rasprm3

Fastest, "best" SD card for Raspian Wheezy?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:00 pm

I'm looking for a Class 10 SD card, 8 or 16 GB for a Raspberry Pi purchase. I'll put Raspbian Wheezy on it.

I *think* that's what I'm looking for. Someone gave me a link to a chart showing different SD cards and what worked or didn't. I'm looking for more input, if someone or several someones out there are all using a certain Class 10 SD without problems.

Or, it might be the case where, yes, Class 10 is rated the fastest, but in reality a Class 6 card gets better, faster results on Raspbian Wheezy.

So what's good, the best for Class 10? Or maybe there's a Calss 6 card out there that's extremely solid while Class 10 cards are more finicky.

abishur

Re: Fastest, "best" SD card for Raspian Wheezy?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:09 pm

The list they showed up (probably at elinux) is woefully out of date in my opinion. It just about needs to be scrapped and made fresh with the latest builds as a testing environment as many of the "bad" sd cards work now as various things have been tweaked... but that's neither here nor there ;-)

If you look at this thread

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =63&t=4076

you can see benchmarks for a slew of SD cards. One thing to keep in mind is that the "10" part of a "class 10" SD card is referring to write speed, rather than read speed. It would be a good idea to consider your end use of the pi and figure out which you'll be doing more of writting to the card or reading from it, and choose a card that best meets this need :-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

cmatthews

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:20 pm

I am using the following 16Gb Class 10 card and have found it to be very reliable. Cant say whether it is fast or not but it is perfectly usable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-16GB- ... 902&sr=8-2
www.mydominion.co.uk

kevin34ct

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:23 pm

I have an 8GB class 10 card from Staples. It only cost $30 (US) and it's pretty fast in my opinion.

rasprm3

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:01 am

Any thoughts on this one?

SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s SDSDXPA-016G-X46
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LF ... rt_title_1

It's more than I wanted to spend, twice as much really, but that might future proof it a little.

The error correcting looks nice. If that makes it more stable I wouldn't mind that.

Nr90

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:09 am

I have one of those in 32 gb.
Works nicely.

rasprm3

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:30 am

What do you do with all that space?

Does it have good read/write times for sure?

vincewebb

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:02 am

I have several different makes of Class 10 SD card working with the pi. Some are familiar brands, others nobody ever heard of.

I've not done any performance comparisons, they all worked OK for me.

yakko TDI

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:24 pm

rasprm3 wrote:Any thoughts on this one?

SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s SDSDXPA-016G-X46
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LF ... rt_title_1

It's more than I wanted to spend, twice as much really, but that might future proof it a little.

The error correcting looks nice. If that makes it more stable I wouldn't mind that.
A friend and I both use this card with no issues. He has it on a 256mb Model B and I have one on a 256mb and one a 512 Model B. It is also cheaper than the one you linked to even without the discount.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220452

Before anyone asks, no I have not found a need for all that storage but I am sure I will one day.

dextrus

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm afraid there is no "right" answer. It depends on what you want to use it for.

The one thing I have seen, after testing over a dozen cards now, is the difference in random Write speed. Most cards are slow at this, but some (an example being a Sandisk Ultra class 10) is 3,000 times faster than most others. This same card however, is slow (comparatively) at reading contiguous data (just above 10mbs). A much cheaper class 4 Kingston can read just as fast (almost), and write data at half the speed.. but for random writes, it's thousands of times slower.. but it's much cheaper.

In day-to-day operation, if you're not a developer (lots of random reads and writes) and a mostly a consumer, any branded class 4 card will be fine. If you want to record HD tv in XBMC, choose one with a fast contiguous write speed (Transcend as mentioned before is a good one for that).

If you have a specific need, do more research. Other than that, buy a branded not-from-ebay class 4, or for large storage needs, a class 10.

/Dextrus
Have more FUN with your Pi. Visit www.pi-fun.com

rasprm3

Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:39 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LF ... UTF8&psc=1

That's the SD card I got.

Raspberry Pi came in yesterday. Today I set it up. Seems to be working fine with this SD card. It's fast enough. I really doubt I'll mess with testing the SD card for speed. It seems fine. Someone told me the cpu is what's slowing things down. Updates took... maybe 30 minutes. It's a Raspberry Pi though. I wasn't expecting massive processing.

Thumbs up for this SD card I guess.

I've got a Raspberry Pi model B with the basic Raspbian Wheezy installed.

Size-wise after I expanded it, there was 14.3GB left. That was before I did the update/upgrade on Raspbian though.

Return to “Beginners”