and your wireless connection. Just to be sure, go double click on your wireless connection and go into the settings and turn internet sharing OFF.

Next go back to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections and click and drag so that both your local connection and wireless connection are both selected. Right click on either connection and select "Bridge connections"...wait for a moment and you're done!

Manually shut off your raspberry pi, connect your ethernet cable, and turn on your pi.
It should be ready to go! Worked for me!

Gideon

RobbieB

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi,

I was recently in a similar situation as I live in a rural area.

Here is a quick tutorial on this topic in case anyone else would like to use their laptop as a wireless adapter for the Raspberry Pi: http://www.robbiebrandrick.com/Blog/Details/6

Cheers,
RobbieB
Last edited by RobbieB on Wed May 01, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DKMaster

Wed May 01, 2013 8:28 am

Yes you can set up a connection to the raspberry pi via laptop by bridgeing the connection, i have done it while using Raspbmc and it works great. :)

doubleoseverin

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi there. I wonder if you can help me out with this problem of connecting the raspberry pi to the internet via a laptop that uses a wi-fi connection, as the first post queried. I have managed to create a bridge (not quite as gmoll3 directed) but via a website at http://www.robbiebrandrick.com/Blog/Details/6 When I do this the network icon on the windows 7 machine seems to fluctuate between a wireless icon with a yellow dot on (meaning not connected) a LAN/ethernet icon (supposedly connected) and the same icon with an exclamation mark on (presumably limited connection). When I have tried troubleshooting it, it reports that the bridge does not have a valid IP address and a window pops up saying that more than one machine has the same IP address. This certainly seems to be the case as when I do an ifconfig on the Rpi it is using the same address as the laptop it is connected to. Is this a consequence of the bridging process? When I do a sudo apt-get update it seems to have problems with domain names but seems to download the file list. At first I thought it was a DNS problem and to try and sort this put exceptions for the raspberry pi in my virus checker, but this did not work and I ended up turning the virus checker off, still to no avail. I have tried a static address and changed the nameservers, but still to no avail. All this is not helped by the fact that I seem to have some sort of advertising malware on the laptop and even though I can access the internet I cannot directly access the router. Could this be the problem? Any help much appreciated, before I completely give up on computers and throw them out the window

doubleoseverin

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Damn. I'll Try posting again. Must remember to always cut and paste. Anyway Hi there. I wonder if anyone can help me out. As described in http://www.robbiebrandrick.com/Blog/Details/6 I have successfully bridged the wireless and Lan networks, but I still seem to be having problems connecting the Rpi to the internet. On the windows 7 machine the network icon alternates between a wireless icon with a yellow dot in (not connected) and a Lan icon with an exclamation mark in (presumably partially connected). I am using DHCP on both machines, but have also tried a static address on the Rpi, to no avail. I have also tried making exceptions in the virus checker firewall, as well as completely switching it off, again, to no avail, as I thought at first it was a DNS or ICMP problem because when issuing a ping command it failed and when doing a sudo apt-get update command it seemed not to be able to resolve the domain name but appeared to be downloading/reading the file list. On issuing the command ifconfig on the Rpi, I find it is using the same IP (is this a consequence of bridging?) as the laptop and when trying to troubleshoot the network on windows it reports this in a pop up window. Troubleshooter also reports that the bridge is not using a valid IP. Although I can access the internet, I cannot directly access the router. Could this be the problem? This is all not helped by the fact that I seem to have recently acquired some sort of advertising malware that possibly has caused all these problems???????? Any help much appreciated, before I completely give up on the world of computers and throw them out the window

doubleoseverin

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi there again. I've made some progress with things, but still could do with some help. I've got rid of most of the malware with spybot and hopefully by the end of today they will all be eradicated. As a consequence I can now access my router directly. I have stopped the network icon in the taskbar alternating between the wireless icon with a yellow dot, the LAN icon and the LAN icon with an exclamation mark on it. This was done by simply updating the driver (although microsoft said it was from an untrusted source) for the MAC bridge miniport, then setting up the bridge and finally rebooting the Pi. Both computers still have the same IP address of 192.168.0.4. I can now access the internet from the windows laptop with the bridge in place, but (obviously, because I'm still posting) I'm still having trouble connecting the Pi to the internet. A couple of things that might be worth of note: 1) When the bridge is put in place and it has fully authenticated/identified the network it uses the name of an old configuration for the wireless connection 2) When I go to internet options > connections > LAN settings, the proxy server box was ticked using localhost and port 21320. It does not seem to make a difference whether it is ticked or not and am just wondering (again) if it is a consequence of the malware. Again, I have also tried switching off the firewall, but again, to no avail. I think that is all. Any help much appreciated

doubleoseverin

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Hi there once more. Well I've managed to do it :) I feel obliged to put this post up to try and help others that might be having the same problem. Basically I gave the Pi a static IP address and then rebooted the Pi. I seemed to have to reboot the Pi as when I issued the command sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart command followed by an ifconfig even though I'm sure it should have assigned the IP address to eth0, it did not. Maybe somebody could tell me why this is the case? Anyway, for those of you who have not got the Pi user guide book, here's what I did:

issued the command: sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

edit the line that is "iface eth0 inet dhcp" and replace dhcp with the word static

press return for the next line and type the following. After each line press return. Note:- where there is the "[tab]", don't type the word "[tab]", just press the tab key. Also note that the IP address used are all for a class C (if memory serves me right) network and the laptop has to be on the same subnet (i.e. 192.168.0.x) to work, as well as the router. Normally the router has address 192.168.0.1, but I have seen them use 192.168.1.1. Obviously the address line is the IP address of the Pi and has to be unique on the network; as they all have to be for each individual computer/interface. Here it is then:

[tab] address 192.168.0.100
[tab] netmask 255.255.255.0
[tab] gateway 192.168.0.1

to save press Ctrl and o then return, then exit by pressing ctrl and x.

