hanna

2 general questions

Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:09 am

hey all -
1) best remote access set-up for a linux noob - SSH or tightvnc?
2) after weeks of tweeking my set-up, i finally have it just about the way i need it - what's the best way to back up my current SD card configuration?

thanks!

btw - this forum has been very useful and i'm glad it's here :D

JPB-HK

Re: 2 general questions

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:34 am

I am also a noob, so maybe not the best qualified to answer. But I will share with you what I am using.

1) for command line, I use SSH through PuTTY on Windows 7. For LXDE (startx) I use Windows Remote Desktop Connection. Both are over the network.

2) To back up a complete SD card configuration, I use Win32DiskImager. The advantage and disadvantage of this is that it saves the complete image. This will re-create your SD card completely. But takes up 4GB, 8GB, or however large your SD card is.
I also back up my C program directory from Raspberry Pi regularly on my NAS drive. You can also use a utility such as DiskInternals to read the SD card in Windows and export or save a directory to your Windows system.

John
NCR 310 - ZX81 - Apple II+ - Dell/Intel - Mac mini... Raspberry Pi!

ghans

Re: 2 general questions

Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:45 am

You can safely zip those images , they get a lot smaller.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Beginners”