caporeira
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Thank you for your answer. I had this driver install:for 3.6.11+ #538 and #541 use 8188eu-20130830.tar.gz

And now, my raspbian seeing this wlan card. But has problem with connection (had connected but all time hi is restarting this connection and have no IP ). I had tried with different security method (wpa, WP2, etc)

Homer1491
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:10 pm

The latest driver version doesn't work with the latest kernel version on my raspi :(

Linux raspi 3.10.18+ #596 PREEMPT Fri Nov 15 13:57:24 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux

pi@raspi ~ $ sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.10.18+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
Error: could not insert module /lib/modules/3.10.18+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko: Invalid module format

MrEngman
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:13 am

Homer1491 wrote:The latest driver version doesn't work with the latest kernel version on my raspi :(

Linux raspi 3.10.18+ #596 PREEMPT Fri Nov 15 13:57:24 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux

pi@raspi ~ $ sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.10.18+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
Error: could not insert module /lib/modules/3.10.18+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko: Invalid module format
Finally sorted the drivers for the WN725N V2 with 8188eu driver.

IMPORTANT: The new drivers use a seperate firmware file. This is included in the driver tar.gz file. If the firmware file is not installed you will need to install it the first time you install the new driver. You will not need to repeat the firmware load if you need to update the driver with a newer version - unless it changes and a note will be made.

The firmware file is included in the driver tar.gz file and is the file rtl8188eufw.bin. This file needs to be copied to the directory /lib/firmware/rtlwifi using the command

Code: Select all

sudo cp rtl8188eufw.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
The currently available drivers are for raspbian 3.10.18+ #577 to #596. Use command uname -a to determine the version you are using and download the necessary file, untar it and install it, and the firmware file if necessary, using the commands below.

Driver files

Code: Select all

#577 - 8188eu-20131105.tar.gz https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20131105.tar.gz
#579 - 8188eu-20131106.tar.gz https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20131106.tar.gz
#585 - 8188eu-20131106.tar.gz https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20131106.tar.gz
#585 - 8188eu-20131106.tar.gz https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20131106.tar.gz
#587 - 8188eu-20131110.tar.gz https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20131110.tar.gz
#590 - 8188eu-20131111.tar.gz https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20131111.tar.gz
#592 - 8188eu-20131111.tar.gz https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20131111.tar.gz
#594 - 8188eu-20131113.tar.gz https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20131113.tar.gz
#596 - 8188eu-20131113.tar.gz https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20131113.tar.gz
Install using the commands below selecting the correct driver depending on version of code you are running.

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-201311xx.tar.gz   <-- select correct driver from list above
tar -zxvf 8188eu-201311xx.tar.gz                                           <-- select correct driver from list above
cat README                                  <-- view README file with firmware install details
cp rtl8188eufw.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi    <-- install firmware file if not already loaded
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.10.18+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.10.18+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo depmod -a
Hope this is useful. :D


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.


caporeira
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:09 am

Hi, I have problem with my wifi connection.

This looks - >

Code: Select all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ap5z1unr3x47vip/2013-11-28%2001.02.07.mp4
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxihu5u1zkwq4ux/2013-11-28%2001.07.33.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/87bqdrkmm3zr5em/2013-11-28%2001.04.155.jpg
I have raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #538

Anyone have idea why ?

babujnik
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:23 am

paste your /etc/network/interfaces

mine connection work perfectly using WICD as a network manager from CLI.

ssarace
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:30 pm

I've also problems with kernel 3.10.24+:

I download the 8188eu-20131113.tar.gz file, but I get the
Error: could not insert module /lib/modules/3.10.24+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko: Invalid module format

MrEngman
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:44 pm

ssarace wrote:I've also problems with kernel 3.10.24+:

I download the 8188eu-20131113.tar.gz file, but I get the
Error: could not insert module /lib/modules/3.10.24+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko: Invalid module format
That version of the driver is not compatible with the newer version of linux. You need a newer compiled version of the driver. Take a look here for a complete list of linux revisions and compatible versions of the 8188eu driver.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

patrick31698
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:08 am

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:18 am

I spent some days trying to get this WLAN Stick working, still i cant get it working.

