Rusakko

Using ipad as screen with ssh

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:36 pm

I have an idea that i could use my ipad as monitor for raspberry pi in emulators and other programs. The problem is that example those emulators are not run under X but straight from console. I can connect with ssh, that is not a problem, but only in console. But is it possible to show programs that have gui with ssh? Or can i use some vnc program without starting X at the raspberry.

This could be handy when there are no tv available. Of course it would require frame rate to be atleast good. Any ideas, or is this a dumb one?

Jim JKla

Re: Using ipad as screen with ssh

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Yes but expect extreeeeeeeeeme slowwwwwwwwwnnnnneeeeessssss & maximum Lagggggggggggg. ;)

Noob guides here

http://elinux.org/RPi_A_Method_for_ssh_blind_login ssh blind login

http://elinux.org/RPi_Wheezy_VNC tight VNC

On a technicallity the x is running on the Raspberry you just don't need a screen
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

cmatthews

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:52 am

This works well with iSSH on the iPad. It supports X forwarding, which from my experience is faster than VNC. The controls aren't super intuitive in desktop mode but no worse than Citrix receiver is on the iPad. I do personally tend to stick with a simple terminal over SSH most of the time unless I really need a GUI.
www.mydominion.co.uk

nathansuchy

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:58 am

I don't think you can get a GUI over SSH (If your using for security just connect over a local ip it is secure enough) however I run a VNC Server on my Pi and connect from my iPad too I use Wyse PocketCloud Pro (It costs $14.99 but they have a free limited version but I paid to support their development) personaly I run tightvncserver as x11vnc is slugish but the only disadvantage on tightvncserver is that it acts as a seperate screen :-( however good luck :)

Rusakko

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:45 pm

cmatthews wrote:This works well with iSSH on the iPad. It supports X forwarding, which from my experience is faster than VNC. The controls aren't super intuitive in desktop mode but no worse than Citrix receiver is on the iPad. I do personally tend to stick with a simple terminal over SSH most of the time unless I really need a GUI.
X forwarding is just what i was thinking
Is there a guide page for this, or could you take screenshot from your settings or something like this?

Thanks

cmatthews

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:23 pm

I have written some of that down, but mainly for my own record and comes with no warranty: http://www.mydominion.co.uk/?p=164

It doesn't explicitly cover X11 forwarding to the iPad, but it does cover X forwarding in general as well as settings for using iSSH from the iPad to the RPi. Once you have ssh running, its easy to access the x window by tapping the X logo in the top right hand corner of the 'Active Connections' screen.
www.mydominion.co.uk

chorlton2080

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi folks

Can anyone offer help with the settings on the Android version of Wyse's PocketCloud VNC app in order for it to work with TightVNC on my RPi? I can VNC from my Windows box and have no problem with SSH-ing a console on the Android tablet.

There appear only two connection types: Windows and Mac; I used both but assumed the Mac would be equivalent since it's based on the Linux core. The error received is "Could not connect to server"; yet TightVNC is running and I am connected to one session via my PC.

I'm using:

Nickname: Pi (tried leaving blank)
Host Address: my LAN, without ":1"
Username: Pi (tried leaving blank)
Password: The one I set on TightVNC
Port: I'm using 5900, since this appears to be the default... I suspect this could be the issue, but how to now?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

chorlton2080

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:48 pm

I answered my own question: I needed to choose port 5901.

How should I have realised this? Please assist a Linux noobie!

Jim JKla

Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:02 pm

That would have been here

http://elinux.org/RPi_Wheezy_VNC

The page I pointed out for you earlier. ;)

I've added a clarification that it's the same port from a Mac
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

RedRedKrovy

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:03 am

I to tried to do this same exact thing, I would SSH into the Raspi and then start vncserver, back out of SSH and connect via VNC. The problem I ran into is that I could only use a keyboard that was connected to my iPad. I couldn't find a way to use a keyboard and mouse connected to the Raspi itself. I tried a couple of commands (cat was one) to try and forward my mouse and keyboard input to the SSH and VNC sessions but nothing worked. I posted a topic about it but no one ever responded so I finally gave up. Good luck!

Jim JKla

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:02 am

Small snag with any posting in this forum is the turnover posting once and hoping someone will respond quickly relies on someone with the right knowledge seeing your post in the brief period that its high on the list.

If when you post a question and it's not been responded too there is a distinct advantage in either dropping a link in a related post or even the epediency of giving it a bump back up the list with a double or tripple post.

Obviously this is not the best method for the forum but it clearly helps find answers.

There are obviously optimum times and the inverse is true posting a question Monday afternoon gives it all week to be burried under a pile of layter questions before there is a gang around over the weekend.

With this in mind RedRedKrovy I am now going to look for a link to your original post becuse I am sure this is worth investigating because I am sure I have had an SSH connection running from my PC while entering data directly on a x window on the RPi, This was while I was researching the WiFi dongle.

Return to “Beginners”