Rcayot

Pi Zero W which OS?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:36 pm

I recently purchased a Pi Zero W, and set it up with a full blown raspbian install. I think this was a mistake as it is dreadfully slow.

Upon running setup again, which version should I choose. I REALLY don't want just the shell for an interface.

Thanks,

Roger

DougieLawson

Re: Pi Zero W which OS?

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:11 pm

It IS slow and changing the base OS won't make a jot of difference (it's slightly overclocked from the original RPi1B) but it's still only one BCM2835 core with 512MB. If you want fast get a RPi4B.

One thing that makes it very slow is swapping to SDCard. You really do not want to do that, so don't over commit RAM with bloatware (like web browsers).

https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/ ... benchmarks
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Rcayot

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:22 pm

I see. Is there a performance benefit to installing Buster with desktop and no software?

I am having a bit of trouble finding out info on the NOOBS options.

Thanks,
Roger

B.Goode

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:40 pm

Rcayot wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:22 pm
I see. Is there a performance benefit to installing Buster with desktop and no software?

I am having a bit of trouble finding out info on the NOOBS options.

Thanks,
Roger

NOOBS is simply an Installer. It doesn't have any options that will have any bearing on the performance of your bottom-of-the-range RPiZero board.

Your decision is about which of the 3 variants of the Raspbian Buster Operating System to install. https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

If you want a GUI Desktop then you don't want Lite.

If you want a GUI Desktop but no useful pre-installed software to run, then choose 'Buster with desktop'

But if you want the out-of-the-box, ready to run, 'batteries included' experience, choose 'Raspbian Buster with desktop and recommended software'

Simple.

That deals with the Raspberry Pi recommended and supported Raspbian Operating System. Other third-party, less well supported, options are also available.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:02 pm

Rcayot wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:36 pm
I recently purchased a Pi Zero W, and set it up with a full blown raspbian install. I think this was a mistake as it is dreadfully slow.

Upon running setup again, which version should I choose. I REALLY don't want just the shell for an interface.

Thanks,

Roger

An alternative, though not as fully featured, is Tiny Core Linux with Desktop:

https://iotbyhvm.ooo/picore-tiny-core-l ... pberry-pi/
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines are a ChromeBox & Intel CoreDuo Desktop

Return to “Beginners”