manav.chugh

Not able to set wireless access point for Raspberry Pi 3 B+ model

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:57 pm

Hey all, I am a newbie to raspberry pi, I just purchased a raspberry pi 3 B+ model with WiFi on Board. I have been trying to configure the WAP for the pi. But i keep failing at two steps given in the documentation.

I have the Raspbian Buster Lite OS installed. I can easily ssh into the pi having the wifi enabled through the wpa_supplicant.conf file. I have been following the steps clearly given in the documentation but cannot understand why this is happening.

The two commands are:

$ sudo systemctl start hostapd
Job for hostapd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status hostapd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
$

$ iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.ipv4.nat
iptables-restore v1.8.2 (nf_tables): Chain 'MASQUERADE' does not exist
Error occurred at line: 7
Try `iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more information.

I have checked my conf files and the new hostapd files that have been added and I see no typos. What could be the issue then? Can someone help me troubleshoot this issue? If more details are needed please let me know. :)

B.Goode

Re: Not able to set wireless access point for Raspberry Pi 3 B+ model

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:29 am

manav.chugh wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:57 pm
Hey all, I am a newbie to raspberry pi, I just purchased a raspberry pi 3 B+ model with WiFi on Board. I have been trying to configure the WAP for the pi. But i keep failing at two steps given in the documentation.

I have the Raspbian Buster Lite OS installed. I can easily ssh into the pi having the wifi enabled through the wpa_supplicant.conf file. I have been following the steps clearly given in the documentation but cannot understand why this is happening.

The two commands are:

$ sudo systemctl start hostapd
Job for hostapd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status hostapd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
$

$ iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.ipv4.nat
iptables-restore v1.8.2 (nf_tables): Chain 'MASQUERADE' does not exist
Error occurred at line: 7
Try `iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more information.

I have checked my conf files and the new hostapd files that have been added and I see no typos. What could be the issue then? Can someone help me troubleshoot this issue? If more details are needed please let me know. :)

" I have been following the steps clearly given in the documentation "

Please cite the documentation you are following.

"$ sudo systemctl start hostapd
See "systemctl status hostapd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details."

.... and what is the output from the suggested information-providing commands?

manav.chugh

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:45 am

Hey Thanks for your reply. I have been following these steps -> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

There isn't any output to expect visually. It is just simple command starting the service. after this command -> sudo systemctl start hostapd, i get the error.

i checked the status using $ sudo systemctl status hostapd.service. and that is giving an error as well.

That's the only information provided and that's what I have been doing.

manav.chugh

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:55 am

Also after the following command $sudo service dhcpcd restart, when configuring the static IP, the terminal becomes inactive. I have tried multiple times to ssh back into it, but I fail. SO I have been skipping this step. Cause regardless at the end I have to reboot, which should start the service. I do not if it has any impact but this is/was an obstacle as well and I skipped this command and then experiencing the further error following the documentation.

Here is the link again. -> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s-point.md

B.Goode

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 am

I tried to help by suggesting away of providing information that might be relevant to volunteer helpers able to assist. Time is too precious at the moment to be playing guessing games. I am withdrawing from the discussion.

TheoPA3DSS

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:46 am

I use this script:
https://github.com/idev1/rpihotspot
I have installed it several times, works very well and it's easy.

manav.chugh

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:34 pm

hey @TheoPA3DSS thanks for the post. Appreciate it. :)

I started with a clean setup again. Setup the OS on the sd card, created a ssh and wpa_supplicant.conf file with the wifi credentials.

Logged successfully into the pi and did the following commands.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt install git
git --version
sudo git clone https://github.com/idev1/rpihotspot.git
sudo sudo ./setup-network.sh --install-upgrade --ap-ssid="abc-1" --ap-password="password@1" --ap-password-encrypt --ap-ip-address="192.168.4.2" --wifi-interface="wlan0"

when I run the script, it breaks the connection in between and I get an error "Putty Fatal Error" Popup.

did you ever face something like this? Any resolution steps or sth I am doing wrong?

you can go the image I have attached and see the error. Let me know man, don't know why this isn't working :cry:
Attachments
Capture9.PNG
Capture9.PNG (76.74 KiB) Viewed 436 times

manav.chugh

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:10 am

so I solved that issue. These are the output last in the terminal not all the lines but just the last one's

[Install]: DONE
[Reboot]: In 10 seconds ...

Broadcast message from root@raspberrypi (pts/1) (Fri Mar 27 07:57:46 2020):
The system is going down for reboot NOW!

Once it reboots, the terminal is inactive. But the network name doesn't come up yet. I have waited for 15 min. Any thoughts on might be happening?

sora03

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:59 am

manav.chugh wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:10 am
so I solved that issue. These are the output last in the terminal not all the lines but just the last one's

[Install]: DONE
[Reboot]: In 10 seconds ...

Broadcast message from root@raspberrypi (pts/1) (Fri Mar 27 07:57:46 2020):
The system is going down for reboot NOW!

Once it reboots, the terminal is inactive. But the network name doesn't come up yet. I have waited for 15 min. Any thoughts on might be happening?
you should plug in your mouse, keyboard and monitor to try to solve the issue manually.
Or plug in your ethernet cable to your pi and ssh to it. Find the IP from your WiFi Router.
Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@ssora

TheoPA3DSS

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:26 am

Well, my experience is that first the Pi is booting after the install, then booting again by command, i don't no why but it seems you have to boot 2 times in total after the install.

Return to “Beginners”