Portnoy2013

SD How much is enough?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:01 am

Hello,

newbie to pi in USA. just ordered model B and have a couple weeks to sort out SD cards as it is back ordered.

reviewed this forum and "which peripheral" and do not see any comments on big enough or too big SD cards. Minimum really doesn't mean much if you can't do anything beyond loading the OS. one article said web browsing was "extremely slow" w 2G card. would bigger be better?

did see last year's conversation about Class 10s being no faster than Class 4 and also some on overclocking and making sure OS is updated after preparing card. hope that all works itself out as i move along....

have no specific job planned for pi at this time tho could use a wifi printer server. don't see that as a memory hog but what about video streaming?

when would a 64G card be better vs a 4G? don't mind investing for value but don't want to double price of computer for same performance.

is there an optimum size SD and USB mix? Is SD performance the same as USB?

appreciate your comments on this topic. thank you.

Snailface

Re: SD How much is enough?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:31 am

I would recommend a 4GB card if you don't plan on using the Pi as a primary computer or media player (games or movies). The reason being is that it makes backing up your card a lot faster and easier.

Personal experience here trying out a 16 GB card.
(and, oh yeah, I can vouch for a class10 card being a trivial improvement as well)

technion

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:33 am

Linux isn't anything like Windows, in that it won't slow to a crawl just because it's only got 2GB disk space available.

I bought a 4GB card, and with all my applications loaded, I can just git under 3GB.

Now, I have no media or data held on my SD card. I have however, accidentally run it to 0b remaining, and, other than an inability to save new files - performance does not degrade one but.

gelfling6
Location: Canton, Connecticut, USA, Planet Earth, SOL-3, Milkyway Galaxy, 3rd star on the left...

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:57 pm

technion wrote:Linux isn't anything like Windows, in that it won't slow to a crawl just because it's only got 2GB disk space available.

I bought a 4GB card, and with all my applications loaded, I can just git under 3GB.

Now, I have no media or data held on my SD card. I have however, accidentally run it to 0b remaining, and, other than an inability to save new files - performance does not degrade one but.
I still don't know how I did it, but using a 32GB card, I managed to run it to 0b.. or.. at least it was complaining 'no more free space' , when doing apt-get upgrades trying to write the man pages. :?

I am curious, Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong, but when I plug the card into a linux laptop or desktop, even though I told it to expand to fill the free space, It does only seem to take-up only about 2-3G.. I'll have to take a closer look.. Also, has anyone else run into a missing SUDO privledges under the new Feb-9 release of Raspbian? Just dropped back 2 versions, because there was no way to access the it.. Very odd... (or, something didn't get transferred with the download.)

Return to “Beginners”