Justinnp

Copying hard drive

Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:15 am

Hi there,

I am running a raspberry pi 3b+ home automation on a hdd hard drive as boot and storage location.
The used space is around 30gb and disk size is 150gb. Now I want to switch to SSD. I tried cloning the disk using acronis or easeus, would be the easiest way.
Yet when trying to do that. Acronis/easeus on windows sees used space 150gb which is not true. My new SSD is 120gb so it won't clone it (due to space according to easeus which is not true because used is only 30gb).
I know this has something to do with raspbian and windows.

But is there a alternative way to clone the current hdd disk to the new ssd?
I have got some more raspberry pi's laying around so I can use them if that would be easier then changing stuff in windows.

Thanks in advance!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Copying hard drive

Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:42 am

Justinnp wrote:
Hi there,

I am running a raspberry pi 3b+ home automation on a hdd hard drive as boot and storage location.
The used space is around 30gb and disk size is 150gb. Now I want to switch to SSD. I tried cloning the disk using acronis or easeus, would be the easiest way.
Yet when trying to do that. Acronis/easeus on windows sees used space 150gb which is not true. My new SSD is 120gb so it won't clone it (due to space according to easeus which is not true because used is only 30gb).

I have got some more raspberry pi's laying around so I can use them if that would be easier then changing stuff in windows.

Thanks in advance!

Raspberry Pi with Desktop Operating System includes SD Card Copier, which can actually clone USB Drives if plugged into the same Raspberry Pi SBC and are fully recognised.
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machine is a ChromeBox

LTolledo

Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:00 am

I've cloned a hard drive to another hard using the SD card copier...
as well as HDD to microSD
and microSD to HDD/SSD
and of course microSD to microSD....

...even if the source target is not necessarily RPiOS....

w$ systems have been booted-out of the loop...
....which is a good thing...
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Justinnp

Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:10 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:42 am
Justinnp wrote:
Hi there,

Thanks in advance!

Raspberry Pi with Desktop Operating System includes SD Card Copier, which can actually clone USB Drives if plugged into the same Raspberry Pi SBC and are fully recognised.

Correct, didn't think of that. Thank you!

Do you have some experience with rsync? I want to backup my pi to a second ssd which will be a complete copy/mirror of the running (first ssd).
This should be done a few times a day and only copy the newest/changed files.

Justinnp

Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:11 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:00 am
I've cloned a hard drive to another hard using the SD card copier...
as well as HDD to microSD
and microSD to HDD/SSD
and of course microSD to microSD....

...even if the source target is not necessarily RPiOS....

w$ systems have been booted-out of the loop...
....which is a good thing...
Thank you for the help!
I have another question can you take a look at it? I responded one comment earlier

thagrol

Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:49 pm

Justinnp wrote:
Nope it has to do with two different measuers of used space.

30GB (not gb, that's something else entirely) is the measure of how much of the filesystem is in use. 150GB as reported by Acronis/easeus is the amount of raw disc space you have allocated to partitions. IIRC free versions of Acronis/easeus will copy to a same size or larger disc but won't copy to a smaller one.

Use a different tool or reduce the size of your ext4 partition before trying the copy/clone. That'll need an SD to boot your Pi from as it isn't possible to resize a partition while it's mounted.
Arguing with strangers on the internet since 1993.

Return to “Beginners”