REsPawnz
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:49 am

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi MrEngman,

I tried a lot of things, but didn't get the wifi up like it should.
At last I bought an edimax (EW-7811UN) wifi adapter and it was up and running in seconds.
Don't know why, but it does. No workarounds or nothing.

conde
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:43 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Hello all,

I have the same problem that patrick31698 has. The only different is that I am using the compilation 3.12.35+ #730.

When try to connect the log report this error:

Code: Select all

Trying to associate with e0:91:53:5f:18:9c (SSID='WLAN_11' freq=2452 Mhz)
Association request to the driver failed
CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=e0:91:53:5f.18:9c reason=0
CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULT
WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
What can I do?
I am trying to connect to a wifi network encrypted with WPA2-AES.

Thank you very much.

MrEngman
Posts: 3859
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:50 pm

conde wrote:Hello all,

I have the same problem that patrick31698 has. The only different is that I am using the compilation 3.12.35+ #730.

When try to connect the log report this error:

Code: Select all

Trying to associate with e0:91:53:5f:18:9c (SSID='WLAN_11' freq=2452 Mhz)
Association request to the driver failed
CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=e0:91:53:5f.18:9c reason=0
CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULT
WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
What can I do?
I am trying to connect to a wifi network encrypted with WPA2-AES.

Thank you very much.
How have you configured your connection? Using file /etc/network/interfaces or using wpa_supplicant?

Can you provide a print out of the files?


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

oskars
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:23 am

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:19 pm

This thread is so confusing :D

I'm running Raspbian 3.18.7-v7+ #755 and just bought the WN725N.

Where can I find the correct drivers for this?

MrEngman
Posts: 3859
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:13 pm

oskars wrote:This thread is so confusing :D

I'm running Raspbian 3.18.7-v7+ #755 and just bought the WN725N.

Where can I find the correct drivers for this?
You could take a look here.

Otherwise you could run these commands to download and install the driver.

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
./install.sh
MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

erotavlas
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sun May 03, 2015 3:52 pm

Hi,
I have a TP-Link TL-WN725N adapter, but I do not know if it is the V1 or V2. However, I tried to install the latest driver following this thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62371 without success.
I have the following kernel

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux raspbian 3.18.5+ #748 PREEMPT Wed Feb 4 21:24:41 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux
and I tried with this

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20150130.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-20150130.tar.gz
./install.sh
Do you a suggestion?
Thank you

MrEngman
Posts: 3859
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sun May 03, 2015 6:07 pm

erotavlas wrote:Hi,
I have a TP-Link TL-WN725N adapter, but I do not know if it is the V1 or V2. However, I tried to install the latest driver following this thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62371 without success.
I have the following kernel

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux raspbian 3.18.5+ #748 PREEMPT Wed Feb 4 21:24:41 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux
and I tried with this

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20150130.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-20150130.tar.gz
./install.sh
Do you a suggestion?
Thank you
That is the right version of the driver for your version of raspbian. So what is the problem?

You can check if the wifi module works with this driver with command lsusb. It will show "ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp." for the version of module working with this driver.

When installing it did you get any errors running any of the commands? With the wifi module connected to the Pi does command lsmod show 8188eu or maybe r8188eu?

What does command ifconfig show?

Also what do you see when you use command

Code: Select all

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

erotavlas
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Mon May 04, 2015 8:43 am

Thank you for your fast reply. I did not experimented any error message during the installation of driver with ./install.sh
My lsusb output

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0a5c:21e8 Broadcom Corp. BCM20702A0 Bluetooth 4.0
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
and my lsmod output

Code: Select all

Module                  Size  Used by
bnep                   11433  2 
nfsd                  276617  2 
ecb                     2279  1 
btusb                  23104  0 
8188eu                709203  0 
bluetooth             320752  23 bnep,btusb
rfkill                 22347  2 bluetooth
uio_pdrv_genirq         3666  0 
uio                     9897  1 uio_pdrv_genirq
snd_bcm2835            21342  2 
snd_pcm                93100  1 snd_bcm2835
snd_timer              23007  1 snd_pcm
snd                    67211  7 snd_bcm2835,snd_timer,snd_pcm
fuse                   92121  3 
ipv6                  351566  49 
They seem ok, but if I type /sbin/ifconfig I get this

