pietchaki

Pi Zero W dead USB ideas?

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:04 am

Hi,
I've got a used raspberry Pi Zero W, was going to use it for OctoPrint.
It's working, just the USB is dead.

I've followed some threads on this issue here, and this is what I found until now:
Boots normally, using Raspbian with WLAN pre-configured, and then I can SSH into it, everything looks OK. Also have a camera attached on CSI connector, works fine in octoprint.
Using only an OTG adapter (Micro USB to female USB-A), tried connecting a keyboard, mouse, usb drive, and a simple USB HUB, none seems to work. Devices get power but apparently no data.
Command "lsusb" lists only the HUB: "Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub" even with other devices connected.
Command "dmesg" don't produce anything after I plug new devices.
Tried the idea to connect the Pi to a computer, using simple USB cable, but windows don't recognize anything new.
I have noticed that D+ on the USB is shorted to GND when Pi is off, don't know if it's normal.
Lacking good ideas I tried bulding a simple micro USB to Female USB (not OTG, ID pin is not shorted to GND), but nothing different happened...

Is there any thing I could try to make use of this Pi?
Could it be usable emulating USB on GPIO pins to connect it to a 3d printer?

fd_

Re: Pi Zero W dead USB ideas?

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:51 am

Are you sure you're using the micro USB port labelled 'USB' on the Pi Zero W and not the one labelled 'PWR'? Only the one labelled 'USB' can be used as an USB OTG port, the other is only for powering the Pi. This might seem obvious, but IIRC, this was the issue in a very similar thread.

pietchaki

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:35 pm

fd_ wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:51 am
Are you sure you're using the micro USB port labelled 'USB' on the Pi Zero W and not the one labelled 'PWR'? Only the one labelled 'USB' can be used as an USB OTG port, the other is only for powering the Pi. This might seem obvious, but IIRC, this was the issue in a very similar thread.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that I'm powering the device via the "POWER" input and trying to use data on the "USB" port.
That's the first thing asked in every post about pi zero problems here, and was the first thing I looked for when my keyboard didn't show up...

Also, I forgot to mention, but when I tested that D+ is shorted to GND, I had powered off and disconnected everything from the Pi, Tested using the test pads. Also used the multimeter to test for continuity from the test pads to the end of OSB OTG adapter, and seems fine .

Anyway, I found out I can connect to my printer using serial on GPIO pins, no need to emulate USB. I'm not sure how to do that yet, but as soon as I figure everything out, I'll post here too.

thagrol

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:09 pm

pietchaki wrote:
Anyway, I found out I can connect to my printer using serial on GPIO pins, no need to emulate USB. I'm not sure how to do that yet, but as soon as I figure everything out, I'll post here too.
I beleive there are such things as SPI to USB host chipsets. I've never used them though and don't have any links for them to hand. Even if you can get one to work I doubt it'll support more than USB Full Speed (12Mbps).
Arguing with strangers on the internet since 1993.

All advice given is based on my experience. it worked for me, it may not work for you.
All GPIO pin numbers are BCM numbers.

rpdom

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:06 pm

pietchaki wrote:
Also, I forgot to mention, but when I tested that D+ is shorted to GND, I had powered off and disconnected everything from the Pi, Tested using the test pads.
Yeah, that's not good. I put a test meter on one of my Zeroes (nothing connected) and there was no continuity to ground there.
Unreadable squiggle

drgeoff

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:18 pm

pietchaki wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:04 am
Hi,
I've got a used raspberry Pi Zero W
Maybe now you know why it isn't still with its first user.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

pietchaki

Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:07 am

pietchaki wrote:
Yes, I'm pretty sure that I'm powering the device via the "POWER" input and trying to use data on the "USB" port.
That's the first thing asked in every post about pi zero problems here, and was the first thing I looked for when my keyboard didn't show up...
I realized I was a bit harsh in this sentence, sorry for that, was not my intention.
thagrol wrote: I beleive there are such things as SPI to USB host chipsets. I've never used them though and don't have any links for them to hand. Even if you can get one to work I doubt it'll support more than USB Full Speed (12Mbps).
I searched a little and found this FT232H, but it costs almost the same as a new Pi Zero W...
Then I remembered that there are those USB to serial adapters to use with Arduino, like the CP2102, and it seems to work, as explained here.
drgeoff wrote: Maybe now you know why it isn't still with its first user.
Yeah... but was a gift, so I can't ask for refund... Maybe I can, but I shouldn't.

Return to “Beginners”