mannock

1080p?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:21 am

I am trying to do one thing at time and go on to the next only when I have got the first sorted completely.
Now, after about a month of tinkering, searching, asking questions etc I am nearly at the first stage which is setting my screen resolution. (my pi was a kit so all the basics were there, just plugged it in) incidentally, rather than a £22 computer, after adding cables, case, usb hub there was not much change from £100 :=(
anyway, I had been trying different overscan figures and eventually got the full screen, but the actual resolution was still only 1842x1027. disabling overscan was too big and unusable but at least the res is correct for my telly, 1920x1080. So how do I get this shrunk down a bit without using overscan, assuming that using overscan would defeat disabling it and losing the correct res. seems like catch 22 to me. With overscan disabled, I've tried setting the hdmi group to 1, mode to 16, and drive to 2, without success.
what would be nice here is to have a real absolute beginners forum, where instead of being advised to 'run raspi config' the advice would be something like 'open the terminal, type in 'sudo nano /boot/config.txt' and press enter' , followed by how to edit the file and save it. Even saving the changes can be a pain, I have to close the file and go through the rigmarole of it asking if I want to save etc etc. the shortcut keys just don't work.
Is it just me? Can't believe it, but be honest!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: 1080p?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:20 pm

mannock wrote:I am trying to do one thing at time and go on to the next only when I have got the first sorted completely.
Now, after about a month of tinkering, searching, asking questions etc I am nearly at the first stage which is setting my screen resolution. (my pi was a kit so all the basics were there, just plugged it in) incidentally, rather than a £22 computer, after adding cables, case, usb hub there was not much change from £100 :=(
anyway, I had been trying different overscan figures and eventually got the full screen, but the actual resolution was still only 1842x1027. disabling overscan was too big and unusable but at least the res is correct for my telly, 1920x1080. So how do I get this shrunk down a bit without using overscan, assuming that using overscan would defeat disabling it and losing the correct res. seems like catch 22 to me. With overscan disabled, I've tried setting the hdmi group to 1, mode to 16, and drive to 2, without success.
what would be nice here is to have a real absolute beginners forum, where instead of being advised to 'run raspi config' the advice would be something like 'open the terminal, type in 'sudo nano /boot/config.txt' and press enter' , followed by how to edit the file and save it. Even saving the changes can be a pain, I have to close the file and go through the rigmarole of it asking if I want to save etc etc. the shortcut keys just don't work.
Is it just me? Can't believe it, but be honest!
Are you seriously saying that cables, case and hub totalled up to >£70? I would have thought £30 at the most.

As to the rest of your points, yes, Linux can be a struggle at times, and the documentation resource is getting larger all the time.

Overscan: can you change the overscan settings on your TV at all? If you can turn them off that might help.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Spid

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Raspberry Pi £30.00

USB Mouse & Keyboard £10.00

Ethernet Ethernet & HDMI to DVi Cable & USB poewerd HUB & PSU & Case £25.00

New but old stock 19" Widescreen Monitor £40.00

All brand new and change from £110.00

Using second hand and begging for bits could of save a few £££££s
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

Jim JKla

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:59 pm

OK James
He is right if you don't have anything except a TV and with only the "B" available the current kit currently available from Maplins at http://www.maplin.co.uk/raspberry-piand ... kit-652805 £74.99 is a reasonable price.

Also this does not include a PSU for the USB Hub (I asked at our local shop) and also does not include an SD card reader.

OK you can get lots of this stuff very cheap but you are going to find kit's out there circa £100 particularly if you were to buy cables and the like at market prices.

A lot of us geeks have Keyboards and Mice and cables and USB hubs lying around oh and that does not include a case.

Now back to the OP.

I do know what is meant by the need for Noob standard notes and that is being worked on.

The RPi as it exists is the Pre-Educational release if it had not been for the intense hobbyist interest there would probably have been a limited number of geeks like me trying to pave the way for the noobs we are about to see.

As it is the said intense hobbyist interest has made the problem solving a darn sight easier.

So mannoc don't feel agrieved there are loads of us working on all of the problems you could think of raising.

Specificly there's a bunch of us working on making an SD image that will handle anything the Noob will need to solve. ;)
Last edited by Jim JKla on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Spid

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:00 pm

Regards configuration see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

Regards a Wiki see http://elinux.org/RPi_Hub
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !

Jim JKla

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

yakko TDI

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Jim JKla wrote:Eben's book is also a good source.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-User- ... 633&sr=8-6
I will agree the book is great. I am not a complete n00b (only about 80%) but I still found this helpful as my 42 'TV' needs overscan help using HDMI.

mannock

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:44 pm

thanks for the feedback folks, I am sure there are many thousands of noobs like me who have to start from scratch, and after all, one of the main reasons for the pi's existence is surely to start noobs off?
At the moment it is more likely to actually put us off as it is such hard work doing simple things. It is not just windows and mac pc's which just 'work', many linux distros do as well, I've installed several just out of curiosity and they get to the desktop from a new install without any messing about with command line at all, so I am a little disappointed to have to strugge so much with the pi. As for the price, yes, all told, buying decent stuff, it was nearly £100, for which I could have easily bought an old pc and put linux on it, except maybe without the options to use it with the interface to do projects. But I want to keep at it and achieve something even if it takes me months, so I've read all the posts about config.txt and can't get my head around what I'm doing wrong. I've resorted to constantly experimenting with config settings in the hope of getting lucky. I don't see the point in going to the next stage until this one is right.

Return to “Beginners”