Code: Select all

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr b8:27:eb:13:ae:3f  
          inet addr:192.168.0.2  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::ba27:ebff:fe13:ae3f/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:7566 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:7723 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:1987777 (1.8 MiB)  TX bytes:1345039 (1.2 MiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:422662 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:422662 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:40819810 (38.9 MiB)  TX bytes:40819810 (38.9 MiB)
and with sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

Code: Select all

wlan0     No scan results
So there is no wifi interface. My current /etc/network/interfaces, should I modify it?

Code: Select all

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

MrEngman
Posts: 3859
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Mon May 04, 2015 10:53 am

You need to set up your /etc/network/interfaces file correctly to include the wifi interface configuration.

/etc/network/interfaces should look like

Code: Select all

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "network-name"
wpa-psk "network-password"
You will need to set network-name and network-password to the ones your network uses.

This format is for a network using WPA/WPA2 security. If your network uses a different security type you will need to change the last two lines.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

erotavlas
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Wed May 06, 2015 10:22 am

Thank you MrEngman as I supposed I have to modify the configuration files /etc/network/interfaces.
Now I discovered that there are two way to connect to WiFi network. The first is to modify the configuration file /etc/network/interfaces as you described in your previous post while the second is to use the WPA supplicant by changing the /etc/network/interfaces as

Code: Select all

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
and the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf as

Code: Select all

network={
    ssid="network-name"
    psk="network-password"
}
Where are the differences between them?

MrEngman
Posts: 3859
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Wed May 06, 2015 10:46 am

erotavlas wrote:Thank you MrEngman as I supposed I have to modify the configuration files /etc/network/interfaces.
Now I discovered that there are two way to connect to WiFi network. The first is to modify the configuration file /etc/network/interfaces as you described in your previous post while the second is to use the WPA supplicant by changing the /etc/network/interfaces as

Code: Select all

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
and the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf as

Code: Select all

network={
    ssid="network-name"
    psk="network-password"
}
Where are the differences between them?
Using wpa_supplicant can make it simpler to connect your wifi to many different wifi networks if you move around to different locations and take your Pi with you. It makes it possible to configure your wifi to connect to different access points without having to edit any files.

There are many different ways to configure the wifi connection. I prefer to just use /etc/network/interfaces.

To use wpa_supplicant there are also many ways to configure it. You should be able to connect your network using wpa_supplicant using the default format of the file /etc/network/interfaces which is like

Code: Select all

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
And then you can set up file wpa_supplicant.conf just like you have.

I do not use wpa_supplicant so I am not too familiar with how it works but using the way you have set up it would be possible to set it up to connect to different networks by adding new network{...} sections for each network you connect to and it will connect automatically. Using the default format for /etc/network/interfaces then wpa_supplicant can be configured to connect to different networks just the same but I believe you will need to manually select the network to connect to. As it says in the default /etc/network/interfaces
iface wlan0 inet manual
Personally I think the main difference is not so much how it is set up but how each person prefers to set up their wifi, and I prefer /etc/network/interfaces. :D


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

diefledermaus
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:48 pm

Okay so I have one of these wifi dongles. I followed the instructions doing the wget then I modified the install.sh as my raspbian is 3.18.11-v7+ and the install went fine did the reboot and my dongle is still dark.
the lsmod shows
____________________________________
lsmod
Module Size Used by
snd_bcm2835 18649 3
snd_pcm 73475 1 snd_bcm2835
snd_seq 53078 0
snd_seq_device 5628 1 snd_seq
snd_timer 17784 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd 51038 11 snd_bcm2835,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_seq_device
joydev 8879 0
cfg80211 386508 0
rfkill 16651 1 cfg80211
evdev 9950 4
uio_pdrv_genirq 2958 0
uio 8119 1 uio_pdrv_genirq
_________________________________________
So I am not seeing the realtek 8818eu

the lsusb shows

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

dmesg | more shows

3.518130] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[ 3.629397] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8179
[ 3.643737] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3.657296] usb 1-1.4: Product: 802.11n NIC
[ 3.667605] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: Realtek
[ 3.677966] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 00E04C0001

so I believe the right driver is installed. I believe I need to get this squared away before I tinker with /etc/network/interfaces

