Tech7

Controlling a recirculating pump

Mon May 04, 2020 3:52 am

I have a hot water recirculating pump that only has a 24 hour timer. I would like to create an interface so that I can run the pump at different times on different days - like a lawn sprinkler controller. Is this possible? I am new to this community and would appreciate any help/point me in the right direction.

Strongsoul

Re: Controlling a recirculating pump

Thu May 28, 2020 8:52 am

Tech7 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:52 am
I have a hot water recirculating pump that only has a 24 hour timer. I would like to create an interface so that I can run the pump at different times on different days - like a lawn sprinkler controller. Is this possible? I am new to this community and would appreciate any help/point me in the right direction.
I'm not an expert, but I know there are special sprinklers with sensors and timers, I believe you may just buy one of them?

scotty101

Re: Controlling a recirculating pump

Thu May 28, 2020 9:18 am

Strongsoul wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:52 am
I'm not an expert, but I know there are special sprinklers with sensors and timers, I believe you may just buy one of them?
Seconded.

Yes this could be done with a Raspberry Pi but given that the pump is probably mains powered and certainly involves water, this is not something a hobbyist should do. Buy a suitably IP (Ingress Protection) rated timer device designed for this purpose.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Return to “Beginners”