SiriusHardware

Re: Best Cheap WiFi Dongle

Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:36 am

BoomerZack wrote:Can i just say that if you are going to buy one of these (which i did and they are fantastic and under £4.00):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261166708533? ... 1497.l2649

they do still need a bit of config to get them working, or at least the drivers need to be downloaded, (well on raspbian anyway!) so to help anyone wishing to buy comfast or any wifi dongle that uses the RTL8188CUS chipset take a look here for a real quick and easy guide to getting these working:

http://pingbin.com/2012/12/setup-wifi-raspberry-pi/
BZ, all versions of Raspbian since about September 2012 have natively supported wifi dongles with the RTL8188CUS chipset. You (usually) just plug them in, turn on, let the OS discover them and then use the desktop GUI to configure them.

pluggy

Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:35 pm

BoomerZack wrote:Can i just say that if you are going to buy one of these (which i did and they are fantastic and under £4.00):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261166708533? ... 1497.l2649

they do still need a bit of config to get them working, or at least the drivers need to be downloaded, (well on raspbian anyway!) so to help anyone wishing to buy comfast or any wifi dongle that uses the RTL8188CUS chipset take a look here for a real quick and easy guide to getting these working:

http://pingbin.com/2012/12/setup-wifi-raspberry-pi/
It doesn't need drivers unless you're running an ancient version of Raspdian, it just works. With the latest firmware (I don't consider it firmware, but everyone seems to want to call it that on the Pi) it works fine on the Model 'A' now.

I keep a couple in stock now, because I get odd jobs that involve setting up desktop computers and as they work on Windoze (although the driver needs to be installed) its a cheap way of making an old desktop PC wireless.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Proctor3284

Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:46 am

I have recently bought a TP-Link wifi dongle for the Pi (model B). I cant seem to get this thing to work. I am a beginner on the Pi and would like to know if there are any compatibility problems or otherwise. The chipset Realtek RTL8188CUS.
I have installed WICD to help with the set up but it just doesn't detect the wifi dongle, let alone any network. The Pi works fine on the Ethernet cable.
Will I have to buy another dongle to enable me to go wireless?

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

pluggy

Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Does it work on any computer ?

If you're using a recent Raspdian (2013 or late 2012) you just configure it with the utility on the desktop. It doesn't need anything else. The RTL8188CUS is arguably the easiest or one of the easiest Wifi adaptors to get to go on a Pi. Its supported out of the box.

Download the latest rasbdian (2013-05-25) flash it to a new SD card and try that from scratch, as it stands.

pettefar

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:50 pm

I want my Model A with a fixed IP and Edimax USB WiFi adapter to hook up to my WiFi router automatically at power-on boot and to reconnect if the router is reset. Unfortunately I haven't yet discovered a way to do this. I have to power-cycle it to get it to reconnect which is ridiculous. Also it randomly disconnects after a day or so.

Is there a foolproof way to set it up so that it can actively re-connect or do I have to write a script to ifdown-ifup wlan0 whenever it can't ping the router any more?

Nick (frustrated of Dublin)

pluggy wrote:Theres not much wrong with linux, all the wifi adaptors I've tried with Ubuntu on a PC just work, It comes up with a list of available access points, select one, type in the wifi Key and it goes. ...
Nick
Dublin

Proctor3284

Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks Pluggy, will give that a try later this week and get back to you to see if that works.

Proctor3284

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:51 am

pluggy wrote:Does it work on any computer ?

If you're using a recent Raspdian (2013 or late 2012) you just configure it with the utility on the desktop. It doesn't need anything else. The RTL8188CUS is arguably the easiest or one of the easiest Wifi adaptors to get to go on a Pi. Its supported out of the box.

Download the latest rasbdian (2013-05-25) flash it to a new SD card and try that from scratch, as it stands.
Pluggy, it didn't work on the Pi. It was a devil to set up on my laptop (windows). Went out the way and bought one recommended by Pi Hut. Plugged in and worked first time without any hitches. I think the other adaptor was more suited for PC and Mac. I had tried to flash my card with the latest OS for pi but it wouldn't have it.

pluggy

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:24 am

Proctor3284 wrote:
pluggy wrote:Does it work on any computer ?

Pluggy, it didn't work on the Pi. It was a devil to set up on my laptop (windows). Went out the way and bought one recommended by Pi Hut. Plugged in and worked first time without any hitches. I think the other adaptor was more suited for PC and Mac. I had tried to flash my card with the latest OS for pi but it wouldn't have it.
Then they have changed the chipset used in the adaptor or you're using old software. The 3 I have running can't be wrong. I bought another 2 from the same Ebay vendor (icetech) at the end of May, they still use the same RTL8188CUS chipset, they still just work with a recent Raspdian.

It is a bit of a pig to get running on windows. Giving the machine another internet connection and letting Windows find its own driver worked, two drivers I downloaded didn't.