I installed the latest driver as explained in the howto......

Code: Select all

sudo ifup wlan0
ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not permitted
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.2
Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlan0/10:fe:ed:12:96:29
Sending on   LPF/wlan0/10:fe:ed:12:96:29
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

Code: Select all

Linux raspberrypi 3.10.24+ #610 PREEMPT Thu Dec 12 13:12:09 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux

Code: Select all

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 

Code: Select all

cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Code: Select all

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ap-scan 1
wpa-scan-ssid 1
wpa-ssid "EasyBox-60A743"
wpa-psk "geheim"

Code: Select all


cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.2.1

Code: Select all

cat /etc/hosts 
127.0.0.1       localhost
::1             localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0         ip6-localnet
ff00::0         ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1         ip6-allnodes
ff02::2         ip6-allrouters

127.0.1.1       raspberrypi

Code: Select all

ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  Hardware Adresse b8:27:eb:67:61:6e  
          inet Adresse:192.168.2.110  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Maske:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metrik:1
          RX packets:472 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:206 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000 
          RX bytes:39047 (38.1 KiB)  TX bytes:24072 (23.5 KiB)

lo        Link encap:Lokale Schleife  
          inet Adresse:127.0.0.1  Maske:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metrik:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:0 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  Hardware Adresse 10:fe:ed:12:96:29  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metrik:1
          RX packets:282 errors:0 dropped:14151 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:282 errors:0 dropped:9 overruns:0 carrier:0
          Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenlänge:1000 
          RX bytes:43710 (42.6 KiB)  TX bytes:43710 (42.6 KiB)

Code: Select all

iwconfig
wlan0     unassociated  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Sensitivity:0/0  
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

Code: Select all

route -n 
Kernel-IP-Routentabelle
Ziel            Router          Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.2.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
192.168.2.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

Code: Select all

cat: /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

cat: /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

cat: /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

-bash: rfkill: Kommando nicht gefunden.

Code: Select all


lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_bcm2835            16165  0 
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s     5474  0 
regmap_mmio             2806  1 snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
snd_soc_core          131268  1 snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
snd_compress            8076  1 snd_soc_core
regmap_i2c              1645  1 snd_soc_core
regmap_spi              1897  1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm                81593  2 snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core
snd_page_alloc          5156  1 snd_pcm
snd_seq                53769  0 
8188eu                692148  0 
snd_seq_device          6473  1 snd_seq
snd_timer              20133  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
leds_gpio               2059  0 
led_class               3688  1 leds_gpio
snd                    61291  7 snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_compress

Code: Select all

wlist chan 
wlan0     13 channels in total; available frequencies :
          Channel 01 : 2.412 GHz
          Channel 02 : 2.417 GHz
          Channel 03 : 2.422 GHz
          Channel 04 : 2.427 GHz
          Channel 05 : 2.432 GHz
          Channel 06 : 2.437 GHz
          Channel 07 : 2.442 GHz
          Channel 08 : 2.447 GHz
          Channel 09 : 2.452 GHz
          Channel 10 : 2.457 GHz
          Channel 11 : 2.462 GHz
          Channel 12 : 2.467 GHz
          Channel 13 : 2.472 GHz
          Current Frequency=2.412 GHz (Channel 1)

lo        no frequency information.

eth0      no frequency information.

Code: Select all

sudo iwlist scan 
wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 74:31:70:60:A7:FB
                    ESSID:"EasyBox-60A743"
                    Protocol:IEEE 802.11bgn
                    Mode:Master
                    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
                    Encryption key:on
                    Bit Rates:144 Mb/s
                    Extra:wpa_ie =dd1c0050f20101000050f20202000050f2020050f20401000050f2020000
                    IE: WPA Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (2) : TKIP CCMP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                    Extra:rsn_ie =30180100000fac020200000fac02000fac040100000fac020100
                    IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (2) : TKIP CCMP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                       Preauthentication Supported
                    IE: Unknown: DD8E0050F204104A00011010440001021041000100103B000103104700100000000000000003000074317060A7FB1021000B436F72706F726174696F6E102300094152563735324450571024000933302E30352E3231391042000B52313431323433303033321054000800060050F204000110110014576972656C65737320526F757465722857464129100800020004
                    Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