MrEngman
Posts: 3859
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:12 am

diefledermaus wrote:Okay so I have one of these wifi dongles. I followed the instructions doing the wget then I modified the install.sh as my raspbian is 3.18.11-v7+ and the install went fine did the reboot and my dongle is still dark.
the lsmod shows
____________________________________
lsmod
Module Size Used by
snd_bcm2835 18649 3
snd_pcm 73475 1 snd_bcm2835
snd_seq 53078 0
snd_seq_device 5628 1 snd_seq
snd_timer 17784 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd 51038 11 snd_bcm2835,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_seq_device
joydev 8879 0
cfg80211 386508 0
rfkill 16651 1 cfg80211
evdev 9950 4
uio_pdrv_genirq 2958 0
uio 8119 1 uio_pdrv_genirq
_________________________________________
So I am not seeing the realtek 8818eu

the lsusb shows

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

dmesg | more shows

3.518130] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[ 3.629397] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8179
[ 3.643737] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 3.657296] usb 1-1.4: Product: 802.11n NIC
[ 3.667605] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: Realtek
[ 3.677966] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 00E04C0001

so I believe the right driver is installed. I believe I need to get this squared away before I tinker with /etc/network/interfaces
What file did you download and why did you modify the file install.sh? You should not need to modify install.sh.

If you downloaded the right driver it will show in the list of loaded modules when you use command lsmod, but it does not so I expect you downloaded the wrong driver.

What does the complete output of command uname -a show so I can tell you which file to download and install?



MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

diefledermaus
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:08 am

I downloaded

8188eu-20150130.tar.gz

when it ran it tried to put it in

/lib/modules/3.18.5+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

I have
/lib/modules/3.18.11-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
thus the modification to the install.sh

the uname command produces
Linux raspberrypi 3.18.11-v7+ #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

the 20150130 is the only driver I came across and from my research the 8188eu looked to be the correct driver.

MrEngman
Posts: 3859
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:26 am

diefledermaus wrote:I downloaded

8188eu-20150130.tar.gz

when it ran it tried to put it in

/lib/modules/3.18.5+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

I have
/lib/modules/3.18.11-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
thus the modification to the install.sh

the uname command produces
Linux raspberrypi 3.18.11-v7+ #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

the 20150130 is the only driver I came across and from my research the 8188eu looked to be the correct driver.
If you look at the first post here viewtopic.php?p=462982#p462982 there is a complete list of drivers for all versions of raspbian.

The driver you need is 8188eu-v7-20150406.tar.gz so download and install it using commands

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-v7-20150406.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-v7-20150406.tar.gz
./install.sh
When installing my drivers do not edit the install.sh file. If you think you need to edit it then you have the wrong driver version.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

diefledermaus
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:53 am

your drivers are functional now but I am not picking up a DHCP address

ifconfig shows this.

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr c4:6e:1f:23:f0:ee
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

my /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "**********"
wpa-psk "********"

I have used both a hidden network and a non hidden one and so far nothing.

the etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

is empty.

Yes the ssid are correct yes the passwords are correct. yes I can get an ip on the ethernet via DHCP

all I have on the dongle is a steady green light.

sasadangelo
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:56 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi MrEngma,

I read the whole thread because I have same issue here (TP Link WN725N disconnect after a while).
TP Link WN725N connected to Raspberry 2 model B.
All the thread talk about linux kernel 3.x.x but last osmc version include 4.4.1 kernel.
uname -a returns:
Linux osmc 4.4.1-1-osmc #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 15 01:00:53 UTC 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

lsusb shows this:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1d57:ad02 Xenta SE340D PC Remote Control
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

At the moment I have connected my Raspberry with Ethernet in order to have a stable connection. I have also a IRC remote controlled attached to USB.