MrEngman

Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:45 am

Proctor3284 wrote:I have recently bought a TP-Link wifi dongle for the Pi (model B). I cant seem to get this thing to work. I am a beginner on the Pi and would like to know if there are any compatibility problems or otherwise. The chipset Realtek RTL8188CUS.
I have installed WICD to help with the set up but it just doesn't detect the wifi dongle, let alone any network. The Pi works fine on the Ethernet cable.
Will I have to buy another dongle to enable me to go wireless?

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks
As far as I'm concerned trying to use WICD is just going to complicate things.

If you're using a device with rtl8188cus then you really should have no problems setting it up.

What TP-Link dongle are you using, would be useful to know? If it's a TL-WN725N there are two versions. V1 uses the rtl8188cus. V2 uses the rtl8188eu. If command lsusb shows it has a USB ID of 0bda:8179 it is a V2 and uses the rtl8188eu.

What does the output of lsmod show? Do you see 8192cu listed? If you do then the module will use an rtl8188cus. If not then the dongle probably doesn't use the rtl8188cus and may use the rtl8188eu.

A driver is available for the rtl8188eu and can be installed using the following.

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20130209.tar.gz
tar -zxvf 8188eu-20130209.tar.gz
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo depmod -a
and I find the most reliable configuration is to edit /etc/network/interfaces to look like

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "network name"
wpa-psk "network password"
which will be OK whether it is an rtl8188cus or rtl8188eu.

But if you've already tried with WICD then god knows what will happen. Re-install your SD card with the latest Raspbian and start again.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Proctor3284

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:03 am

Dear All,

Decided to get a replacement dongle. The TP Link device was ok with windows (got it to work on Win7). They (customer help) were very useful in supplying some of the details with regards to chipset and that. Bought a device from the pi store and it worked right the first time.
I would like to thank those who have sent out posts with advice. Had a similar problem setting up Wi-Fi with my god son's pi, but have resolved that problem.

Regards

Mick

pluggy

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Where did the TP sneak into the equation ?. As MrEngman (And if anyone knows whether an RTL8188CUS works, its him) stated the version 2 doesn't have the RTL8188CUS chipset. The cheapy Ebay Comfast ones being discussed on this thread are to the best of my knowledge (as of the end of May at any rate) are still using the CUS variant, and they still just work out of the box.

pluggy

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 pm

Since Icetech have stopped selling the one posted and Comfast seem to be selling a different design now, I've ordered one of the new ones for evaluation purposes. It may not work out of the box, may even have one of these RTL8188EU chipsets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261226675344

Looks a bit bigger than the old model.....

Still cheap.

mikerr

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:31 pm

I use these Ralink RT5370

which can be had for under £3 and work well on PCs too (no drivers needed on Pi, or PC)

pluggy

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:59 pm

I have one of those too, the 8188CUS's appear to be more stable in the long term with most of my Pis , but whatever else you have connected and the exact state of updates has a lot to do with it as well. And its not always the latest that is the best. Camera's, both USB and the Pi's own module don't help. My Pi with the longest uptime has a RT5370 adaptor (not one of those) in it, but no cameras and a non updated "#371" from February.

[email protected]:~# uptime
 14:56:51 up 47 days, 20:25,  1 user,  load average: 2.06, 2.10, 2.01
[email protected]:~# uname -a
Linux server-pi 3.6.11+ #371 PREEMPT Thu Feb 7 16:31:35 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
[email protected]:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
[email protected]:~# 

xbmcnut

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Accidental double up...whoops.
Last edited by xbmcnut on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xbmcnut

Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:19 pm

I build XBMC kits here in NZ using the Raspberry Pi based on Xbian and after recent customer feedback, we've stopped supplying them with RTL8188CUS based WiFi adapters like the Edimax, Comcast, EDUP and countless others due to buffering and speed issues. Of course, media streaming is pretty demanding so if you're not doing that, you may still be fine? We've now switched to the TP-Link TL-WN721N based on the Atheros AR9271 chipset which are still very affordable http://r.ebay.com/p2Dail.

We did some internal testing and here are the results:
50Mb http download using wget from the Internet:
Ethernet: 235k/s
Edimax EW-7811Un: 190k/s
TP-Link TL-WN721N: 1.10M/s
(all performed within 10m of one another)

145Mb FTP download using wget from NAS on LAN
Ethernet: 26 seconds to complete
Edimax EW-7811Un: 78 seconds to complete
TP-Link TL-WN721N: 42 seconds to complete

As you can see, the TP-Link TL-WN721N is significantly faster than the Edimax unit. Although it is physically larger, it has the advantage of being supplied with a short USB extension cable which would allow you to orientate it for the best performance.