Code: Select all

{{{

Dec 16 20:55:34 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[1670]: wlan0: Association request to the driver failed
Dec 16 20:55:34 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[1670]: wlan0: Associated with 74:31:70:60:a7:fb
Dec 16 20:55:44 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[1670]: wlan0: Authentication with 74:31:70:60:a7:fb timed out.
Dec 16 20:55:44 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[1670]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=00:00:00:00:00:00 reason=0
Dec 16 20:55:45 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[1670]: wlan0: Trying to associate with 74:31:70:60:a7:fb (SSID='EasyBox-60A743' freq=2412 MHz)
Dec 16 20:55:45 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[1670]: wlan0: Association request to the driver failed
Dec 16 20:55:45 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[1670]: wlan0: Associated with 74:31:70:60:a7:fb

dmesg | egrep 'net|eth|sky|sis|via|3c3|3c5|e100|8139|8169|acx|air|ath|atl|ar9|carl|atme|at7|herm|iwl|ipw|rtl8|r81|rt2|rt3|rt6|rt7|tg3|ssb|wl|b43|b44|ori|pri|p5|zd|ndis|wmi|ns8|FW' 
[    1.031918] audit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)
[    2.141723] Initializing XFRM netlink socket
[    2.302093]  mmcblk0: p1 p2 < p5 p6 > p3
[    3.159538] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: register 'smsc95xx' at usb-bcm2708_usb-1.1, smsc95xx USB 2.0 Ethernet, b8:27:eb:67:61:6e
[    6.756215] usbcore: registered new interface driver r8188eu
[   16.882850] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p5): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
[   19.318057] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: hardware isn't capable of remote wakeup
[   20.765648] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x4DE1
[   88.994521] Adding 102396k swap on /var/swap.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:102396k SSFS

MrEngman
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Make sure you have rebooted then if you still don't get a connection try commands

Code: Select all

sudo ifdown --force wlan0
sudo ifup --force wlan0
Often works when sudo ifdown wlan0 and sudo ifup wlan0 do not.

I had a very strange problem last night. I made a new SD card with raspbian 2013-09-25 and the wifi worked using 3.6.11+ #538 and then I update using atp-get update/upgrade and it loaded 3.10.24+ #614 and with the new driver installed the wifi just refused to connect.

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo ifup --force wlan0
ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not permitted
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.2
Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:11:3b:19:1f:30
Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:11:3b:19:1f:30
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 18
DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.16.2
DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 20
DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.16.2
DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 17
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 2
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ 
I tried various things to get it going, rebooting, ifup/ifdown, with and without --force, and various other things and it just wouldn't connect. Finally I looked at the wireless access point settings and it said the wifi was connected :o But it was not! I reset the access point and now it showed the wifi was not connected but the wifi connected and started working correctly immediately after another reboot. Very strange. First time I've ever had a real issue trying to connect my wifi. However, I don't think this is the problem you have.

You could check if your access point thinks it is connected to your wifi and if it shows the wifi Is connected reset the access point, although I don't think this is what is causing your problem.

Also when you are connected run command sudo depmod -a to make sure the driver is registered and it will restart after a reboot.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

KJToo
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:13 pm

I just bought the TP-Link for my new Raspberry Pi yesterday and the firmware/driver worked like a charm. Thank you very much for keeping this up to date, MrEngman.

MrEngman
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:10 pm

KJToo wrote:I just bought the TP-Link for my new Raspberry Pi yesterday and the firmware/driver worked like a charm. Thank you very much for keeping this up to date, MrEngman.
Thank you.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

sebathorus
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Hello

The drivers you developed worked great for me until version #614.
Now, I installed both driver and firmware, the USB WiFi dongle is recognized and the blue led is blinking, but, after the driver is installed system became very slow and sometimes I cannot connect to Raspberry neither on wired or wireless.
Someone else got this behavior? Any possible solution?

Thank you

dsclinef
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:57 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:24 pm

MrEngman wrote: Also when you are connected run command sudo depmod -a to make sure the driver is registered and it will restart after a reboot.
How do I go about ensuring that the driver is registered and that it will restart after a reboot?

