Re: "Introducing Raspberry Pi Imager, our new imaging utility"

Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:42 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:00 pm
BerndGaykema wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:48 pm
fbe wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:53 pm
Couldn't imager also be used to write Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop images to a USB drive?
Same here. I use a RPi 3 with a USB device instead of a SD card.
Now I can't prepare the USB device anymore as Imager doesn't see the USB drive.

When trying to download the latest lite-image (to use BalenaEtcher) I have the problem that I can't find this version...

HELP !

Introducing a new tool is fine, but let the old way of working intact until all child-diseases have been overcome!

NoobS and Standalone downloads are still available, nothing has been removed:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

So nothing has changed and not sure what your issue is......
My issue:
The Raspberry Pi Imager does not see a USB-stick to install the image to, BalenaEtcher does.

B.Goode

Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:39 pm

BerndGaykema wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:42 am
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:00 pm
BerndGaykema wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Same here. I use a RPi 3 with a USB device instead of a SD card.
Now I can't prepare the USB device anymore as Imager doesn't see the USB drive.

When trying to download the latest lite-image (to use BalenaEtcher) I have the problem that I can't find this version...

HELP !

Introducing a new tool is fine, but let the old way of working intact until all child-diseases have been overcome!

NoobS and Standalone downloads are still available, nothing has been removed:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

So nothing has changed and not sure what your issue is......
My issue:
The Raspberry Pi Imager does not see a USB-stick to install the image to, BalenaEtcher does.

I'm sure you are reporting the situation as you experience it, and it must be a frustration.

But running this utility on my Compaq CQ62 laptop under Windows 10 Home it does detect a SanDisk Cruzer USB Flash drive and allow me to select it as a target for writing.

There is more going on here than a generic 'it doesn't work.'

alphanumeric

Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:14 pm

Yeah, it works just fine with my el cheapo USB card reader writer. There is no guarantee it will woke with every one out there though. Thats the way it goes some times with stuff like this.

bensimmo

Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:01 pm

My issue:
Report it on github, (link in a previous post)
give details.

flasher702

Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:02 pm

The new imager doesn't seem to work very well. I just spent half the day trying to write images with it and failing. Switched to balenaEtcher and it worked fine. I don't recommend anyone who doesn't want to do troubleshooting to use this software. For the 20 additional seconds of learning curve just download the image and use a better image burning software (and you can then use it for other projects that require burning imaged as well).

~"Failed to Verify" was the most common error message. And that would usually leave me with an SD card with unallocated space. I did manage to get some partially bootable images and unbootable images as well though. I also got error messages that the card was unreadable. I tried two different SD cards and did full formats of the SD cards and tried to check them for errors. And I tried two different images (Raspian streamed, and openPlotterMoitessier that I downloaded) on my desktop. Then switched to my laptop and it wrote the Raspian on the first try without any problems, so I tried openPlotterMoitessier a couple more times and it failed. And I tried Raspian again just to be sure, and it worked again. So, I switched to belenaEtcher and it worked fine and openPlotter is now running and updating. If anyone cares I could replicate it and post more detailed information.

Also, RaspberryPi Imager was very happy to let me burn the .zip archive of the .img file rather than burning the .img file itself. Is it supposed to work this way? At first I was all like "oh, look how smart it is. It's going to extract it for me and make sure I don't do anything stupid." But then I spent the next many hours trying to figure out why nothing works so I have my doubts. It might be wise to not encourage newbies burn .zip archives with RaspberryPi Imager.

gordon77

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:37 pm

Will the downloadable version for 'ubuntu ' work on a Pi running Raspbian ?

The downloadable version says for ubuntu but the github site mentions 'Debian/Ubuntu Linux' if you want to rebuild , are they the same ?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:30 pm

flasher702 wrote:
The new imager doesn't seem to work very well. I just spent half the day trying to write images with it and failing. Switched to balenaEtcher and it worked fine. I don't recommend anyone who doesn't want to do troubleshooting to use this software. For the 20 additional seconds of learning curve just download the image and use a better image burning software (and you can then use it for other projects that require burning imaged as well).