I tried also:
wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/802 ... 406.tar.gz
tar xzvf 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
./install.sh

to let the script to determine the version but it failed with this error:
sudo cp 8188eu.conf /etc/modprobe.d/.
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.18.11-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
install: cannot create regular file '/lib/modules/3.18.11-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless': No such file or directory
sudo depmod 3.18.11-v7+
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.18.11-v7+: No such file or directory
depmod: FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory

Do I have to assume that this driver works only with 3.x.x kernel?
If so, do I have to switch to OpenElec?

sasadangelo
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:56 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi again,

anyone can help?

Reading this post:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62371

I tried the driver
8188eu-20160219.tar.gz

but it still not work. Now the driver not start at all, the light on device is turned off and wireless connection disappeared completely.
Is there a driver for 4.4.1?

MrEngman
Posts: 3859
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:15 am

sasadangelo wrote:Hi again,

anyone can help?

Reading this post:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62371

I tried the driver
8188eu-20160219.tar.gz

but it still not work. Now the driver not start at all, the light on device is turned off and wireless connection disappeared completely.
Is there a driver for 4.4.1?
The drivers I compile are for Raspbian wheezy and Jessie and so probably will not work with osmc which is the version I think you are using.

There is a version of the 8188eu driver included in various OS, but if you try and install my driver it will disable the driver included in the OS. To enable the built in driver you need to delete the file /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf. e.g. use command

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf
After deleting the file reboot and then to check if you have the built in driver use command lsmod in a command terminal and see if it shows r8188eu.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

sasadangelo
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:56 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:03 am

Hi MrEngman,

It worked. My problem was that the connection drop after a while. At the moment I am checking if it will occurs again. For the moment not.
I have V2 adapter (I asked to the official support team and they told me that if device has 1588 printed on it then it is a V2)

Now I have few questions:
1. which driver I am using now? If I do "cd /lib/modules/4.4.1-1-osmc" and "find . -type f | grep 8188" I get
./kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
./kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/r8188eu.ko
how I can understand which one I am using? Is there any command to understand this?
3. I have to activate the driver manually each time I start Raspberry. How I can activate it at startup?
Thanks

MrEngman
Posts: 3859
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:55 am

sasadangelo wrote:Hi MrEngman,

It worked. My problem was that the connection drop after a while. At the moment I am checking if it will occurs again. For the moment not.
I have V2 adapter (I asked to the official support team and they told me that if device has 1588 printed on it then it is a V2)

Now I have few questions:
1. which driver I am using now? If I do "cd /lib/modules/4.4.1-1-osmc" and "find . -type f | grep 8188" I get
./kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
./kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/r8188eu.ko
how I can understand which one I am using? Is there any command to understand this?
3. I have to activate the driver manually each time I start Raspberry. How I can activate it at startup?
Thanks
The command lsmod shows the drivers that are being used.

My driver is ./kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko and I don't expect it to work with osmc so I would suggest you delete it using

Code: Select all

sudo rm /lib/modules/4.4.1-1-osmc/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
The built in driver is r8188eu.ko and it needs a separate firmware file to work. You can check if the firmware file is included using

Code: Select all

ls -l /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin
If it is not included you will need to install the firmware file. You can install the firmware using command

Code: Select all

sudo wget https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/raw/master/rtl8188eufw.bin -O /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin
After deleting my driver module and checking the firmware file is installed reboot and then try command lsmod. You should then see r8188eu in the list of modules.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

sasadangelo
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:56 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:59 am

Ok, thanks it works.

I will monitor the connection to check if the drop occurs again and I'll let you know.

In the meanwhile I have two other problems:
1. connect wireless automatically at startup
2. request a fixed hostname to dhcp so I do not have to try to figure out the ip assigned.
Thanks

sasadangelo
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:56 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi MrEngma,

I monitored the raspberry and I noticed few things. I have windows with putty (with and without keep alive). Leaving the shells in idle after a while they become inactive.

