drapacioli

How to install stuff?

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:03 am

This is a really stupid question but how do I install stuff on Raspbian? I tried downloading a flash plugin and the Chrome browser because I don't like the Midori browser that comes with the Raspbian OS. I'm a windows user and I've used Ubuntu ONCE before, but then I remember an application portal I could use to browse programs and click a button to install them.

I tried just double clicking the file once I downloaded it and it didn't work, then I realized it .tar.gz was an archive file so I tried extracting it and it didn't work, and then I did some poking around to see if I could google my way out of my issue and saw there was a terminal command called sudo apt-get install that would install packages but I couldnt' figure out how to get that working either (No matter what I typed it always said it couldnt' find the package). I don't get it, how hard is it to simply install a new program?

Also, completely unrelated but I'm particularly married to the window snap feature on Windows 7 (How you can grab the title bar of a window and it'll pop out of place when maximized, then you can move it or snap it to either side of the screen and it would automatically fill half the screen). Is there any way to get that on Raspbian too, or something similar? I keep trying to do that when running two windows and it's annoying to have to manually resize them.

BTW, I'm not actually on a Raspberry Pi. I downloaded the OS and i'm currently running it in a virtual machine (Oracle VM VirtualBox). Not sure if that makes a difference but I figured I've give full disclosure on that in case it does.

drapacioli

Re: How to install stuff?

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:43 am

I also tried this, but got a "no such file or directory" error, even though I was in the proper folder when I did the command and the file name matches what I typed:

sudo dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb

pluggy

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:08 am

There is no flash plugin for non x86 processors on Linux - at least not from Adobe. The same goes for Chrome. There is Gnash which is an open source 'Flash' although in my experience its not very good. An alternative to Chrome is the open source variant Chromium although its slow on the Pi. Both are available from the repositories via apt-get.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

drapacioli

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:30 am

I see, so the 386 in the filename refers to the x86 processors? Good to know. Thanks for the info. I was able to get gnash installed, but it listed several errors in the procss for Hash sum mismatches and 404 errors at the end.

pluggy

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:40 am

use

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
before you start.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

RobHenry

Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:02 pm

sudo apt-get install stuff

Would install an application called stuff

apt-cache search stuff

Would list applications in the repository with names like stuff.

As mentioned above, use sudo apt-get update before you start or you may find the install fails.

Spid

Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Raspbian has an installable Synaptic Package Manager which is used to install software, this may be of help

http://debianarmpi.blogspot.co.uk

As an aside you need to forget the Windoze way of doing things, Linux takes a more basic approach to achieve a better result !
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

pelop

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:20 pm

sudo apt-get install (the name of the thing you wan to install)
for the tar.gz file dont worry. You have to extract it with the commond
tar -zxvf {file.tar.gz}
:ugeek:

dextrus

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Is your (virtual) Raspberry Pi connected to the internet?

I'm in the process of writing instructions for installing packages "manually", but boy has it made me appreciate apt-get!

/Dextrus
Have more FUN with your Pi. Visit www.pi-fun.com

ts16

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi
I'm a windows user with little experience of linux.
I've used apt-get to install abiword just as a practice of downloading a new program and it seemed to download. But now what? Where is it? How do I run the program? How do I put a shortcut onto the desktop?

Thanks for any help.

Tom

ghans

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 pm

If you are on the desktop , it should be in the start menu.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Cloudcentric

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:46 pm

ts16 wrote:Hi
I've used apt-get to install abiword just as a practice of downloading a new program and it seemed to download. But now what? Where is it? How do I run the program? How do I put a shortcut onto the desktop?

Thanks for any help.

Tom
I do not understand why people Hijack some one else's thread, especially when this information can be found by using the SEARCH function, anway look at the link posted above which is related to Raspbian "wheezy":

http://debianarmpi.blogspot.co.uk
I know everything about nothing"

ts16

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:55 pm

It seems I've done something wrong and upset cloudcentric. I thought Forums were about helping people and I’ve got a problem with installing stuff so this thread seemed the best place to start. Perhaps I’m wrong. Perhaps cloudcentric could explain the etiquette for using a forum or direct me to where such details exist. Perhaps I’ll just not bother in future.
Tom

Cloudcentric

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:05 pm

If do not like my reply report it.

The thread was started by drapacioli regards installing Chromium and Flash.

You have not advanced resolving the issue, instead you are asking a question, on an admittedly tenuously related topic.

Therefore if drapacioli returns to this thread in say a day or two or weeks time he will be confused as some one else is answering a different question from his original post, this time about Abiword.

In my opinion would call that thread Hijacking period......................

Hi

Thanks for any help.

Tom

ghans

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:19 pm

dpkg -L abiword
should hint where abiword is installed to and how its called.
Usually the main executable bears no extension (like .exe) and
is located in a "bin" directory.

Now enter the full path in a LXTerminal :

/path/to/bin/executablename &
The & puts the application to the background.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

RobHenry

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Cloudcentric wrote: The thread was started by drapacioli regards installing Chromium and Flash.
This thread was started by drapcaioli regarding how to install stuff. The clue is in the subject line.
Cloudcentric wrote:
You have not advanced resolving the issue, instead you are asking a question, on an admittedly tenuously related topic.

Therefore if drapacioli returns to this thread in say a day or two or weeks time he will be confused as some one else is answering a different question from his original post, this time about Abiword.
His immediate issue appears to be resolved. He might be confused, or he might be pleased that the thread he started has developed and answered some questions that he hadn't yet got round to asking. You can only speculate about how other people may feel.
Cloudcentric wrote:
In my opinion would call that thread Hijacking period......................
Oh dear, thread Hijacking [sic], strictly forbidden. What about abusing and upsetting new subscribers? Is that worse than thread-jacking?

Tom - sorry about this chap, you will get more friendly and helpful responses from other people on this forum.

Completely off topic, and I'm sorry about that, but I hate the tone taken by cc and think it is totally out of order. I will not contribute further to this thread. Full stop.

Cloudcentric

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:28 pm

WHATEVER

Return to “Beginners”