jalba

Setting up Ad-Hoc Network

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to raspberry pi and Linux, so please excuse my inexperience.

I am attempting to set up an ad-hoc network between my pi and my computer so that I can take them out into the field and maintain a connection between the two. Has anyone ever had success with this? I have tried a couple of things including updating the interfaces file (/etc/network/interfaces), but I haven't got it to work. I have also read on a few other forums that with the newer release of Debian buster, the interfaces file is not used for this, but instead the dhcpcd.conf file. I got my static IP address set up in the dhcpcd.conf file, but not sure how to set up the ad-hoc network using this file.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

epoch1970

Re: Setting up Ad-Hoc Network

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:26 am

In raspios:
Wireless configuration goes to /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
IP configuration goes to /etc/dhcpcd.conf
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

pfletch101

Re: Setting up Ad-Hoc Network

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:53 pm

If your non-Pi computer is running a recent version of Windows 10, you will not be able to set up a regular 'ad hoc' WiFi network, because MS has declared them to be insecure and won't allow you to link to something that isn't a WiFi Access Point. I think that there is a workaround for this which requires that the Windows computer be set up to share the internet (notionally connected via the computer's ethernet port), but will allow the two systems to communicate even if nothing is connected to that port. I have no personal experience of this.

Return to “Beginners”