KRIS537

SD Card and USB advice please.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 pm

I hope this is in the right area.

I have my RPi now, i'm planning on using it as a minecraft server for approx 2-3 people. But I want to make sure I can maximise perforamce of the RPi. I see few people like the kingston 8gb but from the post i see it only operates at 30mb/s. Now i have found a SANDISK Extreme Pro Class 10 SDHC Memory Card that offers 95mb/s, on paper i can see its faster but will it improve the RPi performace.

Or would it be best to buy a SD card with 30-40mb/s speed and use a USB memory stick?

Your advice would be great.

mcornelia

Re: SD Card and USB advice please.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:41 pm

+1 this question.

I ordered a high speed class 10 SDHC too - 45mb/s read and write. Thinking that the slower cards would bottleneck performance. But a colleague of mine said that the SOC (System On a Chip) would probably be a bigger bottleneck and we should stick to a cheaper (slower) card. Looking to purchase many of these for a future project, so every dollar will count.

While I'm sure the answer depends on how much disk I/O you're doing; but as far as the general system architecture and OS is concerned - do high speed SDHC cards make a noticeable difference in overall performance and user experience?

Cheers,
Mike

zyro70

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi new here. Been lurking around, plan on buying a Rasberry pi soon and was looking for maximum read/write speeds.

I read http://mymediaexperience.com/raspberry- ... h-raspbmc/ which says that the USB port is actually faster to use than the SD card slot. What do you guys think? Has anybody tested this?

mcornelia

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:39 pm

That's interesting (USB stick faster than a class 10 SD card). Anyone out there have any specs on this?

RaTTuS

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:45 pm

I would use a small SD card [2Gb even]
and then put the rootfs on a HD [2.5" mechanical drive ]
or a usbstick [prefer the HD]
that way you get the random access read/write of a hard disk ...

but that's IMO only
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “Beginners”