Cool.Majkl

XMBC, WDS and much more ...

Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi !

I wanted to have and media center (XMBC) on my TV and NAS with Torrent Server - but I got into few problems. I hope you can help me out.

Most easy way to describe is picture :
Raspix.jpg
Raspix.jpg (43.83 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/downl ... hp?id=2088

In my house upstairs I'm having Raspi #1 connected with router to the internet and connected with my 1,5TB Ext. HDD.
Raspi #1 is Running : Samba and Transmission

Because my Wi-Fi signal downstairs is not that strong, I bought second Wifi router today with an idea, that I will make WDS. But that was not so clever since WDS between these two routers is not working. i thought I would make WDS and with normal RJ45 cable connect Raspi #2 to the Internet through the second router.

I'm quite afraid to buy USB Wi-Fi dongle, since I'm not sure if signal would be enough and because I'm quite new to linux and I'm afraid I would not be able to connect the dongle correctly.

Any ideas how I can solve this (cheaply if possible). Or anybody know how to make WDS functional between these two routers ?

Allycat

Re: XMBC, WDS and much more ...

Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:41 pm

How About Network Power Plugs

BerryPicker

Re: XMBC, WDS and much more ...

Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Cool.Majkl wrote:Any ideas how I can solve this?
I use a 'TP-LINK 150Mbit/s Wireless N Access Point' in the TV room. It connects to the router wireless, and to the Pi with an ethernet cable, so you can position it where the signal is strongest. As it has a 5dBi wi-fi aerial, it can work in places where a wi-fi dongle cannot. It comes with its own power supply so avoids both the Pi's sensitivity to USB and to power demands. You may need to use another computer to set the TP-LINK in client mode before connecting it to the Pi.

Return to “Beginners”