BMardle

4 Bugs

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Sorry if I should have posted this as 4 messages... on in 'troubleshooting' or 'Debian'... but I am a new user! (Of the forum and the RPi, anyway!)

I bought an RPi from Maplin a few days ago and, out of the box, it seems to have some software bugs that I'd like help with:

1) There's an icon 'Python Games'. If I click on that I get a menu of games. Depending on which game I select either a) it immediately quits, b) it works but with no sound, or c) it hangs.
For a while I thought I might have a hardware problem with the sound, but Scratch gave me a meow and `aplay` works... until I click on Python Games and select the first game. Then if I try `aplay` it hangs and can't be kill'd, term'd or hup'd!
Solutions?

2) There's a ScreenLock icon near the bottom-right of the desktop but it doesn't work.
As far as I can tell, it runs /usr/share/applications/lxde-logout.desktop,
which runs /usr/bin/lxlock, which tries to run xscreensaver-command,
gnome-screensaver-command, slock and xlock, none of which are present.
Which (if any) of those are supposed to be present? Or is there another solution?

3) Neither the console nor LXTerminal beep when printing an ASCII BEL (control-G). For one thing, this makes bash's name completion confusing. I've spent many weary hours trying to find a solution to this on the Web and all I've discovered is that some people hate beeps... so maybe this is deliberate!
Solutions?

4) When I first turned the RPi on it asked whether I wanted ctrl-alt-del to end the X server. I said 'yes' and it doesn't. (ctrl-alt-left del opens task manager. ctrl-alt-numpad del does nothing.) I've had the X server hang while I was trying to solve problem 1) so this would have been useful.
Is there a way to get this to work?

I'm not a complete Linux noob: I used Debian 1.3(!) a lot for some years from 1999 and Debian 5.0 briefly a couple of years ago. (Incidentally, Deb5 has no problems beeping.)

Any help gratefully appreciated.
Bruce Mardle. "You know I yearn for a simpler time of barn dances and buggy rides before life was cheapened by heartless machines."

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 4 Bugs

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:23 pm

I wonder if the SD card that they ship with has the most up to date image of Raspbian on it?
I'd wager not... probably best to update the SD card to the latest image and see if that fixes any of these.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

bgreat

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:46 pm

BMardle wrote: 4) When I first turned the RPi on it asked whether I wanted ctrl-alt-del to end the X server. I said 'yes' and it doesn't. (ctrl-alt-left del opens task manager. ctrl-alt-numpad del does nothing.) I've had the X server hang while I was trying to solve problem 1) so this would have been useful.
Is there a way to get this to work?
The option is for Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to terminate the X server.

Enjoy!
Bill

BMardle

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:03 pm

D'oh! Thanks, Bill. ctrl-alt-bs does sound familiar now you mention it! It works, anyway!
1 down 3 to go :)

Davespice, when I log in I get:
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 10 19:03:02 BST armv6l
I'll try a new Raspbian but I might have to search out the things I've already changed first, so this could take Some Time. (I really should have made notes of what I changed as I went along, I know.)
Or... I could back my SD card up, install a new image and go back to Maplin's if nece. afterwards.
Bruce Mardle. "You know I yearn for a simpler time of barn dances and buggy rides before life was cheapened by heartless machines."

BMardle

Re: 3 Bugs (was 4 Bugs :-) )

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 pm

I've installed 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian.
Still no beep or ScreenLock.
I think the sound-from-Python-games thing has got a bit better: the games all run and, with sound through the jack socket, I get a click when most of them start and another click when they exit. The games don't upset aplay, either.

BMardle

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:08 pm

Got myself a screenlock: installed package suckless-utils, which provides slock, though it couldn't be more minimal: it just blanks the screen until you enter your password. It doesn't even prompt you or say which username!

(Incidentally, package away contains a locker that only locks on text terminals; no use under X.)

cjw43

apt-get update bugs

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:37 pm

There must be a better place to post this, but I've found no Bug Tracker for the Raspi.

Here are two Raspbian related problems:

apt-get update updates many packages, but it fails with two ARM related problems: Colin W.

DirkS

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:49 pm

There must be a better place to post this, but I've found no Bug Tracker for the Raspi.
Yes. First of all: don't tag on to an existing topic; start your own. Much better chance of getting answers.

And I would post this in the Troubleshooting or Raspbian section...

Gr.
Dirk.

BMardle

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Me again.
I'm still poking around, trying to get my Pi to beep.
No success so far but I've found a tweak that makes bash slightly less confusing to use.
If you put "set bell-style visible" in ~/.inputrc (which doesn't exist by default) the window or screen will go "reverse video" briefly when the Pi should have beeped. (For the console this seems to be for a fraction of a frame, so the effect is rather random and sometimes unnoticeable.)
(Uncommenting the same line in /etc/inputrc will set the default for logins without a ~/.inputrc)

BMardle

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:09 pm

... and with emacs I can get a similar effect with (setq visible-bell t).

Return to “Beginners”