Hope this is of some help to people. Job's a good 'un. well happy. onwards and upwards with what I actually want to do with the Pi

banlieusarde

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:22 am

Next go back to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections and click and drag so that both your local connection and wireless connection are both selected. Right click on either connection and select "Bridge connections"...wait for a moment and you're done!
I did this and after clicking "Bridge connections", I get this message:

To create a Network Bridge, you must select at least two LAN or High-Speed Internet connections that are not being used by Internet Connection Sharing.

Any suggestions?

Aphit

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:58 pm

I made an account just to say this....THANK YOU SO MUCH! The following is exactly what allowed me to start using my Pi by using a bridged connection with my laptop.
doubleoseverin wrote:Hi there once more. Well I've managed to do it :) I feel obliged to put this post up to try and help others that might be having the same problem. Basically I gave the Pi a static IP address and then rebooted the Pi. I seemed to have to reboot the Pi as when I issued the command sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart command followed by an ifconfig even though I'm sure it should have assigned the IP address to eth0, it did not. Maybe somebody could tell me why this is the case? Anyway, for those of you who have not got the Pi user guide book, here's what I did:

issued the command: sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

edit the line that is "iface eth0 inet dhcp" and replace dhcp with the word static

press return for the next line and type the following. After each line press return. Note:- where there is the "[tab]", don't type the word "[tab]", just press the tab key. Also note that the IP address used are all for a class C (if memory serves me right) network and the laptop has to be on the same subnet (i.e. 192.168.0.x) to work, as well as the router. Normally the router has address 192.168.0.1, but I have seen them use 192.168.1.1. Obviously the address line is the IP address of the Pi and has to be unique on the network; as they all have to be for each individual computer/interface. Here it is then:

[tab] address 192.168.0.100
[tab] netmask 255.255.255.0
[tab] gateway 192.168.0.1

to save press Ctrl and o then return, then exit by pressing ctrl and x.

Hope this is of some help to people. Job's a good 'un. well happy. onwards and upwards with what I actually want to do with the Pi

SiriusHardware

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:59 am

banlieusarde wrote:
I did this and after clicking "Bridge connections", I get this message:

To create a Network Bridge, you must select at least two LAN or High-Speed Internet connections that are not being used by Internet Connection Sharing.

Any suggestions?
I think you misread the bit where you were told to select TWO internet connections before right clicking on one of them and selecting 'Bridge Connections'. You have to have TWO selected / highlighted so the computer knows which two you are trying to bridge together. If that still doesn't work, do you presently have internet connection sharing turned on on one of the interfaces? If so you'll need to turn it off.

trdough

Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:19 am

I am trying to get on the internet as well connecting my Pi to my laptop. I have tried bridging connections. I am using Putty in order to access the Pi but after I bridged the two wireless and lan connections I cannot connect to my Pi using Putty. The only error it gives is that the connection timed out. Anybody got any ideas?

azazelhelp

Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:11 am

WORKING: Connect RPi to Laptop internet via ethernet.

This is what I did.
My laptop is configured to my Wifi.
In windows, go to network and sharing center.
Select change adapter settings.
Right-click your wifi, select Properties and go to the sharing tab.
Check the boxes asking if you want to share the internet connection.
Apply your settings.

On RPi, I have SSH enabled for putty and other things so I needed the net as well.

Once you have done this, turn on your RPi and connect via ethernet cable, You should have a working internet connection now.

Zalkiaent

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:12 pm

Yeah, I am having problems...
I want to use my windows 10 laptop in order to do this, but in every tutorial here, it just won't work! I need help... I am stumped :( ...

socketsox

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:37 am

I am also having this problem with a windows 8.1 machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

socketsox

Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:45 am

Having the same problem with windows 8.1
Any help would be greatly appreciated

stderr

Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:38 am

socketsox wrote:Having the same problem with windows 8.1
I think this thread is about using Windows to share internet with other devices. There was a day when people often had a modem hooked up to the phone line and it was inside their Windows machine, so sharing made some sense. But usually today we have external modems that are hooked up to routers, many actually have the router and switch built in.

Now you might have some specific thing you are trying to do that is unusual, but your post doesn't detail it so it's hard to say what to do. Obviously this isn't a Windows forum so the best support would probably come from there. But what are you trying to do?

socketsox

Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:05 pm

stderr wrote:
socketsox wrote:Having the same problem with windows 8.1
I think this thread is about using Windows to share internet with other devices. There was a day when people often had a modem hooked up to the phone line and it was inside their Windows machine, so sharing made some sense. But usually today we have external modems that are hooked up to routers, many actually have the router and switch built in.

Now you might have some specific thing you are trying to do that is unusual, but your post doesn't detail it so it's hard to say what to do. Obviously this isn't a Windows forum so the best support would probably come from there. But what are you trying to do?
Yeah thats exactly what I meant. My windows machine has internet and my raspberry pi is hooked up to it by an ethernet cable. Im trying to get the raspberry pi to use internet from the windows machine..... this is the exact same problem this thread was set up for. I dont have a router - internet is provided by a hotspotted phone. Im also not good with computers - just a beginner, and am not used to windows 8.1. Ive been searching around the control panel to try and mimic what was already said but cant seem to do it. if you could help in any way it would be appreciated

Return to “Beginners”