MrEngman

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sat May 11, 2013 7:11 pm

mooselord wrote:hi MrEngman, I'd be interested in your BerryBoot image with the 8188eu driver preinstalled. Is it just the BerryBoot image? I'm currently broadband "challenged" and don't have a very big pipe to the internet, so a complete image with Raspbian, et al, would probably be too big for me to download.

thanks for your hard work and dedication.
Hi mooselord,

OK, the image is just BerryBoot and is about 24.5MB. You can download it here http://db.tt/7TAJuNMt. You should end up with a file berryboot-rtl8188eu.tar.gz. Install using the normal BerryBoot installation instructions.

Have fun

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

mooselord

Mon May 13, 2013 2:34 pm

hi MrEngman,
I tried your BerryBoot image and it worked great. Wifi access from the BerryBoot Gui worked, and as you said Wifi works out of the box with Raspbian (after a reboot) and also works with OpenElec after setting up the network config using the OpenElec GUI. Nice work!

Sadly, I could not get WIfi to work with the latest 2013-02-09 version of Raspbian I repackaged for BerryBoot, and also the version of BerryWebServer loaded by BerryBoot wouldn't make a Wifi connection. Frankly, I'm not surprised, since I'm beginning to realize how dependent Linux drivers are on being compiled specifically for the version of Linux they will be running on. I'll putter with it some more, but getting Raspbian and OpenElec running was all I really needed.

thanks, Mooselord

Lekensteyn

Tue May 14, 2013 1:23 pm

How unfortunate (or fortunate, depending on who you ask), I got the v1.0 version so I cannot help out here. For Dutch shoppers, I bought this at http://azerty.nl/0-1251-529107/tp-link- ... reles.html for €9.90.

P/N is 0152502085, S/N is different from http://blog.pi3g.com/2013/05/tp-link-15 ... pberry-pi/. Barcode (6935364050719) and the number below the PN (10142) are the same.

GMT64

Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Based upon the earlier comments (about 15th April) about copying a file called 8188eu.ko to a certain library/folder ...

how do I do that then?

I've downloaded the file to my Windows PC ... how do I get it onto my RPi?
I put the SD card into my SD Reader on my PC, and copied the file across to the card, but when I put the card back into my Pi I cannot see the file anywhere on the card. Is there somewhere special where I should put it so that it will be visible to my Pi?

(I have a v2.0 version of the TL-WN725N wifi dongle, so I need to get the file from the Internet down onto my RPi, and then follow the install instructions. I can't download it directly to my Pi as I don't have an internet connection ... which is why I need to Wifi dongle. *Everything* that I need to get onto my Pi needs to go via my PC ... how/where do I put stuff onto the SD card from my PC so that it's visible on my Pi?)

Lekensteyn

Mon May 20, 2013 8:11 pm

The SD card has two partitions, boot (formatted FAT) and the root filesystem (formatted ext4). It appears that you have put the file on the FAT-formatted boot partition as that is the only partition that Windows can see. I recommend you using a Linux distribution. If you are unable to do so, try installing a Windows program that allows you to access ext4 partitions.

See also the following Superuser.com question: Does an ext4 writer for Windows exist?

GMT64

Mon May 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Lekensteyn,

thanks for answering so quickly.

That's [Linux distro answer] not really a workable solution for me. I don't have a Linux distribution, or access to one, or the capability to create/load one. The PC is not mine, so I cannot change it ... it is Windows 7, so I need a W7 solution.

I'm not certain if I'd be able to install an 'ext4 writer' on the machine, as I don't have admin rights to do anything like that.

I will have to keep looking ... if I write the file to a USB memory stick, will a RPi read that without needing massive changes?

Lekensteyn

Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Do you have access to the terminal/console/"command line" on the Raspberry, using the Ethernet connection or with a USB keyboard plugged in the Pi?

If so, you should be able to locate your file in the /boot/ folder. Use the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo install -m644 /boot/8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.6.11/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
Aside, getting a Linux distribution is really easy. You do not need to install anything on your hard disk, you can create a so-called *Live USB* which is a USB on which you put a Linux distribution. After rebooting the computer (and maybe changing the boot order), you can start off the USB stick. From there, you can experiment and play, all changes are stored in RAM and are gone on shutdown. (you can save date by writing it to the USB or hard disk partition though)

MrEngman

Mon May 20, 2013 10:18 pm

Not being a Linux expert I try and do things the easy way, KISS and all that sort of stuff, so I would suggest ....... try this command

ls /boot
on your Pi. This should show the partition you can see in Windows and you should see the driver in there. You should then be able to install the file with the commands

sudo install -p -m 644 /boot/8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo depmod -a
If you edit the wifi configuration data in file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf before installing the driver I would expect your wifi to be working. Info about the configuration data is in an earlier post in this thread.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

GMT64

Tue May 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Lekensteyn wrote:Do you have access to the terminal/console/"command line" on the Raspberry, using the Ethernet connection or with a USB keyboard plugged in the Pi?
Unfortunately, I do not ...

