frantal
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 7:48 am

Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 7:56 am

I have 2 Raspberry B ver.2.0 (512MB RAM) I tried to install Raspbian (Buster) and Kali, but they are so slow that it is impossible to use them. What do you suggest to continue to use these 2 Raspberries? Any suggestion of which software could I install to let them still in life? Thanks for the suggestions!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 27417
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 8:12 am

Whatever project can be run from the command line would probably be fine. Get rid the desktop completely. Saves a load of memory and CPU cycles. Using the legacy graphics driver would also makes things a bit quicker - the newer DRM/MESA drivers requires 1GB RAM.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Heater
Posts: 16844
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 8:31 am

jamesh wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:12 am
- the newer DRM/MESA drivers requires 1GB RAM.
Ouch! How did that happen?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 24504
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 8:31 am

frantal wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:56 am
I have 2 Raspberry B ver.2.0 (512MB RAM) I tried to install Raspbian (Buster) and Kali, but they are so slow that it is impossible to use them. What do you suggest to continue to use these 2 Raspberries? Any suggestion of which software could I install to let them still in life? Thanks for the suggestions!

TinyCoreLinux:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.ph ... ,57.0.html


Raspbian Buster Lite with Minimal Kiosk Browser as a front end:

viewtopic.php?t=40860


LibreElec if need a Multimedia Operating System:

https://libreelec.tv/about/


Retropie if need a retro gaming Operating System:

https://retropie.org.uk/
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

mikerr
Posts: 2826
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 9:06 am

Plenty of use left in them, mainly for non desktop duties.
As headless servers, or media players.

Remember pi zero is effectively same spec as pi 1 in terms of ram and cpu.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

AcmeUK
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 am

I have an old model B.
It runs DietPi_v150_RPi-armv6-(Jessie) quite happily.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 27417
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 10:49 am

Heater wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:31 am
jamesh wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:12 am
- the newer DRM/MESA drivers requires 1GB RAM.
Ouch! How did that happen?
Perhaps requires is the wrong word. How about doesn't work very well with less than 1GB RAM?

As for why? It's all upstream code, best ask them.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

drgeoff
Posts: 11238
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 12:02 pm

mikerr wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:06 am
Plenty of use left in them, mainly for non desktop duties.
As headless servers, or media players.

Remember pi zero is effectively same spec as pi 1 in terms of ram and cpu.
Zeros have twice the RAM of the first Model Bs.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

LTolledo
Posts: 4115
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am
Location: Anime Heartland

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 12:44 pm

same as this one?
RPiB_KodiMediaPlayer_DIYCase-Open.jpg
RPiB_KodiMediaPlayer_DIYCase-Open.jpg (191.25 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
(in old DIY case)
RPi1B DAC HAT in new DIY case open.jpg
RPi1B DAC HAT in new DIY case open.jpg (197.48 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
(this is the updated DIY case)


used it as Kodi Media Player... for watching videos (up to 5.1ch encoded 1080p videos)
controlled via old smartphone Kodi app (Kore)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

DirkS
Posts: 10446
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 12:47 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:02 pm
mikerr wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:06 am
Plenty of use left in them, mainly for non desktop duties.
As headless servers, or media players.

Remember pi zero is effectively same spec as pi 1 in terms of ram and cpu.
Zeros have twice the RAM of the first Model Bs.
But then OP has already stated he has the 512MB model

User avatar
mooblie
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:07 pm
Location: The Scottish Highlands

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 1:40 pm

Would Pihole work? Worth investigating:

https://pi-hole.net/

User avatar
scruss
Posts: 3492
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact: Website

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 2:04 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:44 pm
same as this one?
That's got mounting holes. The very first ones didn't. Not that that would make 'em faster — unless you were throwing them, I suppose.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.
Pronouns: he/him

DarkElvenAngel
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 2:33 pm

mooblie wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:40 pm
Would Pihole work? Worth investigating:

https://pi-hole.net/
I have pi hole, pivpn running on a B+ same idea as a B just more GPIO and usb ports

Idahowalker
Posts: 569
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Re: Old Raspberries...

Thu May 14, 2020 2:55 pm

I have a RPi3b that I let run as a community service by running a few BOINC https://boinc.berkeley.edu/ thingies.
Idaho, U.S.A.

hippy
Posts: 8543
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Old Raspberries...

Fri May 15, 2020 11:57 am

Idahowalker wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:55 pm
I have a RPi3b that I let run as a community service by running a few BOINC https://boinc.berkeley.edu/ thingies.
But hardly relevant for someone asking about what to do with their original model Pi's.

boyoh
Posts: 1526
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:30 pm
Location: Selby. North Yorkshire .UK

Re: Old Raspberries...

Tue May 19, 2020 3:11 pm

Plenty of life in the Old Pi , If you use it as it was intended to do That was to learn Coding and Electronics.
Why buy a more powerful modal, when you have not mastered the first one, Why buy something then stick it in
a fancy box with a couple fans ,and not knowing how to use it . They read up what the Pi can do, then that is as fare
thy get, They learn coding in a few weeks , then they think , that is all thy need to Know,, In time there will be more
Coders than Electronic Engineers

My advice is get the bread board out and learn ,some basic electronics , It is far more fun to see your project work
There are a lot of good men on the forum who give you good advice , and point you in the right direction.

Regards BoyOh Retired Electrical / Electronic Technician
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

Return to “Beginners”