P.S Xbian 1.0.5a natively supports the TP-Link TL-WN721N.

xbmcnut

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:02 am

Just tested the TP-Link TL-WN721N in Wheezy 2013-05-25 and it is natively supported there too.

mtn

Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi all, I have just set up my Pi for the first time with a fresh install of Wheezy and full apt-get upgrade. I have a USB wireless adaptor that seems to work fine to connect to my wireless router. I'm trying to set it up as a WiFi access point (AP) using this tutorial: http://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-a- ... reparation I get to the testing part and it fails with the error below. I'm wondering if I'm right in thinking that if it works to connect to WiFi it should also work as an AP - or is this not the case? Could it work to browse the internet etc but not work to accept connecting as an AP? Any help would be much appreciated, Mike

Terminal out put and error message:

sudo /usr/sbin/hostapd /etchostapd/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /etchostapd/hostapd.conf
drv->ifindex=3
l2_sock_recv==l2_sock_xmit=0x0x1a59638
ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Invalid argument
Could not set interface to mode (3)!
Could not set interface to master mode!
rtl871xdrv driver initialization failed.
[email protected] ~$

pluggy

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:04 pm

pluggy wrote:Since Icetech have stopped selling the one posted and Comfast seem to be selling a different design now, I've ordered one of the new ones for evaluation purposes. It may not work out of the box, may even have one of these RTL8188EU chipsets.

Still cheap.
Been away on my hols, this was awaiting my return. The new 'Ice-itech' Comfast cheapie has jumped ship and now uses that other Stalwart of cheap Wifi chipsets : the Ralink RT5370. Still works out of the box with the Pi, but its not a RTL 8188 CUS any more. The change makes it a cheap WiPi

ahstwin

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:04 pm

pluggy wrote:
pluggy wrote:Since Icetech have stopped selling the one posted and Comfast seem to be selling a different design now, I've ordered one of the new ones for evaluation purposes. It may not work out of the box, may even have one of these RTL8188EU chipsets.

Still cheap.
Been away on my hols, this was awaiting my return. The new 'Ice-itech' Comfast cheapie has jumped ship and now uses that other Stalwart of cheap Wifi chipsets : the Ralink RT5370. Still works out of the box with the Pi, but its not a RTL 8188 CUS any more. The change makes it a cheap WiPi

to clarify, will the rt5370 still work out of the box with thew new raspbian?

pluggy

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Yes

mripah

Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:09 pm

Edimax EW-7811UN works like a charm for me as well.

Petolone

Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi,
While once again googling for a cure to my rpi wifi woes, I happened to land at this thread.

So what I take from here is that many of you are telling that both RA5370 based dobgles and Edimax ew-7811un (and those with the san chipset) work just fine with the current wheezy.

According to my experience this is not the case:
I tried first one RA5370 based dongle, got it running easily, but after few minutes the connection was lost. I also found out that tehe connection was patchy already before loosing it i.e. With a ssh connection to rpi, characters were missed from keyboard input etc. I broad this dongle back and ordered an Edimax ew-7811un dongle from amazon as I expected that to work just fine.
Now after receiving the new dongle I'm suffering from exactly the same issue: my rpi connects to my AP easily (using only 2m distance), but after a short while the connection is lost. Some times it even seems that the whole device hangs i.e. I cannot login even if I connect the ethernet cable.

I have tried to rule out any potential power supply issues by
- trying apple ipad 2.2A usb power => no cure
- testing both with and without an active hub between rpi and dongle => no cure. If any, it even seems that I may not at all get connected when using the active usb hub (d-link DUB-H4) (!)

I have also extensively tried to play with /etc/network/interfaces settings i.e. To connect with/without wpa_supplicant etc. As the rpi anyway initially connects with my AP, I doubt there should be anything fundamentally wrong with these settins, right?

Anybody having similar experiences? Any suggestions?

Br,
Pertti :shock:

wmsundell

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi, just for experience of wifi dongles, I have purchased two WiPi dongles and worked real well until they burned out. For some reason these got warm when I did a lot of web use. Yes, I used a powered USB hub by Belkin and is 5 volt. So, I purchased two Ourlink wifi dongles and are in use now. The raspberry pi, two of them, a model A and model B, both had no problem addressing to the web via Raspbain OS. The Ourlink dongles were from Newark Element 14 and are not the mini ones, these are about the size of standard thumb drive dongles. I got lucky to have these specific dongles. So, just a suggestion, if anyone has problems of dongles stopping working or burn out I would get these Ourlink ones. These seem to be quite rugged.

Bill Sundell

wmsundell

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:29 am

Pertti,
Since I am not a intelligent geek in these Rpi's, I can suggest a hint or two, when using the USB hub, make sure it is a powered one, at 5 volts only, most of them provide 500mA each port. Don't use a non-powered USB hub due to that it would be only powered by the Rpi's power supply. When I first got these Rpis, I only used Raspbain Wheezy OS and did not have any problem getting on line. The only thing I had to do was key in the hotspot name and its password to connect, in example, Verizon-xxxx-xxxx and the 8 character password. You should not have to do anything else. If you have problems then the next hint would be to upgrade to the latest Raspbain Wheezy OS build on this site.

Bill

Return to “Beginners”