I am still struggling to set-up my Pi ... almost everything that I do seems to bring up some kind of minor problem, so I investigate an alternative method, try that, and come up against another problem.

I don't have a wired Ethernet connection for my Pi (or my PC!) so I need to use a Wifi connection; but I'm having problems setting-up the wifi dongle on the Pi; I'm still at that first-step!

My set-up is ... I have my desktop PC with its monitor/screen. If I want to do anything on my Pi I have to make hand-written notes about what I plan to do, then shut down the PC, disconnect the screen, set-up the Pi using the PC screen (via a HDMI-VGA adapter - screen is not HDMI!), connect everything together, and (eventually) boot-up the Pi.
I'm then able to work on the Pi and try out anything.
If I get problems, I need to switch it all off, remove all the Pi stuff out of the way, reconnect the screen to my desktop PC, and boot that.

Lekensteyn wrote:If so, you should be able to locate your file in the /boot/ folder. Use the following command:

sudo install -m644 /boot/8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.6.11/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
Aside, getting a Linux distribution is really easy. You do not need to install anything on your hard disk, you can create a so-called *Live USB* which is a USB on which you put a Linux distribution. After rebooting the computer (and maybe changing the boot order), you can start off the USB stick. From there, you can experiment and play, all changes are stored in RAM and are gone on shutdown. (you can save date by writing it to the USB or hard disk partition though)
I might try that solution if all else fails. Never really used Linux before, so that will be another steep learning-curve, before I get onto the steep learning-curve that is the Pi! One step at a time.

MrEngman

Tue May 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi GMT64,

Take a look here. You might find this useful.

This will allow you to connect your Pi to the PC and access the Pi. You can then set up your Windows PC for ICS to allow the Pi to connect to the internet.

Save you having to keep powering machines on and off etc.

MrEngman

GMT64

Wed May 22, 2013 3:02 pm

MrEngman,

thanks for that tip ... I have 'sorta' already tried that, but it didn't work for me.

When I connected it all up, I could type things on my PC keyboard, but I didn't get to see what is happening in the Pi on my screen ... so how do I know what is happening on the Pi. Did my command work, did I get any errors, did I get any messages relating to my command? ... If I can't *see* what's happening on my Pi, how do I know if it's working okay.

As it was, I had to borrow a network cable from somebody else (who had to stop working while I had his cable for the evening!) and now the cable has gone back to him. My PC connects to my Router using Wifi, so I don't have (or need) a cable ... hence my need to get Wifi working on my Pi.

I tried your earlier suggestion about seeing what was in the /boot folder ... that worked okay, and the 8188eu.ko file was there. Next, I tried the sudo install/insmod/depmod commands you suggested; I assume that they all worked as I got no messages, errors or warnings from each command (should there be anything?).
However, I'm not sure where I go next to check my Wifi connection, or even to 'connect' it.

There was a suggestion to see the contents of the wpa_supplicant.conf file, but every time I try to access it I get 'access denied'. I tried using vi, I tried using cat.

Somebody earlier mentioned running lsusb to get a list of connected USB devices. Done that, and it reported by USB wifi dongle ... ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor ... but no indication of which chipset (which is what I was expecting, according to the earlier message).

MrEngman

Wed May 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Trying to set up your Pi without being able to see what it's doing must be a real nightmare. What program are you using to talk to the Pi? Putty I presume.

Thought I'd try a direct connect from Pi to my laptop to see how it worked. Normally I use a wireless or wired connection through my normal wired or wireless networks and routers.

Just to see what happens I've set my Pi up with an IP as in the instructions and I have Putty on my windows laptop but not Xming. It is not needed to set up the Pi and just makes life more complicated. I add an IP to putty and set a name in the Saved Sessions box and save. All other settings are the default. Opening putty using the selected IP and I get a terminal window with the output from the Pi. I can then log in and use it like I am directly connected with TV and keyboard.

Using Putty the only settings I ever change from default are the Windows column and row and scroll back settings. Otherwise I leave everything else using the default settings.

