jan.fri

Raspberry Pi 4 as server - How to connect to public static IP?

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:10 pm

Hello,

I am planning to use Raspberry Pi as a small server for my Django app. Everything is ready except that my server should be visibile to the world. From ISP I got one additional static IP, that looks something like that:

Static IP address: A.B.C.D
Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway: A.B.0.1

Now I am interested how to setup Raspberry Pi 4 to use that IP. I tried by configuring file

Code: Select all

/etc/dhcpcd.conf
:

as following:

interface wlan0
static ip_address=A.B.C.D/16
static routers=A.B.0.1
static domain_name_servers=A.B.0.1 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1

But following configuration does not work. Note that I am connected over wifi to ISP device that act as modem and router. On that device I don't have any options to connect specific MAC to specific IP.

Thank for answers in advance

neilgl

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 as server - How to connect to public static IP?

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:28 pm

Usually you will use port forwarding in the router to forward ports (e.g. port 80) not MAC, to your pi and have a domain name (Paid or free) that links to the ip of your router via DNS. The rest of the world uses the domain name (e.g. www.example.com).

kartable

Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:34 pm

As a beginner I can't halp you very much, but do you know https://github.com/billz/raspap-webgui ? I hope it can help.

drgeoff

Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:15 pm

jan.fri wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:10 pm
Hello,

I am planning to use Raspberry Pi as a small server for my Django app. Everything is ready except that my server should be visibile to the world. From ISP I got one additional static IP, that looks something like that:

Static IP address: A.B.C.D
Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway: A.B.0.1

Now I am interested how to setup Raspberry Pi 4 to use that IP. I tried by configuring file

/etc/dhcpcd.conf
:

as following:

interface wlan0
static ip_address=A.B.C.D/16
static routers=A.B.0.1
static domain_name_servers=A.B.0.1 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1

But following configuration does not work. Note that I am connected over wifi to ISP device that act as modem and router. On that device I don't have any options to connect specific MAC to specific IP.

Thank for answers in advance
If the ISP device is a modem router then you cannot give the RPi the public address. You set the IP parameters of the RPi appropriately for the private side of the router and add a port forwarding rule to the router.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Return to “Beginners”