~"Failed to Verify" was the most common error message. And that would usually leave me with an SD card with unallocated space. I did manage to get some partially bootable images and unbootable images as well though. I also got error messages that the card was unreadable. I tried two different SD cards and did full formats of the SD cards and tried to check them for errors. And I tried two different images (Raspian streamed, and openPlotterMoitessier that I downloaded) on my desktop. Then switched to my laptop and it wrote the Raspian on the first try without any problems, so I tried openPlotterMoitessier a couple more times and it failed. And I tried Raspian again just to be sure, and it worked again. So, I switched to belenaEtcher and it worked fine and openPlotter is now running and updating. If anyone cares I could replicate it and post more detailed information.

Also, RaspberryPi Imager was very happy to let me burn the .zip archive of the .img file rather than burning the .img file itself. Is it supposed to work this way? At first I was all like "oh, look how smart it is. It's going to extract it for me and make sure I don't do anything stupid." But then I spent the next many hours trying to figure out why nothing works so I have my doubts. It might be wise to not encourage newbies burn .zip archives with RaspberryPi Imager.
We are aware of the issue, and are looking in to it. Fix should be out soon.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

B.Goode

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:11 pm

jamesh wrote:

Too late for this iteration, but a discretely displayed version number for this utility would be useful during this testing phase...

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:18 pm

B.Goode wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Too late for this iteration, but a discretely displayed version number for this utility would be useful during this testing phase...
Even the usual "Help -> About" page is missing.
That, along with the scary Window installer message make this thing unusable for raw beginners with the current version. It ain't ready for prime time.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

gordon77

Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:35 pm

gordon77 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:37 pm
Will the downloadable version for 'ubuntu ' work on a Pi running Raspbian ?

The downloadable version says for ubuntu but the github site mentions 'Debian/Ubuntu Linux' if you want to rebuild , are they the same ?
Has anyone used the instructions on the github site to build the raspbian version ?

The 'sudo apt install --no-install-recommends .....' gives an error 'Unable to locate package qtbase5-dev'

and

[email protected]:~/imagewriter $ debuild -uc -us gives 'bash: debuild: command not found'

alphanumeric

Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:10 pm

Just booted up from a card I just imaged with this utility. Got as far as the quick setup menu update part. I got a failure message about VNC failed to update. Closed that and clicked the reboot button and everything just froze. Lexar 300X 16GB HC1 This card was working just fine prior to this. Reimaging it as I type this.
My 32 GB Sandisk A1 Micro SD card imaged fine though, as near as I can tell anyway. Got though the quick setup menu and first reboot no problem. Same USB card reader.
I do like this imager, and how it works. Hopefully any issues get sorted out.

jamesh

Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:28 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Just booted up from a card I just imaged with this utility. Got as far as the quick setup menu update part. I got a failure message about VNC failed to update. Closed that and clicked the reboot button and everything just froze. Lexar 300X 16GB HC1 This card was working just fine prior to this. Reimaging it as I type this.
My 32 GB Sandisk A1 Micro SD card imaged fine though, as near as I can tell anyway. Got though the quick setup menu and first reboot no problem. Same USB card reader.
If the device booted and the desktop appeared, which is what I think you mean with the setup menu part, then there is nothing wrong with the imaging part.
alphanumeric wrote:
I do like this imager, and how it works. Hopefully any issues get sorted out.
No need to hope, we always try to fix issues that come up, and this is no different.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:30 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:18 pm
B.Goode wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Even the usual "Help -> About" page is missing.
That, along with the scary Window installer message make this thing unusable for raw beginners with the current version. It ain't ready for prime time.
Not sure we can be blamed for WIndows just being a bit rubbish. Or in this case, money grabbing. We can PAY them to get rid of that box, or we can wait for some time for it to happen naturally.

Will ask about versioning.

pcmanbob

Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:31 pm

Just tried this for the first time using both a zipped freshly download file and a known good img file,

both result in the error , error writing to storage (while flushing) ,

and the SD card is no longer recognised by windows, re-flashing same SD card using good old windisk32 imager results in a successful write and a bootable image.

Desktop PC running windows 7 pro 64 bit using internal SD card reader I have always used.

when I attempted to uninstall this from my pc avast antivirus flagged the uninstaller as a virus !!!!.