I followed your well documented steps for getting the TL-WN725 configured on my RPi. I have 3.10.24+ running, so I pulled down the 1219 version of the drivers from your dropbox, copied the firmware over to /lib/firmware with the correct name, installed the driver and right now I see wlan0. However when I reboot, wlan0 won't come back up. During the reboot I see that wlan0 does not exist and I have to go through the process of installing the driver again.

Following this latest reboot, I had to run: sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.10.24+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko

After this I would expect to run sudo depmod -a. When I do it takes a few seconds and then if I reboot, wlan0 is again missing.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

MrEngman
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:06 pm

dsclinef wrote:
MrEngman wrote: Also when you are connected run command sudo depmod -a to make sure the driver is registered and it will restart after a reboot.
How do I go about ensuring that the driver is registered and that it will restart after a reboot?

I followed your well documented steps for getting the TL-WN725 configured on my RPi. I have 3.10.24+ running, so I pulled down the 1219 version of the drivers from your dropbox, copied the firmware over to /lib/firmware with the correct name, installed the driver and right now I see wlan0. However when I reboot, wlan0 won't come back up. During the reboot I see that wlan0 does not exist and I have to go through the process of installing the driver again.

Following this latest reboot, I had to run: sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.10.24+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko

After this I would expect to run sudo depmod -a. When I do it takes a few seconds and then if I reboot, wlan0 is again missing.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Hmm? I've heard mention of a similar problem before, but why it happens I have no idea. It may be trying to load an older driver version, although I'm not sure. Do a search for all copies of the file 8188eu.ko and delete all except for /lib/modules/3.10.24+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko.

To find all copies of 8188eu.ko use the command

Code: Select all

sudo find / -name 8188eu.ko
This should generate a list of all the 8188eu.ko files. Delete all copies except /lib/modules/3.10.24+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko. Then reboot and try again. You will probably need to run the insmod and depmod commands again.

It's a weird problem and I've really no idea why it happens but this has provided a solution for the few others that have tried it.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

dsclinef
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:57 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:51 pm

MrEngman wrote:
dsclinef wrote:
MrEngman wrote: Also when you are connected run command sudo depmod -a to make sure the driver is registered and it will restart after a reboot.
How do I go about ensuring that the driver is registered and that it will restart after a reboot?

I followed your well documented steps for getting the TL-WN725 configured on my RPi. I have 3.10.24+ running, so I pulled down the 1219 version of the drivers from your dropbox, copied the firmware over to /lib/firmware with the correct name, installed the driver and right now I see wlan0. However when I reboot, wlan0 won't come back up. During the reboot I see that wlan0 does not exist and I have to go through the process of installing the driver again.

Following this latest reboot, I had to run: sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.10.24+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko

After this I would expect to run sudo depmod -a. When I do it takes a few seconds and then if I reboot, wlan0 is again missing.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Hmm? I've heard mention of a similar problem before, but why it happens I have no idea. It may be trying to load an older driver version, although I'm not sure. Do a search for all copies of the file 8188eu.ko and delete all except for /lib/modules/3.10.24+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko.

To find all copies of 8188eu.ko use the command

Code: Select all

sudo find / -name 8188eu.ko
This should generate a list of all the 8188eu.ko files. Delete all copies except /lib/modules/3.10.24+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko. Then reboot and try again. You will probably need to run the insmod and depmod commands again.

It's a weird problem and I've really no idea why it happens but this has provided a solution for the few others that have tried it.


MrEngman
That was it. Apparently during one of my attempts to get wireless working I did the install to /lib/modules/3.10.24+/kernel/net/wireless. Once 8188eu.ko was removed from this location and the driver reinstalled and registered, it all worked like a champ.

Thanks for the direction on this problem.

BigRed2000
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi MrEngman,

like many before me, I also need your advice regarding getting the 725N v2 installed. I have read many tutorials in the last three days and it has gotten me nowhere. However, your name keeps coming up... :D So here it goes.

