Nannerman

Moving all "sudo apt-get install"-ed files

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:49 am

I just used "sudo apt-get install geany" to download Geany.

I'm starting to get a bit tight on space on my SD card (should've gotten an 8gb) so I would like to move the files I downloaded to my USB drive.
I used the find command in the terminal, and I guess the Geany files are all over the place in my /usr directory.
Is there any way to group all of the Geany files I just downloaded and move them to my usb drive?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I can't find an answer.

Thanks

hexelpdkk

Re: Moving all "sudo apt-get install"-ed files

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:59 am

Not dumb, just difficult to make geany usable afterwards. Personally I would just use "apt-get remove geany" for now, and get the bigger card. However, "dpkg -L geany" should give you the list of installed files. However, if you move them, they will no longer be on your path, menu items won't point to the right things, library objects will be in the wrong place, and probably a few other things that I have forgotten.

SirLagz

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:51 am

Alternatively, grab a USB drive, format it as ext4, copy everything to the USB drive and preserve the permissions, mount the USB drive as root by changing fstab and changing the config.txt file.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

Nannerman

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:11 pm

Okay, I'll get a new SD card like hexelpdkk said. Dealing with using an old usb for memory seems like more work than its actually worth.
SirLagz wrote:Alternatively, grab a USB drive, format it as ext4, copy everything to the USB drive and preserve the permissions, mount the USB drive as root by changing fstab and changing the config.txt file.
Until I get a new SD, I think I might try this. I don't really have a reason not to.

Thanks for the advice

Return to “Beginners”