Janio

Need help with configuration of the keyboard

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:06 am

Hi, not sure if this is the right place for my question but I just got my kit that comes with everything and the symbols above the keys on the keyboard are all mixed up and none contain the pound sign which I sort of need to write code. Can anyone help me with this? Sorry if this is in the wrong place

mastapat

Re: Need help with configuration of the keyboard

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:26 am

on command line use:

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
from there change the keyboard layout to a US kb after selecting the model
then change the local to en_US.UTF-8.
reboot then all should be well

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:19 pm

The Pi comes with the UK keyboard layout as default - that's not "all messed up"! It's an easy fix, as mentioned above.

(Non US-readers: OP is referring to the # key, which Americans call the pound sign. Brits call one of these £ a pound sign, and it's the source of endless confusion on automated phone calls.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:31 am

liz wrote:The Pi comes with the UK keyboard layout as default - that's not "all messed up"! It's an easy fix, as mentioned above.

(Non US-readers: OP is referring to the # key, which Americans call the pound sign. Brits call one of these £ a pound sign, and it's the source of endless confusion on automated phone calls.)
AT&T tried to fix tht by calling the "#" symbol an "octothorp". Many people call it "sharp". Can we agree that we're talking about shift-3?

HBrydon

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:02 am

Its actually worse than that. A wikipedia article at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign> spells out a bit of the story, but the British pound sign, the octothorpe (alias octatherp alias hash) and the sharp symbol are 3 distinct symbols, all of which are called or miscalled "pound" and the octothorpe also incorrectly called "sharp" (nowadays largely because of C# - thanks Microsoft). The octothorpe is also on telephone touch tone keypads (predating C# by decades) and I grew up incorrectly calling it the "pound key" (the same way the asterisk key is called "star" on bank and customer support recordings).

Janio

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:33 pm

liz wrote:The Pi comes with the UK keyboard layout as default - that's not "all messed up"! It's an easy fix, as mentioned above.

Relax, I said "mixed up".

Janio

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:38 pm

mastapat wrote:on command line use:

sudo raspi-config
from there change the keyboard layout to a US kb after selecting the model
then change the local to en_US.UTF-8.
reboot then all should be well
Thank you so much. Worked like a charm.

billybangleballs

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm

I've always known it as the 'hash' key. #

SiriusHardware

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:23 pm

billybangleballs wrote:I've always known it as the 'hash' key. #
If you are British, this symbol (#) is usually called 'hash' and this symbol (£) is called pound, as it is the symbol for the British currency.

If you are American, this symbol (#) replaces this symbol (£) on shift-3 on your keyboard, but it is still called 'pound'.

Maybe we should call a high-powered international conference in Geneva - forget Climate Change and all that other trivial stuff - and thrash out a new, internationally acceptable and legally binding name for... ( #)

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 pm

I believe in telephony circles it is/was called "gate". That's what the guy who taught us how to use the new telephone system back in the 1990's called it anyway.

Using a US keyboard set to UK, # is not the problem (you'll find it next to Enter.) The problem is \ and |, both important keys for Linux, and both on the 102nd key between Z and left-shift, which the US keyboards don't have. That's why it's called a 101/102-key keyboard.

Pipedream

Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Just a post for noobs information really:

I bought one of these through amazon:
http://www.littlepi.org/shop/iridium-st ... -p-15.html

The keyboard it comes with is actually 99 key:
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/HK3900-2 ... 16962.html

Chosing 101 key seems to work ok.
US local
Right Alt can be used for AltGr
Right Cntl for the extra characters if needed.

Now i have important '\' and '|' keys as stated above by rurwin. The # used to be mapped to the key with '|' and '\' printed.

Thanks.

ubundom

Sat May 02, 2015 11:39 am

@pipedream and @rurwin: I am a user of both Linux (ubuntu 14.04LTS) and Windows (7 Pro v6.1). I'm about to embark upon Rpi. I too bought an HK3900 failing to remember to check about 101/102 and the all important ~#\| keys! Doh!

How, what and where do I need to tweak Windows to find the pipe | and backslash \ characters using the Left and Right Alt and Ctl keys?

kusti8

Sat May 02, 2015 2:55 pm

ubundom wrote:@pipedream and @rurwin: I am a user of both Linux (ubuntu 14.04LTS) and Windows (7 Pro v6.1). I'm about to embark upon Rpi. I too bought an HK3900 failing to remember to check about 101/102 and the all important ~#\| keys! Doh!

How, what and where do I need to tweak Windows to find the pipe | and backslash \ characters using the Left and Right Alt and Ctl keys?
I don't understand. Is the problem on Windows (in which case you should be asking on another forum) or on the raspberry pi where you can find the option when running:

sudo raspi-config
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “Beginners”