If you've set Putty to use X11 forwarding I would suggest disabling that and try without it and don't try use Xming. Mind you all pretty irrelevant if you don't have a network cable.

The wifi you have does not show the driver it uses when you use lsusb command, which is not very helpful, but the USB VID:PID (vendor/product ID) is 0bda:8179 and this requires the 8188eu driver. As you got no errors executing the commands to install the driver it has been installed OK. If not you would have received some sort of error message from the insmod command.

To finish getting the wifi working you also need to add your network set up to the file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. To edit that file you will need to use the prefix sudo before the edit command as the file can only be edited by the root user. sudo lets you run a command as root user. I usually use the nano editor so to edit that file I use the command sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. Just replace nano with your favourite editor. I just find nano the easiest to use.

A minimum set up looks like

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
	ssid="network-name"
	psk="network-password"
}
and you will need to use your own network's name and passwork. By default wpa_supplicant.conf comes with the first two lines already set up so you just need to add the last 4 - network={...} After setting up wpa_supplicant.conf reboot and the wifi should start up.

And just for reference the file /etc/network/interfaces should look like

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
This is the default set up and should not need changing.

MrEngman

GMT64

Thu May 23, 2013 2:51 pm

MrEngman,

It works!

many thanks for that ... award yourself a 'virtual beer' for all your assistance.

As you said, add those few lines to the .conf file, and reboot (the interfaces file was already as you said it would be).
Once the reboot was done I was able to see my IP address using the hostname -I command; then I went into startx and when I tried the web-browser it all worked. After a little bit of fiddling-around I was able to set my homepage to Google; a restart of the web-browser then went straight into Google ... most excellent!

Now I can start to use the Pi, and see if there are any updates that I need to download.

When I tried the earlier trick of using my Pi connected to my desktop (and it not working) I wasn't using PuTTY ... I don't have the ability to install that on my desktop. It's all academic now anyway, I've got my wifi working, so I should be able to carry on to the next step of my plan for global world domination.

Graham.

robertjordan

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:10 am

Lekensteyn wrote:
lwfinger wrote:I have received an offer of a free TL-WN725N V2 from user pi3g. In exchange for that, I will be modifying the latest Realtek driver for inclusion in the staging tree of the kernel. In the meantime, I have placed a copy of the source in a git repo at http://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu.git.
Great news, your work is appreciated! Can this be expected to end up in the staging tree or drivers/net/wireless/realtek in 3.11?

@Rendres, I have opened an xbian issue related to your problem. You need to build the kernel module yourself, but that is not easy on xbian because you actually need to build the whole xbian kernel again. Their kernel build instructions are incorrect (`sudo cd ..`, really...?). I suggest you to try another kernel (say, from raspbian). Copy /boot/kernel.img and /lib/modules/3.... The initramfs of xbain does not contain kernel modules, so this should be sufficient. (make a backup of the kernel image and modules/3.6.11+ directory by renaming it).
Lekensteyn, I don't know if I get what you mean... I have raspbian, so I should copy from there /boot/kernel.img and the folder /lib/modules/3 right? (can I do it from my mac?) Then I have to copy it to xbian? (again, can I do it from my mac?)

Lekensteyn

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 am

robertjordan wrote:Lekensteyn, I don't know if I get what you mean... I have raspbian, so I should copy from there /boot/kernel.img and the folder /lib/modules/3 right? (can I do it from my mac?) Then I have to copy it to xbian? (again, can I do it from my mac?)
That should work. Note that /boot and / are two different partitions, for reading ext partitions you may need special software on mac.

Have you read through https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/370 already? Especially https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issu ... t-18489021

robertjordan

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:40 am

Lekensteyn wrote:That should work. Note that /boot and / are two different partitions, for reading ext partitions you may need special software on mac.

Have you read through https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issues/370 already? Especially https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issu ... t-18489021
I was trying to read that... the fact is that I'm a noob, so I find it difficult to understand... I have some basic questions, for example what i know is that a kernel should be the heart of an operative system (and this could mean anything)... but why a kernel for a different operative system (raspbian) should work on xbian? If it works, why xbian has natively a different kernel? What does it mean to compile a kernel and how con I do that?

RichardUK

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for the info guys, got two of these in Argos for £9.99
Now show up with ifconfig, just need to config them now. :)

Will this driver make it into the Raspbian build?

KoalaCreek

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:52 am

MrEngman,
Great work and very useful for a newbie like me. Am now able to get my TL-WN725N V2 working with the 8188eu driver on Raspbian in a jiffy :D
Will certainly try the BerryBoot image, as I would like to get OpenElec running with Wifi as well.

