haxr3

Can't enter password in raspbian.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi there, I've turned my pi on for the first time today and tried to load raspbian. I get to entering username: pi. Then I try to enter the password: raspberry, the cursor doesn't move and even if I just type it and press enter I am still told "incorrect password", what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

RobHenry

Re: Can't enter password in raspbian.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 pm

It is normal for the cursor not to blink or move - type the password in blind.

It may be that your keyboard is not working correctly, try typing raspberry in place of the user name just to check the keys are working correctly and not repeating or anything horrible like that. If that works then re-enter the user name as pi and type the password really carefully.

haxr3

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Just tried that: "Login incorrect"

RobHenry

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 pm

by haxr3 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:48 pm
Just tried that: "Login incorrect"
Did you try to log on as 'raspberry' user? I meant just type it to check the keyboard works correctly, then log in as 'pi' if it appears ok.

Jim JKla

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:03 pm

if you are absolutely shure you are typing it right and it is still not working re-image your SD and try again. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

haxr3

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Typing it perfectly, reimaging the sd card now...

haxr3

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Same error still?! what am I doing wrong!?!?

Jim JKla

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:38 pm

type raspberry at the login and make sure you have not got some sort of stuck key on your keyboard note you are not entering it as an option just using it to check all your keys are working on your keyboard.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

RobHenry

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:39 pm

If your keyboard is working then I'm afraid to say you must be typing it incorrectly. ;)

You don't have caps on or anything silly like that do you?

Jim JKla

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:46 pm

If it's still failing try a blind login instructions here http://elinux.org/RPi_A_Method_for_ssh_blind_login you need to get past login and password this method bypasses the USB and therfore a directlyattached keyboard and mouse. ;)

Joe Schmoe

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:30 pm

haxr3 wrote:Same error still?! what am I doing wrong!?!?
Something - but we have run out of time for guessing games (and I mean that in the best possible way).

Here's another thing to try - based on the init=/bin/sh trick. Note that in this post, I am both giving information and asking for it. Others are welcome to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

Steps:
1) Put the SD card in your Windows PC and it should get a drive letter (say, E:) This drive letter will be for the "boot" partition in the Pi world. Use an editor on the Windows side to edit E:cmdline.txt and append the following string to the end of the line (it must all be one long line):

<space>init=/bin/sh

Save and exit. Remove the card.

2) Put the SD card into the Pi and fire it up. It will boot to a plain, bare shell (with no login or password prompts). Note: When I did this, I had to hit <enter> to get the # prompt to appear.
You will find yourself in a shell prompt, with minimal system setup having been done. In particular, /proc isn't mounted, so a lot of normal stuff doesn't work - until you mount it.

3) At the # prompt, do (first two are not strictly necessary, but they help):
a) mount -t proc none /proc
b) cat /proc/partitions
c) vi /etc/inittab (or nano if you are so inclined) - find the line that contains the word "noclear" and put the string " -a pi" after it. Save & exit. Note, the line should look like:

Code: Select all

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear -a pi 38400 tty1
d) mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot
e) vi /boot/cmdline.txt (or nano, if you prefer) - remove the " init=/bin/sh".
f) umount /boot;sync;sync;sync

Now, here's the funny part. I had a bit of difficulty figuring out how to reboot from this environment. None of my usual methods (init 6, reboot, shutdown -r now) worked - because the normal "init" process isn't running. What does work is: shutdown -rn now

Anyway, once you do the "shutdown -rn now", it should reboot and leave you logged in as "pi" on tty1. Then you can figure out why it didn't work before. Maybe there is something wrong with your keyboard. But at any rate, this gets you up & running.

And, no, I don't recommend "un-do-ing" this process. I find the auto-login a good, permanent feature.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Jim JKla

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:33 pm

Joe can you stick that in a wiki page so we can just post a link to it if we need it sometime. ;)

Return to “Beginners”