I cant in good conscience recommend this to new or experienced users.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

incognitum

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:09 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:31 pm
Desktop PC running windows 7 pro 64 bit using internal SD card reader I have always used.
Could be that your internal SD card reader has an old buggy driver.
Prior to Windows 8 Microsoft apparently did not bother to test if the function drivers are supposed to provide to force flushing writes from memory buffer to storage actually worked when certifying for hardware vendors.

Perhaps other software ignores error codes when flushing.
Technically we could also sweep them under the carpet, but it is not really best practice.
when I attempted to uninstall this from my pc avast antivirus flagged the uninstaller as a virus !!!!.
As what virus?
My guess it is just a warning based on "file reputation".

That is just that you are executing a file that has not been started by many AVG users yet.
Not sure if it's a bad thing not that many people uninstalled it yet. :-)

gsh

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:49 pm

Please update your imager from:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

A bug has been fixed and released this morning...
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

PeterO

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:52 pm

gsh wrote:

Where is the version number ?

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jamesh

Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:37 pm

PeterO wrote:
gsh wrote:

PeterO
Should be something along those lines in the next or next next release.

PeterO

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:03 pm

jamesh wrote:
PeterO wrote:
gsh wrote:

PeterO

Ah, you mean the "latest" release..... We used to get software from a subcontractor that came on a CD, and the code was always in the "latest" directory.... How we laughed !

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

pcmanbob

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:48 pm

incognitum wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:09 pm

Could be that your internal SD card reader has an old buggy driver.
Perhaps other software ignores error codes when flushing.

As what virus?
Well that could be true of say wind32disk imager , but I have also use etcher more than once and that completes the write and does the verification without problems, so no I don't think its a buggy driver problem or it would affect etcher as well.

It did say it had detected a virus , but I did not make a note of what the warning said.

gsh wrote:

The version I was testing was downloaded at 13:00 on 9/3/20
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

mwrich4

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:37 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:59 pm
. . . but if you're running XP, you have bigger problems than that.
'https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... of-support'
End of support is not a big deal for hobbyists. If it works USE it until it dies.

I'm using Win7 which is the new XP. Why? because it doesn't change the user experience and process updates without permission.

There is nothing to fear using an older (unsupported OS). Just wash your hands while surfing.

mwrich4

Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:44 pm

jamesh wrote:
PeterO wrote:
gsh wrote:
PeterO
"Imager.exe" Perhaps we could invest in a few digits after the name for version number ?
[ Properties lists: 1.1.0.0 3/9/2020 2:39PM ]

B.Goode

Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:40 pm

mwrich4 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:44 pm
jamesh wrote:
PeterO wrote:

PeterO
"Imager.exe" Perhaps we could invest in a few digits after the name for version number ?
[ Properties lists: 1.1.0.0 3/9/2020 2:39PM ]

You haven't actually downloaded, installed and used it, have you?

That .exe file is just an Installer. Its name doesn't tell you anything useful about the application it installs.

jamesh

Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:15 pm

mwrich4 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:37 pm
ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:59 pm
. . . but if you're running XP, you have bigger problems than that.
'https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... of-support'
End of support is not a big deal for hobbyists. If it works USE it until it dies.

I'm using Win7 which is the new XP. Why? because it doesn't change the user experience and process updates without permission.

There is nothing to fear using an older (unsupported OS). Just wash your hands while surfing.
Really? I think you are somewhat more confident than you should be. Surfing is not the only attack vector possible.

Man in a van

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:59 am

jamesh wrote:
flasher702 wrote:
The new imager doesn't seem to work very well.

Also, RaspberryPi Imager was very happy to let me burn the .zip archive of the .img file rather than burning the .img file itself.
Also, RaspberryPi Imager was very happy to let me burn the .zip archive of the .img file rather than burning the .img file itself.
I tried the fresh download this morning (Windows 10 Pro Desktop) and it is still doing this.
Failed to Verify" was the most common error message
Some progress with this, I unzipped the download

https://repo.picoreplayer.org/insitu/pi ... r6.0.0.zip

and the RPI imager did manage to burn the image (when I had tried previously ,it gave the "Failed to verify" message.

I don't feel willing to recommend this utility over the already available image makers :(

ronnie

Return to “Beginners”