Cheers,

KoalaCreek

robertjordan

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:04 am

Lekensteyn wrote:
robertjordan wrote:Lekensteyn, I don't know if I get what you mean... I have raspbian, so I should copy from there /boot/kernel.img and the folder /lib/modules/3 right? (can I do it from my mac?) Then I have to copy it to xbian? (again, can I do it from my mac?)
That should work. Note that /boot and / are two different partitions, for reading ext partitions you may need special software on mac.
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/issu ... t-18489021
I have tried with the kernel of raspbian on xbian (even though, I couldn't transfer the folder /lib/modules/3 because it says that I don't have the permission... but actually, I think that folder and files is the same in both raspbian and xbian).
The tp-link adapter works perfectly... but it seems that I can't read volumes with NTFS and exFAT file systems with raspbian kernel on xbian!

QBall1977

Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14 pm

Dear All,

Thanks for the support on this topic. I'm trying to get this little wireless blighter V2 working on the latest version of RaspBMC (which I thought was just a special version of Raspian!) However using the 8188eu.ko (in the right folder) does not work. I just get the

ERROR: could not insert '8188eu': Exec format error

So I thought I'd try MAKING my own version of the driver... I'm brave, but not that good apparently. I got the Github and cloned it - https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu and then tried doing a 'sudo make' however I get THIS error. Perhaps someone smarter than me could translate it.

pi@raspbmc:~/rtl8188eu$ sudo make
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/3.6.11/build M=/home/pi/rtl8188eu modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/lib/modules/3.6.11/build'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/lib/modules/3.6.11/build'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Thanks in advance.

Mark. :?

MrEngman

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:42 pm

You need to also get a copy of the Linux source code for raspBMC. I'm not sure where you can find that. You'll probably need to look on the RaspBMC site. This is not the same as the raspberry pi source code for Raspbian.

You also need two other files .config and Module.symvers You can get .config using command zcat /proc/config/gz > .config on your SD card in the Pi. For Raspbian the Module.symvers file is included in the source tree. I don't know if its available in the RaspBMC source. If not you will need to compile the Linux source and this can take a long time - 10hrs for Raspbian - probably similar for RaspBMC if using the Pi.

I usually install the Linux source in a directory in my home directory and can then compile with the following

# make directory for source
mkdir src
cd src

# set up symbolic link to Linux source
ln -s /home/pi/src/linux /lib/modules/3.6.11+/build

# now get linux source code which will be put in directory linux
git clone --depth 1 git://xxxxxxxx/linux.git # xxxxxxxx = RaspBMC source directory

# now initialise source
cd linux
make mrproper

# set up .config file and prepare for compiling module
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
make modules_prepare

# now copy Modules.sysmvers to linux source directory
cp /path/to/Modules.symvers ./

# compile module
cd /home/pi/src/rtl8188eu_source
CONFIG_RTL8188EU=m make -C /path/to/linux M=`pwd` # char ` is under ¬ character on keyboard and is not single quote '.

And now install and load the module

sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo depmod -a

This how I compile for Raspbian. The same for RaspBMC except you need the RaspBMC source, and the right Module.symvers file.

MrEngman

Bacchus

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:15 pm

Has anyone here got V2 (RTL8188EUS) working as an AP?

It should work, and is advertised as working on Win$ and Mac$, but unstable Linux drivers can be difficult.

MrEngman

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Bacchus wrote:Has anyone here got V2 (RTL8188EUS) working as an AP?

It should work, and is advertised as working on Win$ and Mac$, but unstable Linux drivers can be difficult.
Yes, I followed the instructions for the rtl8188cus here http://www.daveconroy.com/turn-your-ras ... s-chipset/ and got the EW-7811Un working. Then powered of and unplugged the EW-7811Un and plugged in the WN725N V2 and restarted and up it came. I had already installed the driver for the WN725N V2 on the card I used.

MrEngman

Bacchus

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Many thanks for that. Much appreciated.

Shinen

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Hello.
I have a D-Link TL-WN723N V3 and try to get it working with this driver and no luck.
http://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN723N_v3 says what this dongle based on RTL8188EUS.
Can anyone help me with this piece of dongle ? :)
ifconfig shows just eth0 and lo
seems like driver not loaded or not compatible.
lsusb shows Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
I try it on clean current image 2013-07-26-wheezy-raspbian.zip

p.s. I have another dongle also based on RT2870, but it doesn't work also :(

Return to “Beginners”