My current set-up consist of the most current BerryBoot with a fresh downloaded version of Raspbian:

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11-rpi-aufs #1 PREEMPT Sat Sep 7 23:10:27 CEST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
I tried installing the 8188eu.ko driver for Raspbian (BerryBoot) you provided earlier in this thread and everything worked except for the last step:

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.6.11-rpi-aufs/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
Error: could not insert module /lib/modules/3.6.11-rpi-aufs/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko: Invalid module format
I am guessing that the Raspbian (BerryBoot) I am currently using is newer that the driver you provided earlier and is therefor not compatible. Can you confirm?

If this is indeed the case, is there a newer version of the 8188eu.ko driver available which would work with the most current version of Raspbian (Berryboot)? Any chance you already have compiled this driver? ;)

If not, can you guide me through the steps of compiling it myself? I have to warn you, I am a total noob to Raspberry and Linux, so please take it slow ;)

Thank you so much for your support!

di11on
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:47 am

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:40 am

Hi all,

I previously posted this here but this thread seems to be getting more attention! Please feel free to delete my post in the other thread.

I'm running PiMAME and can't get this adapter to work. I have a powered USB hub. I've tried all the precompiled 8188eu binaries, none of them work - I get the "ERROR: could not insert '8188eu': Exec format error" every time I try. I've tried compiling it myself but get errors.

uname -a returns:
Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11 #1 PREEMPT Fri Oct 11 11:20:25 UTC 2013 armv6l

My wife would appreciate your help enormously as that would mean getting rid of the big ugly ethernet cable running half way across the house to my arcade cabinet :-)

MrEngman
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:24 am

di11on wrote:Hi all,

I previously posted this here but this thread seems to be getting more attention! Please feel free to delete my post in the other thread.

I'm running PiMAME and can't get this adapter to work. I have a powered USB hub. I've tried all the precompiled 8188eu binaries, none of them work - I get the "ERROR: could not insert '8188eu': Exec format error" every time I try. I've tried compiling it myself but get errors.

uname -a returns:
Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11 #1 PREEMPT Fri Oct 11 11:20:25 UTC 2013 armv6l

My wife would appreciate your help enormously as that would mean getting rid of the big ugly ethernet cable running half way across the house to my arcade cabinet :-)
See here. Not a good idea duplicating posts.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

pattongong
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:00 am
Location: Beijing

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:16 am

Thank you to MrEngman's help and I can get started with Raspberry pi now ! :D
MrEngman wrote:
andy18 wrote:mr. engman
when I "install -p -m 644", I get and error "missing file operand"
any suggestions?
You did not type the complete command - it should be

Code: Select all

sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
MrEngman

bluepuma
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Driver for 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:20 pm

There is a new Raspbian version out: 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian (Link)

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.10.25+ #624 PREEMPT Tue Jan 7 20:10:18 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
Is there a new binary 8188eu.ko driver available for the TP-Link TL-WN725N V2?

MrEngman
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Driver for 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian?

Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:03 pm

bluepuma wrote:There is a new Raspbian version out: 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian (Link)

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.10.25+ #624 PREEMPT Tue Jan 7 20:10:18 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
Is there a new binary 8188eu.ko driver available for the TP-Link TL-WN725N V2?
Take a look here.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Solenki
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Re: Driver for 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:51 am

MrEngman wrote: Take a look here.

MrEngman
You have made an amazing work MrEngman, a quick search led me to your solutions.

I'm kind of tired of the V2 and always having to install drivers. Can anyone suggest a wireless usb dongle that is well supported by linux ?


Anyway, thanks again.

MrEngman
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Driver for 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian?

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:58 am

Solenki wrote:
MrEngman wrote: Take a look here.

MrEngman
You have made an amazing work MrEngman, a quick search led me to your solutions.

I'm kind of tired of the V2 and always having to install drivers. Can anyone suggest a wireless usb dongle that is well supported by linux ?


Anyway, thanks again.
There is the Edimax EW-7811Un which is quite popular. This has the driver include so no having to download and install new drivers when you update. I have several and have no problems with them.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

abhishek.es
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Re: TP-Link TL-WN725N V2 works out of the box on Raspbian

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:26 am

Can someone give me a complied version of this driver for 3.10.26+ . I have tried compiling this but getting different errors.It is much easier if someone has compiled it already

Return to “Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apoldion, RaspberryNOOB92 and 37 guests