hanna

how to set up pi on windows home network?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:48 am

hey all - finally got my pi up and running after various connectivity adventures...on to my next fiasco: i have a home network consisting of all xp boxes - how do i configure the pi to have a shared folder that can see and be seen on my Windows home network (smb)?

tried to search this topic but maybe i'm not wording it correctly....if there's a tutorial out there, i'd love to hear about it.

thanks!

pluggy

Re: how to set up pi on windows home network?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:21 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software)

http://simonthepiman.com/how_to_setup_w ... server.php

putting "raspberry pi samba" into google will yield lots of clues.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

hanna

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:26 pm

pluggy wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software)

http://simonthepiman.com/how_to_setup_w ... server.php

putting "raspberry pi samba" into google will yield lots of clues.
\

i subsequently found that out - and found Simon in the process. great stuff - thanks!

hanna

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:05 pm

ok, one more question and that's it, i swear....

i want the public folder to be accessible as a desktop shortcut - i can't seem to find out how to do this...any suggestions?

thanks!

pluggy

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:40 am

'Public Folder' sounds a bit late version Windoze to me. Its not something I associate with Linux. Theres nothing to stop you making a folder somewhere, giving it the relevant permissions and telling samba to share it as 'public' . Then you make a shortcut on windows pointing to the network share. I'm way rusty on samba, I used to use it on a regular basis when I was a network manager. I've been out of the loop for over 3 years now.

I spend my days mending laptop screens and delousing pensioners windoze boxes these days.....

Once you've got samba running to some degree on the Pi, you can dispense with the raspberry pi bit in google searches. Configuring samba isn't unique to the Pi. very little in Linux is.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

hanna

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:28 pm

thanks, pluggy...but i don't think i made my question clear: i want to access my shared folder (named "public") from an icon on the Pi desktop, rather than having to open Filemanager and typing the path /home/share/public or smb://raspberrypi/public to get to it. basically, how do i create a desktop shortcut to my folder? i've researched this elsewhere and the method seems to vary depending on the distro.

jfornango

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:59 pm

You can open Filemanager (one time, I swear), save the location as a Favorite then copy the favorite to the desktop, *or*

1. open terminal or konsole
2. use the command ln -s TARGET /home/username/Desktop/linkname..
3. it create a shortcut with name linkname! refresh your desktop to see the short cut.

(pulled that little stunt from linuxforums.org. great for scripting desktop creation)
I'm only wearing black until they find something darker.

hanna

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 am

thanks - i had sort of stumbled my way through this before i saw your reply, but thanks for posting it!

Return to “Beginners”