If I try to reconnect the wireless is still up and running.

Looking on dmesg I found the error below.

[ 2102.508682] R8188EU: ERROR linked_status_chk(wlan0) disconnect or roaming
[ 2104.519938] R8188EU: ERROR assoc success
[ 2194.508839] R8188EU: ERROR linked_status_chk(wlan0) disconnect or roaming
[ 2198.524289] R8188EU: ERROR assoc success
[ 2428.512534] R8188EU: ERROR linked_status_chk(wlan0) disconnect or roaming
[ 2430.464843] R8188EU: ERROR assoc success
[ 2518.509463] R8188EU: ERROR linked_status_chk(wlan0) disconnect or roaming
[ 2520.474851] R8188EU: ERROR assoc success
[ 2652.509783] R8188EU: ERROR linked_status_chk(wlan0) disconnect or roaming
[ 2654.519394] R8188EU: ERROR assoc success
[ 2766.510068] R8188EU: ERROR linked_status_chk(wlan0) disconnect or roaming
[ 2770.437125] R8188EU: ERROR assoc success

It's not clear to me if only ssh connection go down or the whole wireless.

PS
I have this power adapter
http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/mobi ... U90EWEGSTD
OUTPUT 5.0V 2.0A
but on another line is written100-240V Frekuensi 50-60Hz 0.35 A (it's not clear here if current is 2.0A or 0.35A)
Last edited by sasadangelo on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrEngman
Posts: 3859
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:48 pm

sasadangelo wrote:Hi MrEngma,

I monitored the raspberry and I noticed few things. I have windows with putty. On one putty I configured keep alive to 60 secs. Leaving the shell in idle after a while it become inactive. On the other putty with no keep alive (and this is strange) the connect remain in open. When I go back for few secs it is unresponsive but later it become responsive and everything work properly.

Looking on dmesg I found the error below.

So it's not clear to me if this kind of work is normal or I am experiencing problems.

[ 2102.508682] R8188EU: ERROR linked_status_chk(wlan0) disconnect or roaming
[ 2104.519938] R8188EU: ERROR assoc success
[ 2194.508839] R8188EU: ERROR linked_status_chk(wlan0) disconnect or roaming
[ 2198.524289] R8188EU: ERROR assoc success
[ 2428.512534] R8188EU: ERROR linked_status_chk(wlan0) disconnect or roaming
[ 2430.464843] R8188EU: ERROR assoc success
[ 2518.509463] R8188EU: ERROR linked_status_chk(wlan0) disconnect or roaming
[ 2520.474851] R8188EU: ERROR assoc success
[ 2652.509783] R8188EU: ERROR linked_status_chk(wlan0) disconnect or roaming
[ 2654.519394] R8188EU: ERROR assoc success
[ 2766.510068] R8188EU: ERROR linked_status_chk(wlan0) disconnect or roaming
[ 2770.437125] R8188EU: ERROR assoc success

PS
I have this power adapter
http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/mobi ... U90EWEGSTD
OUTPUT 5.0V 2.0A
but on another line is written100-240V Frekuensi 50-60Hz 0.35 A (it's not clear here if current is 2.0A or 0.35A)
The errors should probably really be warnings.

You could try the following to keep the wifi alive. Create a file using command

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/r8188eu.conf
and add the single line

Code: Select all

options r8188eu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0
This will disable power management which may be causing the errors. After making the file you will need to reboot to make it active.

I have not tried this file with the r8188eu driver but it seems to be a standard format for wifi adapters using Realtek chip sets. You can check if it working using command

Code: Select all

cat /sys/module/r8188eu/parameters/rtw_power_mgnt
which should show 0 (zero) if it is working.

Your power supply output to the Pi is 5.0V 2.0A. The other info is for the power supply input from the mains supply.



MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

sasadangelo
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:56 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi,

cat /sys/module/r8188eu/parameters/rtw_power_mgnt
return 0
but problem persist. I must say it seems less frequent.

Return to “Beginners”