gdw35

XBMC stole my desktop. Help!

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:04 am

I have spent the day installing and setting up my Pi the way I wanted it. I am running Raspbian and have setup apache2, PHP and mySQL so that I can use it as a web server to test the web applications I am working on in my Uni course. This afternoon I also installed XBMC. This was working just fine, the keyboard and mouse was working in XMBC and I was able to stream a video from my NAS, until I selected Exit from the XBMC menu and was left with a black screen that stayed. After half an hour the black screen was still there and remote logging in via ssh I could see that there were 4 xbmc.bin processes running and consuming lots of CPU. At this point I forced a reboot.

After the reboot my desktop came back and everything else appeared to be working fine.

I was about to shutdown but decided to select logout instead. This brought up a login screen with an option menu to select environment to login. I noticed that XBMC was a new option at the login screen so I thought I would try that. Initially I was excited to see that this logged me in straight to XBMC. My excitement was short lived when I discovered that my keyboard and mouse no longer worked. I had to remote login via ssh to shut the system down.

Now whenever I boot my Pi it boots straight into XBMC.

Can someone please tell me how I get my desktop back (i.e. boot to the desktop and not XBMC)?

Also, once I start XBMC from the desktop is there a way to exit it normally?

gdw35

Re: XBMC stole my desktop. Help!

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:07 am

OK. I fixed my problem.

I had to login via SSH from my laptop and edit the .dmrc file in the home directory of user 'pi'. The default desktop had been set to XBMC. I changed this back to LXDE and rebooted and things went back to normal.

What would be nice is if it was possible to have a logout option with XBMC so that I could switch between the two environments by simply logging out and logging back in with the selected environment I want from the login screen. Is this possible?

In the meantime I will just run XBMC from my desktop and avoid logging out.

Return to “Beginners”